Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

2010 Blizzard Global Writing Contest - Winning entry and runner-up excerpts

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Varquynne, Mar 15, 2011. | Replies: 2 | Views: 5409

1. Varquynne

Varquynne IncGamers Member

2010 Blizzard Global Writing Contest - Winning entry and runner-up excerpts

I believe the winners and story titles have been known for some time now, but Blizzard hadn't posted the winning entry or the runner-up excerpts... until now. Bashiok posted an update in the official Diablo III forums regarding this.

Not a single Diablo story among the finalists. Not certain about the honorable mentions, but three have the potential of being based in the Diablo universe judging from the titles.

Glancing over this year's and last year's winning entry, it seems the judges enjoy story structure that translates into a lot of "white space". I guess it's time to try and lean towards a more dialog heavy approach.

Edit: The Fan Fiction subforum is probably more appropriate for this thread. Apologies.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. Holyknight3000

Holyknight3000 D3 Fan Creations Forum Moderator

Re: 2010 Blizzard Global Writing Contest - Winning entry and runner-up excerpts

moved to the fan fic forums for ya Var
  3. Tulklas

Tulklas IncGamers Member

Re: 2010 Blizzard Global Writing Contest - Winning entry and runner-up excerpts

To be honest I think Blizzard's writing is poor and I think their storytelling is poor.

I am a huge fan of their games but I have never been impressed by their ability to write or storytell.

Their overarching backstories are only decent because they are created by Blizzard's overall very talented staff and not just Metzen's team.

Also, I think their world class art goes a long way to camouflage mediocre story.

In other words, I don't think they are very good or well qualified critics.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011