Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

5 Gem questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Zorviny, May 2, 2012. | Replies: 36 | Views: 3232

1. Zorviny

Zorviny IncGamers Member

5 Gem questions

1.) Where will gems be stored? Do we put them in our inventory or does one of the artisans hold on to them for us.

2.) Are different gems level specific? Like if I get a chipped can it only be used by level 6 an up like in d2.

3.) Do all gems upgrade to the next level with three of the same?

4.) is there any combining of multiple gems to get the powers of each?

5.) how many sockets will there be in each item type, and what items are socketable?
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. RAMailley

RAMailley IncGamers Member

Re: 5 Gem questions

You have a hand slot. You can hold up to 5 gems in your hand at any given time. Others will have to be tossed. Gems CANNOT be placed into your inventory or stash.

Nah, just messin'.

1) Inventory or stash.
    2) I'm assuming this will be the case, as higher level gems would be very strong on low level characters. That being said, nobody is going to throw perfect gems into cracked leather armour.
    3) I believe so.
    4) I think you mean combining. I don't believe this is the case, although gem stats are not finalized on the website.
    5) That's up to the developers. Different items will have different max sockets. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe sockets roll independent of any other affixes. Also, I think almost everything can have sockets. I am not sure about gloves, boots, and belts. But I know rings and amulets can now.
  3. Bowzer

Bowzer <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

1.) Where will gems be stor? Do we put them in our inventory or does one of the artisans hold on to them for us.

They stack, but we are not sure how many stack. 100 maybe?

2.) Are different gems level specific? Like if I get a chipped can it only be used by level 6 an up like in d2.

Level specific

3.) Do all gems upgrade to the next level with three of the same?

No, you need gold now and to use jeweler

4.) is there any comparing of multiple gems to get the powers of each?

What?
  4. RAMailley

RAMailley IncGamers Member

Didn't know about the gold cost. Sounds like a decent gold sink.

5. Zorviny

Zorviny IncGamers Member

Sorry combining on my phone and auto correct messed it up. Should be - is there any combining of multiple different gems to get 1 gem with a variety of abilities.
  6. Zorviny

Zorviny IncGamers Member

I didn't know about the gold cost too for upgrading, gold might hold its value yet! So is it gold, plus the artisan has to be upgraded enough to do the upgrade, and multiple gems? Seems like a decent sink!
  7. gruenel

gruenel IncGamers Member

Game guide currently says "Maximum stack amount: 30".

8. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

All gems have a required level of 1. Meaning: you can give a new character a max level gem and have him or her just cruise through normal. They intend gems to be the ultimate twinking abilities that make successive runs through the game easier. People will be giving their twinks weapons with Radiant Star Topazes and watch while low level bosses one-hit themselves from the thorns damage. (Of course it will be a long time until people have that high of a level of gems).

All upgrades require 3 of the lower type + gold (and you have to find the recipe to make many of those, as well). That's why, unless botting or duping affects things, max level gems are going to equal untold thousands of hours of playing time.

Sadly no Captain Planet style gem combinations (smashing two gems together would just dilute their purity anyways!)

9. Eeryck

Eeryck IncGamers Member

I believe artisan costs for one Lvl 14 gem is 500,000gold.

10. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

I doubt they'll keep gems level-requirement-free. It makes no sense, at least not for the stat-increasing ones.
  11. beingmused

It makes more or less the same sense as artisans being account wide.

I think the logic is as follows:
    - Because it will take a very long time to find enough level 1-4 gems to make a high level one, the game will have been out for awhile before most people are able to exploit this very much.

By that time, people who are leveling a new character probably want to rush through the easier difficulties. In D2 almost everyone rushes, but they do it by exploiting group XP bonuses, waypoint shennagins, etc. They want to give people a shortcut for their 4th and 5th characters (and for leveling up your 20th and beyond HC characters, stuff like that), but instead of exploiting the game to get into hell difficulty, we get to move our gems around and use those. On that basis I like their lack of a minimum level.

12. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

They'll make LLD pvp (if any comes to exist) funny too.
  13. Taerix

Taerix IncGamers Member

Will gems start dropping right away on release, or do they start showing up in Act 2 and beyond or something like that?
  14. beingmused

Chipped gems have an item level of 14, so you probably won't see them until Act2, or maybe some late in Act 1.

15. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

has it been confirmed that no level requirement on gems? they would be the ultimate twink. well not as much now that we cant add our own sockets
  16. beingmused

Yup. That's what they have stated for a long time - http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/blue-info-on-level-14-gems

And that's what the game guide and datamining says, they all have a level requirement of 1.

17. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i like it. makes gems even more valuable imo. still wish we could add sockets though
  18. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

It's very weird to me that a game developer would intentionally put in mechanics to allow you to rush past the content they've spent years creating. Seriously, why not just let me start a Hell-level character and be done with it?
  19. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Just about anything with good stats has a level requirement. I don't see why gems should be any different. I doubt it'll stay that way on release.

Artisans may give you a bit of a shortcut, but you still can't use items that are too strong for your level since you won't meet the level requirements.
  20. beingmused

There is no chance that many months from now - which is how long it will take for people to build up good gems - anyone is going to be complaining that you can give your new characters good twink gear to make normal difficulty easier. Being able to do the early levels quickly if you've put in a ton of work for it is fine, not like skipping entire acts and getting rushed by higher level characters a la D2.