Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

4 players Maximum opinions

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by sunflowersmooth, Apr 6, 2013. | Replies: 9 | Views: 896

1. sunflowersmooth

sunflowersmooth IncGamers Member

How do you guys feel about this?

I do not think it makes or breaks the game but 4 players max I feel is a let down. It really brings down the social aspect of the game and group discovery feelings. I know whenever I play in a public game and 4 people are in there I honestly feel like one or more is missing. Not in terms of gameplay, but just in terms of feel. Look at games like Guild Wars 2, that encourage large numbers and Diablo 2 in which an impressive 8 were allowed. That MADE the game for so many people. I'm not saying 8 is necessary, but at least 6, and I certainly feel the more the merrier. Now that they have taken a serious stance in it, it is even worse -_-
  2. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

Maybe it will be increased in the expansion. But during development and after release when they were asked about it, they said more than 4 just wasn't fun and they wanted players to have the most fun experience they could.
  3. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

I enjoyed big games in D2, but for whatever reason it seems like 8 would be silly in D3. Don't know whether it's the skills, map design, enemy count/design/skills, lack of synergy between players compared to D2, or maybe something else.
  4. Flux

Flux Administrator

I think 8 was suboptimal in D2, and they just had it since 8 was more than 4 and they thought they should increase the number in the sequel. If you actually looked at the game, no one ever played 8 chars on the same screen with any kind of teamwork, which is how the D3 devs wanted MP to work in their game. 8p worked (sort of) in D2 since people would just enter the same areas and mob the cows all 8 at once, sharing exp and gold (even if 4 of them were usually lvl 18 standing by the portal leeching).

D3 didn't want that play style. Didn't want players all over different areas or acts in the same game, and wanted people to play togeher in smaller groups. Which were good design ideas, but they failed to include sufficient shared skills or other benefits for party play, so we've had 10 months of 4p game limits, crappy public game options, and no real party benefits. Thankfully, they're starting to address those issues. At last.

Imagine D3 had allowed up to 8p all along... why would anyone have done it? People hardly played public games at all; imagine if the exp/mf/gf didn't increase, but monsters had way higher hps in 8p games. The only improvement would have been a reduction in people asking why there weren't 8p games in D3.
  5. Dacar92

The only time I have seen 8 players work in unison was during Baal runs. I have run Baal [what seems like] thousands of times with different characters in 8 player games. Everyone stands around while the Pally or Sorc go find the throne room then TP's everyone down there. Teamwork takes the minions down and then Baal, usually in a couple minutes per run. It worked and I daresay that this was nearly the only time 8 players really worked well. Unless it was 8 friends running through the game from the beginning, which I did too.
  6. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

I think 4 is enough. It makes me feel as if I have to do something.
    With 8 players, I usually just let others do the work and ninja'd all the items.
  7. Dacar92

So it was you! I wondered where all those IK armors and Tyrael's Might's were going. Well, now we know.[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/SIZE]
  8. rockoffire

rockoffire IncGamers Member

I hate 4 and I loved 8. What made 8 good was that you could be in different parts of the game (dare I even say different Acts) at the same time. I absolutely hate how 'closed' the d3 world is.
  9. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

Yes, but now I have changed. You could say that D3 made me a better person!
  10. Flux

Flux Administrator

Yeah, but that's what I said above... imagine D3 had allowed up to 8 all along. People joined the same game in D2 and played in diff areas since you got increased exp and drops in bigger games. I loved doing Baal runs solo in 8p cow games, before everyone caught on that Baal runs were the way to go. But no one would do that in D3 since playing solo in a big game just increases monster hps w/o any boost to exp or drops.

So any "D3 should allow 8p" has to include a request for scaling exp and drops or other bonuses, ala D2. Otherwise it's a request for a feature that no one would actually want or like or use.