Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

3 Skills for Lvl 30. Pally?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Killboy, Sep 7, 2013. | Replies: 2 | Views: 923

1. Killboy

Killboy IncGamers Member

My Paladin is level 30, and I've saved 3 skill points until now. I'm pretty good without the points and I'm grinding without problems. On Act IV, been playing on /player 8 the entire time (Still no problems on player 8). I use Zeal (Lvl 5) as my primary attack and my secondary is Holy Freeze (Lvl 5) and Level 5 Thorns on boss battles, hard-to-kill-uniques, etc..
    All my enemies are killed in 2-3 hits and otherwise they don't hit me much due to my freeze aura.

My question for you experienced Pallys; should I dump more points into zeal/thorns/freeze or add something to maybe Fist Of The Heavens? Is FOTH worth it? Thks.

edit: I could only get 1 point in FOTH 'cause I dont have the prerequisites. I haven't killed Diablo yet. c;
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

While I think Fist of the Heavens is underrated for PvM, it requires its own specialized equipment and stat distribution (to make the skill strong, you really want to put a lot of points into it, Conviction, and Holy Shock). I'd advise leaving it alone. If you play more paladins and start running out of variations to try, then you might want to look into making a paladin that focuses on Fist of the Heavens. For now, the skill really isn't worth it.

It looks like you're taking a fairly cosmopolitan approach, which might help you familiarize yourself with the paladin's skills, and which will probably be able to take you through Normal difficulty with few problems. If you want to progress through the higher difficulties, you'll probably want to respec (if you're playing a fully patched game) in order to focus on particular skills. It sounds like you're fine for now. Do look out though: Act V has much stronger monsters than Act IV and things might get a lot more hectic after you beat Diablo (I'm assuming you're playing with the expansion).

Since you indicate that you're mainly using Zeal with Holy Freeze, here are the places I'd think points would benefit you the most...

-Holy Freeze: You already know how this works. Whatever aura you use most should have lots of skill points in it, so that that it's as strong as possible. If you keep using Holy Freeze, it's best to max it (that means you'll eventually have 20 points in the skill). Be aware that if you beat the Normal game and want to continue into Nightmare difficulty, some monsters will be immune to cold. You can still kill them, usually with the physical damage of your Zeal, but it will take longer and Holy Freeze won't help you against those monsters.

-Sacrifice: You don't actually use this skill, but putting points into it makes your Zeal do more damage. If you want to continue using Zeal as your primary attack, it's a very good idea to max Sacrifice. Points into Sacrifice add more damage to your Zeal than points into Zeal itself.

-Zeal: While 5 is the maximum number of hits that Zeal has, putting more points into the skill does increase its damage and attack rating. You probably don't have any trouble hitting monsters right now, but you're eventually going to want a high attack rating for your Zeal.

-Holy Shield: More points into Holy Shield can increase your chance to block, defense, and the duration of the skill. Unless you're determined to use a two-handed weapon, Holy Shield is a great skill for you.

-Fanatacism: This would eventually replace Holy Freeze, as there's no point in having both. I'm bringing it up because this aura gives a substantial boost to your damage, attack rating, and attack speed. It's everything Zeal needs. You'd lose your cold damage, but your physical damage would go through the roof. You might find that you like Fanatacism better than Holy Freeze.

-Resist Cold: If you decide to stick with Holy Freeze as your aura, points into Resist Cold, even if you never actually use the aura itself, will enhance the cold damage of your Holy Freeze. But it'd be better to put the points into Holy Freeze first. If you do decide to make it your aura of choice for this paladin, put your points into Holy Freeze, Zeal, and Sacrifice, but also get a high enough level of Holy Shield that you're comfortable with its duration (that shouldn't take much). Then, when you get higher in level, start putting points into this skill to make your Holy Freeze more powerful. If you want even more cold damage, you could max this skill and then start putting points into Salvation, which also enhances your Holy Freeze.
  3. Killboy

Killboy IncGamers Member

Very helpful, thanks.