Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

15% fee is outrageous, need 3rd party websites suggestions ! der=0

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by snowcatcher, Apr 13, 2012. | Replies: 79 | Views: 3463

1. snowcatcher

snowcatcher Banned

15% fee is outrageous, need 3rd party websites suggestions !

Well since the 15% fee hit the rmah, selling end game items for 20$ and up is out of the question. No company in the world charge for 15% fee for any money transaction services. I wasn't very d2 active player, nor i was interested in selling/buying gear, so if some d2 veteran can point out a few good webistes where we can advertise and arrange for sale with another users feel free to post here.

Also, is it against the diablo.incgamers.com rules to post here any end game gear that we want to sell on player to player basis without using the rmah for the obvious reasons?

Edit: well since i first read about the 15% transaction fee, i knew smth was wrong here, blizzard said they will keep the fees low, and they will be fixed (non percent based). It seems it was just some bug in the beta patch 16, Blizzard, you rox once again :D
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

Re: 15% fee is outrageous, need 3rd party websites suggestions !

You seriously think you'll find an item worth more than 20$?
    That sounds like a top-tier rare item prize.

I never found anything beyond 3$ in D2
  3. kazyn

kazyn IncGamers Member

I suspect early on there will be items worth hundreds.

4. Pheal

Pheal IncGamers Member

Doom doom doom! Theres governments that charge the same thing on all goods. Its not like any of us is going to declare it for income tax...
  5. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Not early on but possibly later on when something is proven to be super rare. I don't think anyone is willing to put several hundreds into a virtual item before they are absolutely sure of what they are buying.

6. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Someone bought a rare sword for $20k before the game was even launched (not d3). This sparked huge controversy. People will pay big.
  7. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

As a tax consultant I fully expect everyone to report it on their return as Virtual Sale Income (VSI).

:rolf:

For the majority of items wouldn't the 15% actually save us money? Only the few high end pieces will be really costing you more.

8. Boi

Boi IncGamers Member

In the beginning, everything's gonna worth hundreds, 2 months later, few dollars.

9. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Yeah. 15% means items can go a lot further down in price than they could before.
    Sadly it also gives Blizzard even more incentive to balance droprates in the game to maximize their own income :/
  10. TwiiK

TwiiK IncGamers Member

Seems retarded.

Basically means you'll throw all your crap on the RMAH, but when you find something actually good you'll turn to the black market. I thought the RMAH was made to get rid of the black market, not to fund Blizzard.

Give us a monthly fee for playing instead then if income is the issue.
  11. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

I would think one could just use ebay unless ebay has banned it.

I just checked ebay. Someone is selling 20jahs and 20bers for 5$. I didn't realize that you could get that for 5$... but anyways, it looks to me that there should be no problem using ebay to sell d3 items. I might even do that myself rather than using RMAH.

edit: I would suspect there would be tons of stuff that would go for more than 20$. But why not just everyone use ebay to avoid paying fees for everything? That would make Blizzard upset, I'm sure. Even if ebay decided to ban selling online items, unless somehow Blizzard could force you to use their service for buying and selling items (which seems unlikely), it seems to me that some entrepreneur would likely create a website similar to ebay just for selling d3 items. I hope that happens anyway and that the site is good. 15% is outrageous, I agree. Where does Blizzard say the fee for using RMAH is 15%?

Legally, Blizzard could state in it's EULA that you could only use their service to sell items, but I doubt that would stand up in court. But, I don't know that much about the law, maybe it would. Its possible that since Diablo 3 isn't an essential service (i.e. one does not need to play diablo 3 to survive, although that point is debatable), and since Blizzard can claim ownership of all online content, Blizzard could argue it can charge any %fee it wants and then force you via it's EULA to only use their online service. That would be very crappy and I would hope the courts would rule against Blizzard in that case.
  12. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

I wish I knew Java, or I might create a 3rd party website myself. I wouldn't think a website for selling and buying d3 items would be all that difficult to make. Of course, any entrepreneur making such a website would almost certainly need to have a lawyer ready to face Blizzard's lawyers.
  13. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

The buyer doesn't care how much of a cut the seller is getting from the sale. They are going to want to get the greatest value from their purchase. If an item is equally priced on the RMAH and on a third-party site, the buyer is going to choose the RMAH version for the convenience and the added security of the transaction.

To sell an item on the third-party site, you will have to price it below what you would get on the RMAH. The value you can get away with might be in-between that 15% difference or it might not.
  14. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

Good point Raesene. The more I think about all the different problems with not using RMAH the more 15% seems not so bad. For items that are 100$ or less anyway. Any items that would sell for $1000 or more I would think you'd want to sell somewhere else, but I'm not sure how many items like that (if any) there would be. It's hard to say, but I do predict records to be broken for how much online items would be selling for, so I would think there would be some things that would go for $1000 or more, but it's hard to say whether there would be a lot of items like that or not (and I'm not even sure what I mean by "a lot").

edit: Even if you did find an item that was worth $200 or more and used RMAH to sell your item, you're still doing pretty good, considering that the game itself only costs 60$. Now that I think about it, it seems more likely that the higher the price the more the buyer would want to use RMAH so he wouldn't get scammed.

15. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

They need to have *something* to stop the flood of TROLLLOLOLOLOLOL postings. As it stands without a listing fee, there will now always be a huge number of grey items posted for tens of thousands of dollars.
  16. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

I'm sure if that became a problem they would do something about it.
  17. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

is the 15% fee just for the transaction fee or does it cover everything? if it covers everything i see no problem with it at all. actually i dont think 15% is bad either way
  18. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

I thought it was bad until I started thinking about it. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than "$1.25 flat fee." which was Blizzard's first idea. At least if you're Blizzard.
  19. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

they are providing a service and should be paid for that service. the flat fee would have ensured no items ever sold for less than that, now you are losing 15% of the sale meaning you are still going to profit 85%. thing is, the item you are selling was free so everything you get is pure profit
  20. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

I don't think you should compere Diablo 2 item prices with Diablo 3. For once, it's an almost 12 years old game. Second thing is dupes. After a month of new ladder season there is as much HR's, SoJ's, etc., as it should be reached after 4 years of farming and botting. Market is just overflow with items and obviously prices will be very low.
    If Blizzard manage to completely block dupes (and they should, in WoW there is no such thing as "duplicated items") and Inferno will be very hard to farm then "uber perfect end-game" items will be extremely rare on RMAH. And such prices can be very high. Especially for few months after release.