Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

1 point in Death Sentry or max it?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Liliumee, May 10, 2012. | Replies: 5 | Views: 5845

1. Liliumee

Liliumee IncGamers Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here and want to make an assassin. I'd like to have a purely melee sin but I think traps are too strong to pass.

I don't want to spend too much points for my traps, so I have a few options:

1. 1 DS only (saved a lot of points, but small Corpse Explosion AoE)
    2. 20 DS (better AoE but no lightning damage)
    3. 20 LS and 20 DS (a lot points to spend, but better lightning damage)

which one do you think is the best? if i choose to go with option 3, is my lightning damage from traps will be good enough?

edit: ah and another irrelevant question. I had a trapsin lv58, but it only have 742 health with 200vit and 2 alkor quest done. shouldn't it be 50 + (57*2) + (180*3) + 40 = 744?
    pls help. this thing bugs really bugs me ~
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Even a Kick/Trap using option #3 will be quite powerful in melee. It's actually pretty close to what I use for my UT kicker; I have more in CBS though.

The lightning is indeed strong, but not anything spectacular--it's not like that set up (or mine) can have a web of traps and wipe anything. It tends to be enough to take out the ~25 to ~50 % of the health left over from DS using its explosions. My kicks are ~1K, and are enough to sustain my life via Life Tap, as well as take out Ubers (with ~50 CB).

Placement also depends on your other MA, or Shadow focus. I did very little in Shadow, as I didn't need much past 1 point, and DFlight took only 1 point. With 30+ skills left, throwing into LS synergies was more a "may as well" than "I need this to be viable". :)

EDIT: Oh, and I don't know what's up with the life. :(
  3. Liliumee

thanks for the reply Sass. I guess nothing can be done with that 2 life missing...

although i know that kicks are good at pvm, i just don't like them. my build is more like aggressin with claws to attack. My plan is something like:

20 CM
    20 Venom
    10 Fade
    1 Death sentry
    1 Blade Shield - just for the looks and maybe some utility(?) ^^;
    1 Shadow Master
    1 Mind Blast
    +12 pereq

I think that's the minimum requirement for my assassin, with a lot of points left to spend, I'm thinking wether maxing Death Sentry will be a great addition to my killing speed. Or would 1 lvl be enough so i can focus on my claw damage earlier with putting points on dragon claw.

I know that it's easier if I choose route 3 and max LS and DS. The mediocre lightning damage seems going to be a lot of help but I already have a trapper so I'd like to try join the battle myself and whack some stuffs. Plus, having only 1 synergy the lightning damage won't work as good as I'll imagine it to be. I also want to have more points focused on my Shadow tree to boost both my killing power and defensive capabilities.

tl;dr > 1 point or 20 DS?
  4. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Well, I'm not personally a big fan of maxing Venom outside of PvP. Vs Monsters, it lacks its punch. If you do max it, CM and DClaw, I'd say 1 Point DS so you can still have your Shadow skills while having your utility.

If you do just go a physical side (CM and DClaw), you have enough for DS and 1-2 synergies.

Those focusing on almost entirely melee should stick to 1 DS since good placement makes the radius less of a hassle.
  5. Liliumee

ah i see... well, maybe for pvm I'm going to max it anyway.. thx for your input
  6. maxicek

maxicek IncGamers Member

Put 20 into DS. But like Sass said, a better question would be 20LS or 20 Venom?