Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1 Trick Pony Barbarian

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Musashi, Sep 30, 2011. | Replies: 15 | Views: 1491

1. Musashi

Musashi IncGamers Member

1 Trick Pony Barbarian

I saw a video of Frenzy in action in beta using a dual wielding barb. I was fascinated how quickly it dispatched Leoric. Battle Rage was going at the same time as far as I could tell so that didn't hurt either, I'm sure. Still just standing there swinging that quickly without having to spend time running around or aiming or whatever seemed very sensible, no fuss and no muss.

So it got me to thinking, since it worked so well, why not try to build a barbarian that will utilized just ONE SKILL? Yes, that's right, the ONLY direct attack skill will be FRENZY!

I present to you:

The 1 Trick Pony Barbarian

Frenzy-Crimson (Maniac) lvl 11
    **With 1 Attack you will be maxed out most of the time, adding 100% damage additional with each whack. With the speed of these attacks, that is a LOT of extra damage when Dual Wielding!

Threatening Shout-Obsidian (Terrify) lvl 2
    **I'm going to be knee deep in the bad guys faces the whole time, need extra armor. I like the Obsidian Rune only because it basically says the baddies crap their pants, and dump extra treasure. I find this highly amusing, plus none of the Rune affects are all that stellar so why not go for the loot?

Battle Rage-Crimson (Marauder's Rage) lvl 3
    **This adds 100% Damage during the affect. It will last 1 minute due to Inspiring Presence. So this is 100% more damage on top of Frenzy's approximately 180% per whack. 280% for each whack dual wielding at Frenzy speed is nothing to sneeze at!

War Cry-Obsidian (Impunity) lvl 14
    **nothing is going to last long that's standing in front of you. It's the guys shooting stuff at you that is going to be the problem, so the 80% Resist buff of the Obsidian is sweetsauce.

Overpower-Indigo (Storm of Steel) lvl 18
    **With the blur of blades that Frenzy is going to be when dual wielding, that is more opportunity to land crits. This skill also costs nothing and doesn't require any button mashing, it just appears when a crit lands. Again, no fuss no muss. The Storm of Steel affect helps with an AOE that I'm lacking. I expect to use a lot of +crit gear to help add to the +crit you get from Battle Rage. This Storm of Steel will help greatly and still allow me to only use one main skill!

Wrath of the Berserker-Golden (Thrive On Chaos) lvl 29
    **I don't like having a build rely heavily on a high level skill to make it work. This will most importantly add the 45% faster attack speed to my already super fast Frenzy. The Golden Rune should help keep this up for a fair amount of time and if I hit War Cry during it that will help extend a few more seconds too. Basically I see this as my boss killer helper. If I'm standing right there whacking away at a boss, my frenzy will stay maxed and my increased attack speed by using WOTB will make short work of the problem!

Passives: Bloodthirst, Inspiring Presence, Unforgiving

If there is any gear that allows +attack speed, besides just using fast weapons, than this should make me a Human Food Processor!

[​IMG]

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fgYbhP!ach!ZcZcYb

What do you all think?1 Trick Pony going to bore the heck out of you?
    Too much clicking since little to no AOE?
    Any other feedback appreciated!
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Re: 1 Trick Pony Barbarian

No hammer of the ancients or sesmic slam is asking for trouble with AOE and overall gimped damage build (they cost fury for a reason). Or at least something like weapon throw or whatever that will make use of your fury to deal even more damage...
  3. Musashi

Musashi IncGamers Member

Battle Rage and Threatening shout are going to be getting used every chance they pop up. WOTB every 2 minutes. There is some rage expenditure right there.

But it's a good point, I have a lot of Rage built up with likely not an outlet for it.
    That has me thinking I'll swap my first passive out (Bloodthirst) for (Berserker Rage) at level 17. That gives me 20% more damage when fury is maxed.

I would have to see if I could survive without a heal. I could use the Alabastar Rune (the heal one) for War Cry and see what was more valuable based on this play style....health or Resistance.
  4. Joshertw

Joshertw IncGamers Member

I would swap WoB for HoA with the extra lewtz rune and use this as my farmer.

Something like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fgYbZh!acb!ZaccbZ

I was originally planning this same build but with Cleave (see below link) instead of Frenzy and a big 2-h weapon. Maybe have the OP swapped out for a leap attack. Will definitely try this setup too though if I find myself with better 1h weapons than 2h.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#cgYbZd!acb!baccbZ
  5. Musashi

Musashi IncGamers Member

Well the point was to keep to a one attack theme, but frankly your first build makes a lot more sense overall, even if Hammer of the Ancients breaks the "theme".

What I like about your adjustment there is the juicy treasure hunting. I never even realized until you pointed it out that there are 3 extra loot options there.....criticals chance on Battle Rage and WoA and a more general 22% on Threatening shout. I wonder if they drop the loot as soon as the critical damage is put on the monster or doesn't show up until the thing actually dies. In other words does the computer remember and stack the affects? That would be very important to know. If you hit a boss with HoA and you scored a crit would it have to have killed it to get that bonus or any critical hit will check the 55% chance and apply as appropriate? If that is true, then if you're landing crits frequently and getting that 55% chance each time then, you might have a LOT of opportunities!

Also, swapping out WoB for HoA does solve the one thing I didn't have an answer for in my one attack build. The main ease of play is the one power assigned to the LMB and a second one to RMB. If I went with Frenzy on Left and HoA on Right that makes a lot more sense. It would also cover the massive AOE hole I have and allow me to go back to using a heal passive.

The more I think about it the more I think the FUN of running around with just Frenzy would be lost relatively quickly, but this build would be nearly the same thing but with maxed out treasure hunter mode.

I thought about this, and I think I will make this my first character. It makes a lot more sense to use something that would be fun for me anyway, but that also can then utilize the shared loot chest for future characters. Makes a ton of sense to START with the treasure hunter character actually!

I like that Joshertw! Great idea!
  6. tomhyde

tomhyde IncGamers Member

Not meaning to hijack the thread but something Musashi said caught my eye regarding overpower.

How do we know how the skill works? Is it simply an extra attack that occurs whenever I crit or do I need to swap to it, use it within the given time frame and then swap back?

As far as I'm conserned it's pretty critical. If it's easy to use and just occurs then great. I'm less keen if I have to swap to it and mess around with yet another ability swap.

On topic. I like the idea of simply spamming Frenzy using the stacking bonus damage effect from the rune. I do however think running no real AoE is a bit of a concern. I'd try something like:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#dfSYhP!aXY!aZcZZb

Leap into battle, start frenzying. Use slam to stun enemies and do some AoE damage. Overpower is there for when you crit. Then you have various damage buffs.

If your just going to be spamming frenzy your going to be at max rage a fair amount of the time. 20% more damage from Berserker Rage passive might prove handy.

Just a thought.
  7. Musashi

Musashi IncGamers Member

I posted a reply as you were writing Tom.

I'm assuming Overpower works only by you clicking on something...an icon or the power is highlighted in your hotbar or something ...because the tooltip days it is available for a short time...like a light or something pops up you have to hit to use it. That makes sense since the damage is a radius so you'd want to spring it when you thought best (within the timeframe of whatever they mean by short).

And I did relent as you can see in my previous post. I agreed, no AOE would probably just get dreary halfway through nightmare lol.

So I think the HoA treasure hunter/AOE role would be the best.

I would be going to solo, so since you get your best gear from bosses still, having frenzy as your primary makes the most sense since that single target attack could really help whittle down to next to nothing and then finish off with HoA.

Speaking of that....what is the business about having to connected to battlenet even to play single player? I live out in the boonies and have Satellite internet...which sucks royally I may add. It's not nearly as consistent as cable, far slower and there are serious limits to my download usage. Any idee how being connected to battlenet will affect me playing single player? I'm very worried about this!

I'm not even sure there is a dial up service available to me, but if there is would that work for single player???
  8. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Unfortunately, if you have crappy internet then D3 will be pretty crappy. At least the RMAH will work well? :p
  9. Joshertw

Joshertw IncGamers Member

I think overpower will be greyed out and you will have to use a hotkey # when it becomes active to use it, not one you'd keep on the mouse buttons. I'd rune it to 22% crit to stack with the Battle Rage crit=loot theme.

I'd keep my shouts and OP on the hotkey's 1-4, potions on 5, with frenzy (or cleave) and HoA on the R & L mouse buttons respectively. Actually, I think it will feel more natural to have the fury gen. skill on the LMB and the occasional AoE blast on left.

Sorry for the hijack :)

J

Edit: Pretty sure skills in D3 will work like in torchlight, i.e. to use a skill, you just press the hotkey with the mouse over the target - that's what I'm basing this whole thing on.
  10. Musashi

Musashi IncGamers Member

Yes, that's exactly how I see the hotbutton layout:

Frenzy LMB
    HoA RMB
    Shouts on hotbar ...Overpower at the end.
  11. tomhyde

tomhyde IncGamers Member

I actually really like the build Joshertw posted.

Looks interesting from a MFing stand point. Loads of drops, good survivability and some nice damage from Frenzy and HotA.

I'll certainly have to try. The barbarian really is getting my interest going more and more.
  12. Musashi

Musashi IncGamers Member

The best part of Josh's build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fgYbZh!acb!ZaccbZ

Is that build gets put together so danged fast! I know it's not a huge deal, but this is pretty sweet:

Level 2 Hammer of the Ancients
    Level 2 Threatening Shout
    Level 3 Battle Rage
    Level 11 Frenzy
    Level 14 Warcry
    Level 18 Overpower

The good part about this is you'll know very quickly how you like the build and if it's working like we hope!
  13. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

I know you like the + to crit Overpower gives you but if this is all about Frenzy why would you want to stop using it to use a slower attack like overpower. If you want more crit chance just add more crit gear. What this build lacks is a skill that closes the distance, that being a mobility skill or one that pulls enemies to you.

There are more then a few ways to go about it.

Sprint with Crimson Runstone "Marathon" Get there faster.

Leap Attack with Crimson Runstone "Call of Arreat" a movement skill and a skill that pulls them to you all in one.

Furious Charge with Alabaster Runestone "Merciless Assault" dual wield two mighty weapons for a sure fire way to keep WotB going.

Ancient Spear with Crimson Runestone "Harpoon" Finish targets with this attack as you pull in more to kill and with the passive you can keep pulling them in.

Thats just a few options but really you can do alot.
  14. Musashi

Musashi IncGamers Member

You know that's right. I got sidetracked by the critical thing. Actually what I wanted was a damage dealer that would activate just as a function of using frenzy all the time, but you're right....why, if you've built your entire build around fast attacks..including gear that gems that increase attack speed.

I'll look at your options and redo.
    I like the extra treasure hunter stuff since it took so little adjustment, but really I think Frenzy with all the mods added to it would do so much damage it wouldn't make that much sense to get off of it. Semi-boring at that might be in the end.

15. Musashi

Musashi IncGamers Member

After reviewing it, the Leap Attack with Alabaster seems to make the most sense. It gives me mobility and the stun effect for 3 seconds for everything within 8 yards, would give me a good amount of time to Frenzy most of the things that I stunned. I could then rinse and repeat.

Leap attack does look good for mobility since it can jump around the 3D environment too, up and over walls, levels. This would probably be more valuabe the more we see of the game than a linear movement speed bonus.
  16. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

It just dawned on me that your build doesn't have any AoE, you might find that taking the indigo runestone with Frenzy ("Sidearm") might do more damage in the long run.