Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

10M builds

Discussion in 'Monk' started by pulli, Dec 14, 2012. | Replies: 27 | Views: 5973

1. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Hey what builds are possible for 10m???

Apart from the utterly annoying sweeping wind variants - I want to make a build without sw.
  2. Wonderdays

Wonderdays IncGamers Member

Search for invisuk monk from uk he is streaming on twitch
  3. Pizzarino

Pizzarino IncGamers Member

If I wanted to start a budget monk, I would go for the dedicated 2h Tempest Rush build. The goal with this is to farm with a continuous Tempest Rush and Sweeping Wind on, killing mobs at a low MP by just flying through them. Hitting with Tempest Rush refreshes Sweeping Wind the same as an auto attack, so there is no need to slow down to left click on anything but an elite pack.

This build is "budget" because it best uses a 2her. Tempest Rush actually "casts" slower with a slower attack speed. Not only does this drain less spirit and keep the rush going longer, it makes otherwise unusable 2hers good for the build. There's no need to use anything else with increaed attack speed, either. Ignoring attack speed on rare gloves and jewelry will get more meaningful mods for the slots on a budget. It also makes some expensive legendaries (Mempo, Inna's pants, Lacunis, Witching Hour) easy to avoid.

The build would use any auto attack on left click and Tempest Rush on right click. The hotkeys are Breath of Heaven, Blinding Flash, Sweeping Wind, and Mantra of Conviction. Consider Crippling Wave with the Rising Tide rune to assure you get full spirit instantly when stopping for an elite pack. The Master Of Wind rune on Sweeping Wind can keep the skill going longer while running between enemies. Cyclones are not as effective with extremely low attack speed.

For passives, use Fleet Footed and at least one passive for spirit regen. Keep in mind the Guardian's Path will also increase spirit regen, but only becomes better at passive regen than Exalted Soul above 2.8 per second.

Some items to bargain hunt for with a tempest rush build:

A monstrous 2h rare with 150%+ CHD, 5%+ life steal, and massive dex/vita mods. A socket is completely optional and may be a wasted stat next to a good CHD roll. Don't bother looking for a daibo with spirit regen, maces (Doom Hammer) and polearms (Dread Lance) are the slowest in the game. Any 2her that isn't named "Skorn" will be super cheap!

A rare spirit stone with a high spirit regen stat. The Madstone legendary would work but you need a socket for the one random mod. Inna's helm can have spirit regen and combine with the chest or belt for a 2 piece bonus, but may not be on budget.

Mara's Kelidescope for increased spirit regen and possibly a tempest rush or auto attack modifier.
  4. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

On the topic of tempest rush: I really like SSS (Fulminating Onslaught) with it. You're already using (or should be using) a slow, high damage-per-hit 2-hander. Guess what skill makes slow, high damage-per-hit 2-handers almost instant death for elite packs? XD
  5. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

Basically, the build they talk about is what's being discussed here http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?841386-Tempest-Rush-build-think-it-s-possible

Avoiding getting too much AS is really important, or it will drain your spirit using tempest rush much faster. Problem with the build imo is that you want to use at least 2 passives for spirit regen, which may mean that you suffer some survival issues. Another pain with the build is the knockback from Tempest Rush. It is damn annoying if the mob doesn't die when you run through it the first time.
  6. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Pizzarino he mentions that he doesn't like sweeping wind and you recommend a sweeping wind build :)
  7. windstriker

Well, problem is that there's no useful build without SW atm. And it's not likely to change before christmas :)
  8. Pizzarino

If it means anything Sweeping Wind will probably be unusable in PVP :O
  9. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Oh, it's a definite PvP skill. It has unsurpassed leeching, and is 30-40% of your damage...

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Backlash has great leech too...but not quite as much as a ton of cyclones around.
  10. Pizzarino

Here, stand still really close to me and try not to kite me for longer than 6 seconds at a time...
  11. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Monks have a tough time teleporting onto people, I know. 3 skills can do it, and 1 that can chase down the fastest DH and WD. Woe are we.
  12. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Well it is not so much that I don't want sweeping wind as in that I want something different (yet equally good). All guides I read are basically "flavours" to sweeping wind builds. Who use SW as main spirit user and the rest is supportive to that.
  13. mr.dines

mr.dines IncGamers Member

With the tempest rush build you can at least try alternative runes for SW... But don't think you can find any build totally without SW with similar efficacy.
  14. windstriker

I do not have SW as main spirit spender. Tempest rush is my main spirit spender :p
  15. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

leeching wont mean jack in PVP - because in PVP your enemies wont have 2 million HP and 0 mitigation (like PVE) -

they have 40-100k hp and 2/3 to ~11/12 mitigation (or even more with dodge / shieldblocks + active skills)

lets see how happy you will be with your leeching when your 2 million real dps Monk suddenly deals only 200k real dps (or even less if blizzard introduces a PVP rule buff) and thus only leeches 1200 HP/S instead of 12000 HP/S
  16. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Why do you talk about something about which there is no indication IF it will be implemented EVER.
  17. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

lifeleech heals you according to much dmg you deal. what more is there to know ?

it is also known that pretty much everyone who played this game for 3 digit number has atleast like 450 all res and 3k armor or an equivalent amount to that ? do you really think that you'll receive heals for dmg you dont deal ?
  18. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

LMAO. It's not like I claimed the Monk will be a leech tank. Besides, the monsters having a ridiculous ton of health is the exact same as a player with that much EHP. If it takes 500K damage to take down a 40K player, it's like you killed a 500K hp monster. *DISCLAIMER* Life Replenishment benefits EHP more*/DISCLAIMER*

That said, my point I was making was that Sweeping Wind is a huge chunk of your damage. Your "200K real DPS" is ~100K without it. Like I said, we have 4 skills available to ensure we can keep a constant stack of sweeping wind. The idea that the opponent must remain stationary forever is invalid. In reality, Thunderclap will always keep you on the opponent, even if they run. A WD could get away since he's invisible, but Dashing Strike will tele at a greater distance. Seven Sides Strike even has a teleport rune (as well as a wide radius on its own) that deals vastly more damage than Dashing. Tempest Rush[/u] maintains a high run while refreshing SW with every hit. You can run down kiters and keep them in DPS. Exact methods will have to be fleshed out in detail when classes collide, but we have more than enough to keep up with people are are by no means a mere sitting duck, even for sweeping wind. Oh, and its radius can be increased :p
  19. Pizzarino

Life leech vs EHP isn't what you think. If you have over 2mil EHP that means when something hits you, a lot of the time the hit does no damage because it's a shield block or a dodge. That's no life leach. The other times the damage get's cut by 65% by armor and 65% by resistances, cutting down the life leech per hit the attacker can get. LOH would be the same.

Sweeping Wind is tied with Wave of Light as the highest spirit cost skill with no rune to reduce the cost. Casting it vs another player pays half a full spirit bar up front and will only build up to full power/deal damage if you can stay in melee rage, which the other player will do everything to prevent. The nightmare scenario for a PVP monk is just never getting to deal melee damage and regain spirit. SW seems like a win more when you're winning/lose more when you're losing type of skill to me. It's the best PVE skill ever, though.
  20. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Again, it's a no brainer they'll try to get away. It's moot since they have no way of escaping a Monk.