Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.11 classic?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheFaceless, Jan 13, 2007. | Replies: 21 | Views: 966

1. TheFaceless

TheFaceless IncGamers Member

1.11 classic?

So recently I've had an overwhelming urge to play classic D2.
    For some reason, I just loved how classic was. A 300 damage lance was godly, as was an 800 defense armor. Running around with +10 all skills and uber uniques just isn't appealing to me right now. So I've decided to start up an untwinked 1.11 Classic barb. I'm going to go with the "oh-so-original" S/S build. Right now he's in act 2 and lvl 16 and going strong. But I was wondering if some drastic changes to Classic were made in 1.11, and is it doable by myself? For some reason I keep thinking that something happened to Classic in 1.11, but I don't know for sure. xD
  2. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Classic is awesome, v1.11 isn't though.
    I suggest v1.06 for real oldschoolness, or v1.09 if you simply can't live without the /players command (like me.)

Wearing a shield is overrated, especially in classic :badteeth:
  3. Slipknirvana

Slipknirvana IncGamers Member

If you're going to play classic go with .06 it is the best patch EVAR!
  4. TheFaceless

haha
    But what exactly makes 1.11 classic not awesome?

EDIT-
    Can I just delete all my chars I have, then download v1.06 and go backwards to it from 1.11?

EDIT AGAIN- v1.06 = no immunities right?

EDIT AGAIN!!! - Haha, I don't know how many more I'm gonna make. But I just downloaded v1.06 and tried to install it, and I can't. Is there any way for me to "update" myself to 1.06 without reinstalling? I don't have my CD's anymore, a friend has them.

5. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

If you didn't install LoD at all, I think you can revert to v1.06 by using the files from TrenShadow's Version Switcher.

v1.11 is pretty harsh for alot of builds unless you playing with /players1, it's also harder to level and the cow level lost it's function.

v1.06 has uniques without level requirement (which is acquired by gambling, mostly) and quite a few spells have no delay as opposed to later versions. Can't remember about immunities, but I'm quite sure there's no physical immunes. The only real bad thing about v1.06 is the lack of the players command.
  6. TheFaceless

Cool.
    So I just thought I'd let you all know that I took the 1.11 files out of my D2 file and made a folder for them, and downloaded a folder with all the 1.06 files in it and put them in, and it worked perfectly.
    =D
  7. cloak

cloak IncGamers Member

What is the patch in which you can /players 64 ???
  8. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

1.09b is the best known patch for p64, but I think some of the earlier ones can too.

9. BabyLink

BabyLink IncGamers Member

Omg lol i'm learning stuff everyday. Guess it was somehow...hard to kill something on p64... *gets a 1.09 version*

10. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Try v1.06 (I think) or earlier, for gambling your SoJ quota. Try v1.07 for some godly gear, charms, and crafted items. Another thing that's neat about v1.07 is some of the cube recipes to create things work differently. For example, in current versions, the recipe to create a prismatic amulet creates an amulet with the appropriate prefix, while in v1.07 (and presumably earlier versions), it randomly rolls an amulet, and applies resist all to whatever mods it already has. The randomly rolled amulet may be set or unique. I once acquired Tal's amulet with prismatic resists in this fashion (since lost it, though).
  11. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

One terminology clarification: "Classic" doesn't mean "old version"- it means not using the expansion pack characters or items. Classic never has charms and crafted items. There are different reasons for wanting to play an old patch and wanting to play the current patch in Classic mode.

There are a number of people who play old patches either to remind themselves of how things used to be, to use enjoyable builds that are no longer feasible and to get items that are no longer findable in the game, and in some cases are better than current items. You can play 1.09 LoD or 1.09 Classic when you play an old version- just because you are playing and old version doesn't mean you are playing Classic.

There are some who play Classic in the current patch to exploit the "convert Classic characters to expansion" feature, mostly with the aim of getting Hellforge quest rewards more easily. Though they play Classic, it is with the purpose of helping themselves in their main concern, LoD.

Then there are those who enjoy Classic for it's own sake, and prefer the challenge. There is the Classic Forum which is mainly for people playing Classic under the current patch 1.11b.

There are a number of aspects of Classic that people enjoy. There are no exceptional or elite uniques, no elite items whatsover, no runes, no runewords, no upgrades or crafted items, mercs have no equipment and can't travel between acts, the stash is smaller, there are fewer affixes available for items, there are fewer hotkeys, there are no charms, and there are no assassins or druids, to mention a few things. These things make it harder and some people chose to play Classic for the greater challenge. Because the uniques are not powerful and there are no runewords, often the best choice of gear often involves many rare items, which many of us find more interesting. There many be many versions of a useful unique, but their variety is miniscule compared to the variety of useful rares considered in Classic.

With the various recent versions, changes for balance affect both Classic and LoD. It seems that Blizzard is mostly worried about LoD balance so there have been some changes that make Classic harder. But many of us enjoy the challenge. Levelling is more difficult so you generally need to be much more cautious with skill points, and there is not as much +skill gear, so those decisions are tricky.

That being said, there are a few respects (just a few) in which Classic is easier:

1) no dexterity investment is needed to get the listed block on a shield
    2) Static Field is not limited in NM and Hell and can sliver any non-LI monster (with patience)
    3) Whirlwind does not depend upon weapon speed
    4) There are no level requirements on blocking quests (and no Ancients anyway)
    5) The resistance penalties in NM and Hell for characters are not as strong (but there is no Anya quest reward, no charms and less powerful gear, which more than cancels that out)

I enjoy 1.11b Classic both in SP and online. There is a "Why do you prefer Classic to LoD" thread in the Classic forum that has more disscussion about why people may perfer it.

Most Classic players, like me, have the expansion installed, but just choose to create Classic players. If you don't have the expansion installed, you are limited to only 640 x 480 resolution, so most Classic players have the expansion installed and may play LoD as well.

12. tartanasia

tartanasia IncGamers Member

lol im starting my 1.11b classic hc sep again i think. Can u clarify the block/dex rule. Does it mean that if your using sigons shield you will get the 70% no matter what your dex is?
  13. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

Yeppers. My necromancer used Stormguild, the unique large shield from late Normal to the end of Hell mainly because he never found anything with a better chance to block.

It's the answer to the max vita/block question: Neither, play Classic and have both!

14. purplelocust

It's also the reason that Classic characters are very fond of Twitchthroe- that 25% added block can make an otherwise good shield very useful.

15. Kdawg

Kdawg IncGamers Member

What are some decent builds in 1.06?
  16. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

This makes me want to go play 1.06 and 1.07. I know that 1.08 items (shako and valor) used to be very rare on bnet after the 1.08 patch, so does that mean you can get one of this prismatic tal ammys and bring it over into 1.11?

17. The Cow King

The Cow King Banned

Yep you can bring items from previous versions to 1.11b (or whatever as long as you have it and it's not lower version than which you are bringing the items from).

The 1.07 guide is an excellent read, go read it :smiley: - just reading it is fun, so many nicks and nacks. Also that SoJ thing from 1.06 is a temptation for me as well - finding one in 1.11b seems so impossible, and I really have better things to do than NM andy :undecided:

edit: If I'm correct you can "convert" the items to 1.11b just by starting the previous version character with the 1.11 install. Also makes sense to convert the items in mule characters so you won't lose the 1.06 or 1.07 character, as it will be unplayable in those versions when you make a game with it in 1.11.
  18. purplelocust

About converting: converting versions has different effects on items than converting from classic to expansion. At least, that is my understanding, which is kind of hazy. I think the way it works is that if you find a no-level requirement Bonesnap in 1.06 Classic and move the item to a 1.11 Classic character, it is still a no-level requirement Bonesnap. But if the item is on a character which is converted to expansion, either in 1.07 or later, then it becomes a normal level requirement Bonesnap. I'm not actually sure about this and I've long deleted my old characters to test, but my experience on b.net worked that way (mostly with old SoJs with no level requirements) if I remember correctly.
  19. Kdawg

Kdawg IncGamers Member

OK, I have a question regarding 1.06. Transfering items from it to 1.11 would require opening the char in 1.11 patch. Would it be considered acceptable to copy to char file, convert the copy, and then delete the items you are "transferring" from the 1.06 char? I started an .06 barb and don't want to have to restart every time I would like to convert items.
  20. purplelocust

Why not just put the items on a mule and convert that character? You can mule without ATMA (which I don't think works with 1.06) using two computers or launching two versions of Diablo from the same computer.