Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

50 years of Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dacar92, Aug 10, 2013. | Replies: 71 | Views: 11592

1. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

Ok guys. My favorite TV show is celebrating it's 50th year soon. So I think we need to help celebrate by our very own thread dedicated to the show. It's been 50 years since that grumpy old man walked out of the shadows and argued with two school teachers in a junkyard and started it all. We are actually in Season 33 at this time because it was off the air between 1990 and 2004, bar a TV movie in 1996. But it is still 50 years in November. So, having said all that, I want to pose a few questions/comments at you:

1. are you a Doctor Who fan? in passing? Or do you make it a point to watch every episode?
    2. have you seen the new series?
    3. Have you seen the classic series?
    4. Who is your favorite doctor? Why?
    5. What do you think of the 12th doctor who was announced earlier this week?
    6. What year did you become a fan/start to watch it?
    7. What other thoughts would you like to share?

Regarding the new doctor, I like the idea of an older doctor. But I worry because David Tennant and Matt Smith have catapulted this show into a global phenomenon and I hope that the younger people who watch it today like him as much and can identify with him as mush as they do the two previous doctors. I see Doctor Who stuff at stores here in the US and that excites me because I never saw merchandise in stores before. The show has never been more popular.

So, what are your plans for the 50th anniversary? Are you going through the stories from each doctor in the lead up to the 5oth anni episode in November? Could you care less? Are you a Star Trek fan who hates Doctor Who and wish it would go away? Sorry, not going to happen for quite a long time. :)

Unfortunately Doctor Who suffered through the period in the late 60's and early 70's where they threw away old episodes that had reached their global potential for resale. This was to make space to keep newer stuff. There are 106 episodes from the 1960's that are missing, thought to have been destroyed. Many of them will never be seen again. Many TV shows from the 60's suffered this same fate in Britain and also here in the US. Elsewhere most likely too.

For TL;DR, Doctor Who 50th anniversary this year. Like the show? Hate the show? Like the new doctor?

Discuss and let's celebrate the greatest TV show in history.
  2. BipolarChemist

BipolarChemist IncGamers Site Pal

1. Kind of. Seen the new series but I'm behind a couple of episiodes.
    2. Yep.
    3. Nope
    4. Well I've only seen the new series and my favourite of those doctors is Tennant. I thought his doctor was such a fun character, yet so tragic all at the same time. He played The Doctor very well.
    5. Older doctor sounds fun. Odd that he played a minor character in a previous episode, but I just find that funny. I'm excited to see what he'll do!
    6. I began watching in the 4th series of the new series, at the end of Tennant. I think I became a fan after my second viewing of all the episodes :p
    7. I should probably be studying for my exam in an hour.
  3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I saw the trailer for the 50th special at comic con, looks awesome, and met the guy who plays Inspector Spacetime while waiting in line.

1. Haven't seen a lot of the old ones, hard to find some of them, I've see many of the iconic ones.
    2. All of it
    3. See #1
    4. Sylvester McCoy had the best outfit
    5. Hey its that ******* from Torchwood
    6. 2006
    7. Have they released the trailer for the 50th yet? Moffat threatened everybody not to record it and its stayed exclusive for awhile
  4. Elly

Elly Administrator

In case anyone doesn't know who the knew Doctor is. He's Peter Capaldi whose best known (loved) character is government spin doctor Malcolm Tucker with the most monumental potty mouth.

Someone spliced a Dr Who trailer together with some clips of Malcolm Tucker.

Most definitely NSFW.

5. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

[h=1]Doctor Who: 47 Years in 6 Minutes[/h]

I'm over 50 been around for it all.
  6. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Rory McHoan is the new Doctor? Will he ride a motorbike?
  7. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

1. I've been a Dr Who fan for a very long time.
    2. Yep, I was disappointed with the last series and got thoroughly jacked off with Amy and Rory.
    3. Again yep. I think I've seen most episodes from the 70s to the early 80s and a smattering of the rest.
    4. I'm a Tom Baker man.
    5. He looks good, Matt Smith was starting to grate a bit.
    6. Early 70s
    7. I saw pix of Capaldi and he was holding his collar the way Hartnell use to, I hope it means we are going to return to a more grumpy doctor.
  8. Dacar92

There are rumors of missing episodes from the 60's being back in the BBC's hands. If anyone doesn't know about missing 60's television I would recommend a quick google search. There are loads of television from the 60's (and earlier) and early 70's that has gone missing for various reasons. Most were erased to record over and some were thrown out in the trash to make room in archives. This was when they thought the commercial value was gone. Sales to foreign television stations were complete and the value just was no longer there. Home video had not yet taken off.

Currently there are 106 episodes of Doctor Who that are not in the BBC archives. Some are thought to have returned. There are various forms of this rumor, which has been dubbed the Omnirumor. Some say about 17 episodes are returned, some say 40, some as high as 90 episodes have been found and returned. Whatever the number, I am happy to see one episode returned. New rumors today say that an announcement from the BBC is imminent. Let's hope it is a positive announcement and not a rumor denial.
  9. Ash Housewares

that would be neat, I know that they had audio preserved from some of the lost episodes and animated them, which is interesting but I haven't looked into it yet
  10. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

11. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

So apparently this is the last Doctor.
    It’s a bit of Doctor Who canon that long-time fans have been pointing out more and more lately, as we head toward the introduction of Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor. The whole reason we’ve had more than one Doctor in the first place is because of the Time Lord’s handy ability to regenerate into a new body whenever he’s mortally wounded. Sure, sometimes he doesn’t want to go (*sob*), but it means he can keep on exploring time and space indefinitely. Except not really. The show established long ago — specifically in the Tom Baker serial The Deadly Assassin — that a Time Lord can only regenerate a total of twelve times. Who executive producer Steven Moffat seems to have just confirmed that tenet of Who mythology…so what does that mean for the show?

[​IMG]
  12. Ash Housewares

it means nothing, they already have an extra doctor getting crammed into the 50th anniversary special
  13. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

LOL at Ash !

Duh Sherlock Holmes fell of a cliff and died once

It's never the end but it's fun to watch as they scurry around for the explanation.
  14. Dacar92

The 12th doctor would be the 11th regeneration. So, according to the throw away line in the Baker era, there can be one more doctor.

But if, in approximately 6 years the show is still doing well, why would the BBC end it because of a line of dialogue 35 years ago?
  15. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Where does River Song's gift of life come into things? She gave up all her regenerations to save him.
  16. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

17. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

18. Ash Housewares

The trailer for it was awesome, I still haven't seen it posted anywhere in any shape or form so only the SDCC crowd has seen it to my knowledge

so you can just take my word for it that it was awesome
  19. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

This scene seems to be going mEmE.

I so want to link a /alt Aristocrats link.
  20. Dacar92

Rumors still around that a cache of missing television from the 60's has been found. Doctor Who missing episodes is supposedly a part of it. The latest is than an announcement from the BBC or other entity is coming very soon.

EDIT: Looks like I sad the same thing about a month ago. Let's hope they are right this time.