Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A suggestion to you all: a SPF D3 SC/HC LADDER

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Lord_Vega, Mar 15, 2013. | Replies: 125 | Views: 5811

1. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

Hey again, good people of the SPF :D

After having tried getting back into D2 LoD only to find the inspiration and fun gone, due to having done this 100000 times before, I am hereby trying a suggestion to accomplish 2 goals:

A. Get me playing D3 again, with a sense of purpose and fun.
    B. Trying to get the D3 SPF going as a community again, as it seems it hasn't really gotten that on track as of yet.

My suggestion, as the title suggests, is starting our very own SPF Ladder, whether softcore, hardcore or both.
    The rules I am thinking of are something along these guildelines:

1. We play single player, but have the option to team up with other ladder players for private multiplayer games.

2. We play completely self found, and are not allowed to use the AH nor the RMAH. We can trade between our own ladder characters, and we can trade amonst our group of ladder players. Obivously, the SC and HD groups will have separate item pools.

3. We start a ladder documentation here on the SPF where we can update our progress ourselves, as well as tell of our heroic feats, great finds and untimely deaths right here on the forum. The brackets are on the last page of this thread. Simply quote the last post and edit your advancement in your post in order to keep track of everybody's advancement.

4. Gold- In case you are not doing a wipe and fresh start like yours truly, keep good track of the amount of gold you have in your respective stash before starting a ladder char, and keep updating the brackets with your current amount of gold found by that char. This will work on the honor system, and will make it possible to participate in the ladder without doing a wipe.

5. Artistans and stash tabs- We are all in different phases of our game, and we are not going to stress out about this. Whether you have all your tabs and upgrades or none, I believe at it's core, especially in HC, this is not what will help you top the ladder. Whatever you have, you go ahead and use it.

Here's a link to an older vid py Kripp, back when I got back into the game and started playing self found hardcore... I hope this is the right vid at least...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2OCMa2kOTA

You players will be able to choose whether you want to play the ladder SC or HD, and the chars will be stored and ranked on the same ladder, with the HC guys having just a bit extra pride in knowing they haven't died yet, hehe.

Personally I will be playing HC, even though my own connection ain't stable enough for the moment, having lost 3 wizards and one dh due to dissconnects already. The choice is up to you, but I feel there is nothing like the rush knowing you're mortal, in order to enjoy this game. The ones playing SC will focus on the race towards Pl100 self found, which would be fun in itself :crazyeyes:

Vega.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Fixed D2 and HD typos.

Welcome to the senility club.
  3. Lord_Vega

You the man, Thy! God knows I´m starting to get too old for this crap :p
    Let´s hope someone is interested, as I really want to make this work! :)
  4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

*waits for someone to point out I'm not a man*
  5. Lord_Vega

You´re all THE MAN to me, even if elite uniques :girly:How about this one joining the competition in order to gather some group morale, or even stating your opinion on it? :scratchchin:
  6. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I think it's a good idea.

The only thing that really interests me in the game is self found HC right now, although I don't think I'd play this still. I think you could probably run HC and SC together though, if nobody has any objections to it.
  7. Lord_Vega

Thanks Kes! Perhaps the smart idea would indeed be to be merge the two ladders, and simply marks the bolder heroes with a little HC mark, thus making it a bit more populated. Why wouldn't you try to join the fun? I know I would love playing by your side, as well as others, trading amongst ourselves, and seeing how far we get... HC mainly, but also SC if needed. Would love to get some support from you great mods here! Heck, I might even roll a monk or a witch doctor, something I've never done before at all in D3!
  8. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Suggestion: People can play on servers that they haven't played on yet. If you have lots of progress on NA servers, start this ladder on the Asian or EU servers.

I think this is a great idea, but I won't be joining, at least not right away. I'm having too much fun with my SC-mostly-self-found characters.
  9. Lord_Vega

That is definitely an option for someone who isn't ready to start completely over from scratch, or who needs a back up plan. Me? I have already deleted all my old SC and HC chars and got rid of all my gold, so the only thing that's left are the artistants, but at this point, I think most of us have them maxed or near maxed.

Personally, I wouldn't want to play on a different server in HC, seeing as I am experiencing disconnects even on my own european server.

Would love to have you along, SnickerSnack! :)
  10. Aremi

Aremi IncGamers Member

I did such account reset just right before the summer patch 1.0.4. Complete clear and wipe. Since then everything I got is SP SF, HC only, no AH, no trading.

I even leveled artisans again. This time in spreadsheet. For upgrades (BS, JC, stash) i just bought combination of pots in needed gold value and threw it away with tomes everytime. The gold is very limited and has real value then. The previously known plans should be allowed to use only once they drop again ofc.

It would be nice to join the ladder, but I've invested so much effort into in my SF characters.

I play all 5 classes, always on similar level, same acts while leveling. Since I've got 5x more loot than just one character, item ugrades are frequent and constant. I salvaged all useless loot and crafted. I have found some legendaries during leveling, all except two were upgrades. One legendary sword from Hell VoA even tripled my dps (from 3k to 10k), just before scary Belial. After that, in A3 Hell the 60+ loot was just too good. Currently having blast in A1 Inferno and I need to start farming better items for finishing the last 3 acts. Thus not even considering another reset now. :)
    However, I can only recommend SF HC. :punk:
  11. Lord_Vega

That is exactly the experience I am after, Aremi... coupled up with a feeling of commrodery by playing in a ladder system and sharing and reading experiences with other like minded SPF players such as myself. You could always start a new HC SF char for the ladder, and try to always keep track of what items and gold it has found by itself, I assume a lot would have to work on the honor system, but that is really not a concern for me, knowing there are good, reliable people here for the most part :)

If there really is no interest in this idea, I guess I will simply start my own HC SF char and play, ironically enough, as this forum name indicates.. alone :wink:
  12. Tasdaz

Tasdaz IncGamers Member

Salutations Lord_Vega my old friend. I am in and starting a HC character very shortly. I will be recording my starting gold with my character if that is ok, because wiping is just a little too extreme for me... Maybe the rules can be adjusted so you record gold and only spend what is found on a ladder character?
  13. Lord_Vega

Good too see you again around these parts, Tasdaz, old friend :)

I do seem to see the benefit in applying your method to playing the SPF ladder, as it seems there are not many people willing to wiping completely as I am, and it´s understandable!

So the way we can do this, is by recording gold on each session played in the ladder, and always keeping track of how much separate gold one has on his/her ladder char. The honor system has worked well in this forum for a long time, and I am sure this great bunch of peaople would trust eachother :)

With that being said, I am officially starting my char today, a HC Witch Doctor named Shaka Zulu, named after the most famous leader of the Zulu kingdom :) Will be fun sinceI cant say I´ve played more than a couple of hours as a WD since getting the game in last May!

Will be updating the thread afterwards! Feel free to join us!

Edit: Start status Lord_Vega

Gold: 0
    Blacksmith level: 9
    Jeweler level: 1
    Purchased stash tabs: 0

So pretty much a clean slate for me.
    I don't think it really matters how many artistant or stash upgrades we have as it's all going to even up in the end and the main purpose here is fun and commrodery, but I will ask you to post yours before beginning so we all know where we stand :)

Tasdaz, good luck on that Wiz! :)
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  14. Tasdaz

Tasdaz IncGamers Member

It's been a while, just like you lost interest in D3 too quickly. Just started my HC wizard HCLover.

Starting gold: 131,364

Edit: Sold all my HC items in my stash Starting Gold now 143,662 and stash empty
  15. Tasdaz

Tasdaz IncGamers Member

Hardcore Ladder

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 800, align: left"]
    Name Level/Paragon Profession Ladder Gold Highest Difficulty Alive/Dead HCLover 1/0 Wizard 0 Normal Alive Shaka Zulu 1/0 Witch Doctor 0 Normal Alive [/TABLE]

First attempt at ladder format. Any feedback is good :)

16. PandadudeSP

PandadudeSP IncGamers Member

It is indeed not a bad idea with a SPF ladder, but as you see a lot of those interested have already taken the leap previously and restarted as self found so doing it again seems counterintuitive. Despite some of us having slightly different honor codes in what is necessary for a restart I would still allow them to join with their current chars just to get more people to join.

A suggestion for people who are restarting but don't want to abandon their non-ladder chars completely is to trade your HC gold to SC gold (if you've played HC) and then sell your gold on the RMAH. Then it doesn't interfere with your regular gold pile and you don't have to remember that you have 8.7 mil or w/e you can't use but it can be converted back to gold easily.
  17. Tasdaz

Tasdaz IncGamers Member

I think the idea is to at least start a new character for the ladder and only use self found items/gold on ladder characters
  18. Lord_Vega

First update from the Zulu madman! :crazyeyes:

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 800, align: left"]
    Name Level/Paragon Profession Ladder Gold Highest Difficulty Alive/Dead HCLover 1/0 Wizard 0 Normal Alive Shaka Zulu 11/0 Witch Doctor 9303 Normal Alive [/TABLE]

Tasdaz, would love for you to edit the brackets a little bit, since you are definitely more tech saavy than me, hehe... I would like a build as well as a SC/HC option, even if that is rather clear from the dead/alive bracket. Even if builds are changing all the time here in D3 land, being able to see what the top living players are playing would be motivational to new entrees, I feel
    :)

As for Shaka Zulu, he is my very first attempt at a WD and such, I do not have almost any experience playing the char. All I know so far, is that firebats is a kickass skill in the beginning of the game, and that having a few meatshields is a great advantage when playing HC!

I think I will have to read more on WD builds, and find one that works well with my playing style. One based on Acid Cloud and perhaps firebombs, would be rather sweet, me thinks!
    :jig:

Here's my build so far, having gotten to level 11 and right before taking the ferry over to Worthham.

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skil...rMCswK1J1bmVfQiswKzArMCswKzArMjE3OTY4KzArMCsx

Shaka Zulu has been faring pretty well so far in HC land. The doggies support nice meatshield defense between him and his foes, while he peppers them with poision darts from afar, and firebats from close distance.

The first nice surprise was this little gem right here:

View attachment 4183

It might not be much, but nice to see old Griswald has served his purpose even after having turned into a rotting corpse! It was a nice upgrade and a farily decent low level weapon! :thumbsup:

Leoric was not at all dangerous, seeing as I am playing on mp1, and will probably keep doing so for most of my playtime with this character. His WW attack managed to scrape Shaka once, but a nice HP pool and some manouvering around fixed that issue quickly! He even was kind enough to drop this, a nice upgrade for a poor bushman!

View attachment 4184

Lastly, Shaka has started experimenting with crafting, something that is probably going to be used A LOT during his journey, and managed to craft himself a nice lvl 17 weapon... self found and self made feels great! :yes:

View attachment 4185

This is it so far, taking a short break, but will surely play some more today, as it's the weekend, and I have no plans but to relax and chill!
    Hope to hear of your adventures as well! Stay alive and prosper! :fire:
  19. Lord_Vega

As Tasdaz said, the idea is to strat from scratch (as much as possible) and race towards the higher levels. If we'd allow high level paragons to enter, this whole thing would be a moot point.

I love your idea to convert gold, though!

How about joining the ranks, Pandadude? ;)
  20. Tasdaz

Tasdaz IncGamers Member

Hardcore Ladder

[TABLE="class: cms_table_grid, width: 800, align: left"]
    [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Name[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Level/Paragon[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Profession[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Ladder Gold[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Highest Difficulty[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Alive/Dead[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]HCLover[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]9/0[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Wizard[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]8766[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Normal[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Alive[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Shaka Zulu[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]11/0[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Witch Doctor[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]9303[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Normal[/TD] [TD="bgcolor: #1A0000"]Alive[/TD] [/TABLE]