Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

1.09 Roll Call - Goals, Progress, Finds

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RobbyD, Jul 27, 2010. | Replies: 813 | Views: 51194

1. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

1.09 Roll Call - Goals, Progress, Finds

Hi all - most of you know about my inexplicable obsession with 1.09, but a fellow Old-Skooler suggested we do a Roll Call so that anybody playing 1.09 has a common place to communicate.

I'll start off by reiterating what most of you already know:

I'm working on completing a 1.09 Septumvariate (completed 5 characters, currently working on a Necro) and looking for the Vex drop from Countess for the screenie to include in my 1.09 guide (I've gotten up to Gul). In the process, I've been slowing filling out a quasi Grail (1.09 has some TC90 items that are simply too rare for a complete Grail to be a reasonable goal). I also have a group of 7 rushees ready for HF collections when I finally pull the trigger on moving on.

I'm also daydreaming of a 1.09 runeword grail (once the Vex drops from Countess, I'll be 1 Jah away from a complete grail - one crazy-rare Jah drop is more feasible than 6 crazy-rare TC90 drops).

Once I meet these goals, I think I'll finally be ready to move on to 1.10s... but that's no guarantee (see previous announcements of moving on).

I've been posting screenies of my finds in the IFT, but I'm thinking maybe this thread might be an alternative location, since the relative value/excitement of items is different for 1.09 than later patches.

I would also like this thread to be a resource for discussing strategies, builds, imbalances from folks currently playing the patch, as well as an invitation from anybody who's been toying with the idea to give it a try an discuss it here.

So, if you are playing 1.09, or are seriously thinking about it, sound off here. Let us know:

(a) Your goal (rushing for 1.10s, build flexibility, nostalgia, exploiting bugs/imbalances, level 90+ "redneck Baal" charms, etc.)

(b) Your character(s) - what build(s) you're trying out.

(c) Your progress/activities

(d) Any notable finds

(e) If you MP, where/with whom do you play?

Also, any general observations you have from playing.

For me:

(a) Addressed above

(b) Finished a Frenzy Barb (currently MFing), MA/GA/FA Buriza Bowazon (currently MFing), Mauling Werebear Druid (currently retired), MeteOrb (currently leveling via cows and some MF), Fanatic Zealot Paladin (currently retired).

Working on a Minion Based Artillary Necro (CE/Bone Spear/IG) through normal, and plan on a Pheonix Strike MA Assassin (hoping to find a Natalya's Mark to use that set).

(c) The necro is making good progress - good twinking makes the early game pretty easy. At level 28, an "Honor" Yari for the Merc + Amp Damage is pwning the game. Duriel was not a problem as he targeted the IG - the Thorns + life leech (from the sword I made it from) seems to have that BG/IM effect.

(d) I'm probably most happy with the Tal's Armor, as that made the Zon an MFer. My other notables are:

Uniques:
    3x SoJ
    1x Mara's
    3x Highlord's Wrath
    2x Doombringer
    1x Schaefer's Hammer (inspired a character that culminated into a decision to do a Sept)
    2x Gladiator's Bane
    1x HoZ
    2x Homunculus (both planned for use by the Necro)
    1x Arreat's Face
    2x Jalal's Mane
    3x Stormshield
    3x Harlequin Crest
    >5x Occys, Titan's and Bartucs (1x eth Titan's Revenge)
    TC3s: Bane Ash, Knell Striker, Rixot's Keen, Hotspur, Pluckeye, Pelta Lunata, Greyform, Biggon's Bonnet, Lenymo, Blinkbat's Form, Felloak, The Gnasher

Sets:
    Tal's Armor (for Tal's MF 3-piece)
    Full Naj's Set (maybe try this set out?)
    Full Disciple (the ammy is the tricky piece)
    Sander's Paragon (found in Frozen River)
    Cow King's Horns

Charms:
    Perfect Shimmering (15) GC of Inertia
    Shimmering (13) GC of Vita
    Serpent's GC of Balance, & of Vita
    4x Sparking, Harpoonist (1 of Sust) GCs
    3x Captains GCs
    Toxic SC of Anthrax (290)

My inexplicable gaps (not yet found) items are:

Hand of Broc
    Torch of Iro
    Gore Riders

(e) I started a group, posted in the MP forum, but I've done very, very little MP, especiall recently.

Observations - Well lots (see my guide), but I'll focus on one that is important for anyone playing 1.09:

MSLE (Multi-Strike Lightning Enchanted) defines the game. It will kill the strongest character FAST if you don't plan for it. For that reason, TGod's Vigor is the most important item in the game, IMHO. Blackhorns' Face is handy too, especially for a Merc.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. Steven Q Urkel

Steven Q Urkel IncGamers Member

Re: 1.09 Roll Call - Goals, Progress, Finds

pfc Steven Q Urkel, representing v1.09d, reporting for duty Sir!!!

My Goals
    • Build a Firewall/Frozen Orb sorceress for 1x7 rushing. This goal has been accomplished.
    • Find a cursed Knell Striker to complete my v1.09 TC3 grail. This goal has not yet been accomplished, and I'm not entirely sure how much more effort I want to put into it since 1) Coldcrow pretty much hates me and 2) bugged Durance Runs, although they can be fun at times, are remarkably tedious.
    • Find or P-Gem roll an entire inventory :crazyeyes: of 5% small charms of inertia. They then will be forwarded to 1.13, equipped on a PvM Runadin w/ maxed Vigor, Harmony bow, M'avina's Belt, 40% Run/Walk rare boots, and Valk Wing. The character will then, after clearing the way of all monsters/walls/catapults/etc, Sprint from the gates of Harrogath to the Frigid Highlands waypoint, all the while the William Tell Overture plays on WinAmp. The entire spectacle will be recorded via FRAPS, and put on YouTube for all the world to witness. This is more than likely just a pie in the sky pipe dream rather than an actual goal, but it still makes me LoL just thinking about it.
    • cube a high end Cruel Colossus Blade/Sword of Quickness or Eviseration with the 3 chipped gem recipe, and then make a Barbar to use it. This goal has not yet been accomplished. So far my best swords are a 298% Cruel Colossus Sword with no suffix, and a Fool's Colossus Sword of Quickness.
    • Complete 1x7 rushes with the sorc so that Hell Forge Runes can be collected in 1.10s and 1.12/1.13. This goal has been accomplished many times over, and hopefully won't have to be accomplished ever again.

Progress

Well, its actually been quite a while since I've played any 1.09, so I haven't made much progress towards finishing the goals. I did go on a P-Gem rolling spree recently, and I think I netted 4 or 5 inertia charms, so I'm still only 30 or so short of a full inventory. I still have a dedicated 1.09 install though, so if I ever get bored of 1.13 or just need a break from it I can resume at any time.

Notable Finds
    • a Shimmering Grand Charm of Balance, although it isn't perfect
    • I'm pretty sure I've found at least 1x Cold Skiller or 1x Fire Skiller but I don't remember exactly which
    • I've found a few Raven Claws. One of them even had a perfect 70%ED, which I didn't even realize until after I had traded it away. :facepalm:
    • I can't remember the exact count, but I think I have well over 10 Azurewrath crystal swords. :smug:
    • A 210%ED/6 Life leech tc78 Dombringer. Thats the only notable unique off the top of my head, and I'm too lazy to run a full Flavie to see what other uniques/sets I have.
    • Thanks mostly in part to bugged Durance runs and with some Coldcrow mixed in I have well over 150 TC3's.

Observations
    • Whenever I rush, Nightmare Lord de Seis is, and always will be, a Turbo n00b. :whistling:
    • I was kind of hoping my sorc, and in particular her moron, wouldn't be such a wuss in the Moo Moo Farm.
    • After all these years of D2ing I still haven't seen a Lightning Hose Act 1 rogue in action. :rolleyes:
    • players X static bug ftw
    • v1.09 is fun, but I wouldn't want to give up 1.13 to play it exclusively.
  3. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I find my MeteOrb the best cow-killer of the group. Her Merc has Hone (AmnAmnShael), "Smoke" eth Dusk Shroud, and Vamp's Gaze. He generally is OK as long as the Meteors drop - a quick teleport when he gets overwhelmed helps a lot.

Look me up on Hamachi - I'll bring my Druid.

DUDE! You know about the static bug???? GEIB INFO!!!111oneoneone

I've noticed it working against Snapchip and Thresh Socket - is it predictable?

4. Steven Q Urkel

I was not aware of a static bug when fighting Snap and Thresh. The static bug I was referring to is the one that happens when you fight Duriel and Mephisto in Hell difficulty. Instead of the usual 50% cap on static field, there is no cap when fighting these two Act Bosses. You can static away ~97-98% of Duriel's health just with static alone. For Mephisto, the amount you can static is just a tiny bit less than the amount that works on Duriel, but you can still static him down way further than the 50% cap.

As far as triggering the static bug, the only thing I know of that triggers it is the players setting. If you are in a players 1 game, the bug will not work. If its a players 2 game, I think it will work, but it has been a while since I've tested it so I don't remember for sure. And for any game players 3 or higher, I'm fairly certain it will work on all players settings.

If you say you have seen the static bug on Thresh Socket and Snapchip before, maybe it will work outside of Mephisto and Duriel as long as you are in a players 2/players 3 game or higher. If you do your next MF run on players 2 or players 3 and the bug triggers, it will probably trigger on all subsequent runs of the same players setting.
  5. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I tested it again - it does definitely work against Thresh and Snapchip - all the way to a sliver. I was not aware of Mephy though - I'll have to give that a try.
  6. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I hope you will also consider Comedians Gallop or Yakety Sax.

To stay on topic, I remember back in 1.09 I used to play realms. Cubed a Cruel Colossus Sword of Evisceration. Probably the most valuable item I've ever had relative to the game economy. I miss the chippie recipe for swords.

Also has anyone tried LK superchests in previous versions? They come with free armor and weapon racks, so I wasn't sure if running here would pay off. Probably a much lower Alvl in previous patches though.

7. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

My Pally actually has an awesom LK map - 2 campfires right next to each other right next to the WP. I've run it some with him, but nothing like the dedication needed to really test it. I do like it for the charms and the chance to pop all yellow. But... as far as what runes it's capable of producing... I will check the level of items out of the chests... for some reason, I'm thinking chests are capped at level 75.

8. Klonki

Klonki IncGamers Member

Klonki or my real name: John, turns out to make a report. 1.09b all the way.

Some of my goals: I will focus on my amazon to begin with. So many years have past since i was in love with Diablo 2 on the realms.. She will be a MA-amazon with some cold as a secondary option along with the valk.

• Some sort of a Sorc will be my second candidate to progress with.

• One or more grail-goals are always nice to finish. Will take plenty of time, but hey, that's the spirit of the game, right? :)

• Do some amazing "godly" swords with the chippy-reciepe.

• Defeat Baal in hell, just to get the feeling.

Your progress: I am currently with my Zimona in Stony Field, time to enter the underground tunnel. Level 9 and working her way up.

Any notable finds: I had the luck to find a chest outside a house just in the beginning of the camp. So many times i have opened that chest for some treasures. Almost the entire chest with gems. One Envy-jewel so far.

MP: Some time i will try it out, i need to have more time with the game itself first. It's like a relationship, you need to treat it well.
  9. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Nice to have you here, Klonki. Congrats on the selection of a Zon - the reason she was nerfed so hard in 1.10 is because how stong she is in 1.09. Might I suggest a 1-point Fire Arrow for your bugged low-mana cost PI needs? I also suggest considering an investment in Charged Strike - I found myself stuggling with PI/FI/CE bosses when doing some serious MFing with my Zon, and if I were to make her all over, I'd make the investment in a lightning skill for just that instance.

Also keep in mind that, for the absolute most elite items, Baal is not the source (though they CAN drop drop from the Wave bosses), but the A5SUs are your targets (Pindle, Frozenstein, Thresh Socket, Snapchip Shatter).

As for my part, my goal have sharpened to one goal - getting the Vex rune drop from Hell Countess. To this end, I've created a Sorc meant to be a Nova Sorc specifically for that purpose, but I've yet to do any questing with her. In the meantime, I'm crafting caster ammys and honing my Countess running skills with the MeteOrb sorc.

Since it's been a while, I have a couple items to add to my grail list:

2x Sazabi Swords
    Bul-Kathos' Sacred Charge
    Tancred's Hobnails
    Griswold's Valor (TC90) :shocked:
    Arkaine's Valor
    Full Cow Set

2 more HoZ
    3 more SoJ
    1 more BKWB

My inexplicable gaps remain gaps.
  10. NakedAssassin

NakedAssassin IncGamers Member

Hi. I dusted off the old d2 after 3? years. After much reading, I settled on 1.09. My disks are 1.07.

(a) nostalgia. I used to play alot. I had a 99MF Sorc that fed my obsession, the 99 Zon. Zon was pretty cookie cutter, String/shaftstop/vampgaze/buriza then WF/etc back then. That was a really long time ago. More recently, I had a hammerdin all decked out and a necro with amp/explode corpse I believe.

Someone at work was talking about playing old games and dusting off D2, that made me want to.

(b) BowZon. It is what I played in 1.09, but not what I played when I was current patch on Bnet.

(c) She is 28 with whatever the cap is for right now in GA(11?)

(d) Absolutely not. Drops are so bad the game is almost unplayable.

(e) I do not.

General observations:

I wanted the challenge. I could have edited everything in or patched to current and played bnet if my only goal was to blow everything up. I knew that wouldn't have been rewarding. So, I chose SP.

Untwinked, the game is/was broken. Now I know why I immediately went to Bnet back in the day. Without player help, the game is good for about 2 days. Diablo is unkillable. 1hits my merc and then I don't do enough damage to matter. Swap in FR gear and then I really don't do enough damage. I could kite him for 30 minutes I suppose, but 15 resses of my Merc is not enough. Thats all the stash will allow me to have in gold.

Meph was no picnic either, had to get him hung up on a corner and then put 700 arrows in him. Not exaggerating, 2 full stacks. I have no interest in running him 100 times hoping for Arctic Set pieces lol. I have killed every single mob in the game thru Act 4, and my best drop is Isenhart's chest. It is the only set item I have seen. Hellforge was all topazes. I'm using a 3 soc short bow with pEmerald, Nef, and an empty spot waiting for enough gem shrines to up my skull to perfect. At this point, I would give my left nut for a low manald. Never thought I'd ever say that, but mana leech is a big problem. I have none. I have seen a few vendor bows 'of the bat', but the stats were terrible.

I really like the game. I don't have high expectations for something this old. I just wish I could play a bit longer before being stuck. I know someone will say to roll an MF Sorc to get stuff first, NM Meph, etc etc, but with everything I have so far she would be 28 also and at about 100mf probably all from ptopaz and the boots/gloves I saw that were 11. Then, 3 months from now I could probably play my zon.

There must be something I am missing, I can't wait to hear what it is and then feel stupid.

Suggestions? All are welcome.
  11. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

After the successful recovery of some of my 1.09 stashes, the Blender is back on my to do list. My best 1.09 moment was a Wirtadin Patriarch. Once upon a time I was about three or four uniques away from a successful Grail. Oh well!
  12. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Member

Oooh what are these please??

My 1.09 Flavie Report

13. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Wow, I had my struggles on my first untwinked character, but nothing like what you are describing. Global drop rates in 1.09 for good items are lower, yes, but far from broken. The trouble with a bowazon is that 1.09 has crap for bow runewords, so you need a decent bow. Normal unique bows also all bite, but most of the exceptional ones are good.

So... advice for an untwinked MFer, huh? No, not a Sorc, at least not from me. My first character, a Frenzy Barb, turned out to be a Mephy running machine that did the vast majority of outfitting my other characters. A Barb is a good choice for several reason:

1. Horking
    2. Natural resists can provide the resists typically coming from armor, so you can wear a 4pTopaz armor.
    3. Bosses leech in 1.09, so a Barb can just tank until they are dead.
    4. BO makes the merc a lot more durable
    5. You can Frenzy up with big weapons, then switch to dual Ali Babas for an incredible bump in MF
    6. Flux has a great MF Barb write-up (though I like Frenzy over WW due to the fact that you can switch to a frenzied kill strike).
    7. The Masteries bug make a Barb overpowered - a single point in a mastery gives the barb 100% critical strike in 1.09.

Now, for your Zon - I'd say to get to NM Countess and start running her - much easier to kill than the bosses and she drops better than any other SU in NM - her drops are bugged to include up to TC66 - my barb got his pair of LoH from NM Countess. You could probably farm a nice bow from her, and you can definitely farm the runes for Honor for your merc's weapon (and probably a nice base from the racks in her tower). I also recommend a hybrid - my BuriZon has trouble with PI/FI/CE bosses - I would suggest an investment in Charged Strike or Lightning Fury for that reason. So if it's not too late for your Zon, try an investment into a Jav lightning skill.

You're also way too deep for a level 28 character - are you playing on P8? My Zon did not even try to take on Duriel until level 24 so she could have the Decoy. I'd suggest going back to an area you can handle, and leveling your Zon. I'd also point out that the poison bug can be exploited in bows - find one with as many sockets as drop so far, and pack it with nothing but pEmeralds - that should work awesome with Multi-Shot (in 1.09, all the arrows carry the attributes from your bow and gear).

@Steven Q Urkel - yes, please elaborate on bugged Durance runs.

@TheNix - Keep in mind that you have to keep her overleveled to keep the Blender magic alive - that means you can't rely on it for questing through Hell as the XP balance makes that unfeasible - sure is fun through NM though.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  14. NakedAssassin

NakedAssassin IncGamers Member

I see your point, leveling up was the suggestion today in the office as well. While I don't agree that it should be necessary, it will probably work. I was going off of this:

http://newd2event.net/index.php?id=info/area_levels

which I found to be true as far as experience goes. Given the rate that I can kill things, I don't agree that I am too deep for a level 28 character. Granted, on Act bosses I have been 'creative', on the rest of the yard trash we sail along. My fear is that I pack on a few levels (4 more?) to kill Diablo, and then I don't get that much exp from Act 5 because of it. We'll see. I have been playing p3 up until Diablo, where I have been trying p1.

Also, I think that at 30 I will have enough unspent skill points to get to Valk. That should help. The only points I have spent are to max GA and 3 total in Multi.

My bow is already pEmerald/Nef. I was thinking perf skull for the last spot, but maybe another emerald is next. I hopefully won't have this bow long anyway. What makes it fun about playing untwinked is that all of the gear has value again. I would kill for an Arctic Bow right now or even Kuko, things I wouldn't pick up before.

My plan is to farm NM countess until I can move on, it is getting there that has proven interesting. I'd also like to run norm cows for the hell of it. I think I will kill Andy once before my NM countess runs, just so I can have the NM Act 2 merc while I run.

I'll keep you updated, thanks for the suggestions! Please confirm that the NM Countess T66 bug is 1.09d and not just 1.09b or something. I am playing in 1.09d I believe.

Good luck with your Vex.
  15. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

All the fun bugs are the same for 1.09b and 1.09d - the only difference are the broken CtC for 1.09d and the P64 max on 1.09b.

Here's the deal - NM Countess is level 44 but can drop from up to TC66. As such she can drop LoH since it has a very low Qlvl on a high TC (elite) base. However, Uniques carry Qlvls consistent with the items level, so, for Bows, she can only drop Skystrike (which is nice), Riphook, Kuko, and Endlesshail. But any of those will drastically improve her viability. A Langer Briser (which she can drop) isn't bad in it's own right - KB, LD, and MF to boot! She can also drop Rockstopper for your merc. But most importantly, she can drop the runes and base items for you to craft some knockback gloves.

The racks in her tower are a great source for RW bases (and the occasional unique) - a 5os exceptional spear or polearm for your merc will make an incredible Honor stick. Countess can obviously provide the runes for Honor.

I wouldn't worry about changing the plan for the last socket for your current bow - the 1.09 poison bug doesn't start shining until you get 3 or more sources. It stacks the poison/second but ADDS the duration, so just keep your eye out for something with 4 or more sockets and plan on emeralds in that.

16. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

After seriously thinking about it, I decided to start playing 1.09 (1.09b to be exact, maybe switching for 1.09d if I found an occulus or MP). Nice to see there are people playing this patch, too!

(a) Your goal

Mainly nostalgia. I liked Diablo 2 more without the 1.10+ runewords. I really like the LoD uniques and their power - I still rely on them in 1.10+ patches because they rock and they are so cool. I just like the 1.09 patch: the XP, boss running, uniques. Loving the SP twist on it, too.

(b) Your character(s) - what build(s) you're trying out.

Again I'm going with nostalgia. I'm making a firewall/orb/static sorceress, which was my first LoD character and also my first matriarch, ever. This time I'm doing it right from the start, though. I'm little bummed that firewall got nerfed in 1.09, but overall I like the patch much more over 1.08.

(c) Your progress/activities

I'm going strong in normal Act 1 :) I'm in monastery now and currently level 16. I'm loving the players 8 setting because the game is tough but still possible to beat because of the XP and loot.

I shopped two 3os Long Bows for me and my A1 merc and put chips in them. We own even in players 8 setting. BUT it got me to thinking, what if I run some gem shrines and make a twinking bow with flawed/normal gems? It would own even more. Right after that I noticed three shrines right next to black marsh WP. I "ran it" a couple of times and got one gem shrine. I don't know the odds though. What are the odds of a shrine being a gem shrine? Has anyone tried gem shrine running seriously (for perfect gems, for example)?

(d) Any notable finds

I gambled some sweet tri-res boots with fhr. Pretty nice stuff from Gheed when you are going to rescue Cain ;)

(e) If you MP, where/with whom do you play?

Not yet, but I'd like to try it some time. I play at odd hours, though, so probably won't try it for some time.

Observations:

Static Field is a nice spell for untwinked sorceress, because the mana cost doesn't rise. I'm going for (near) max static with the finished build, but 5-6 points is really nice for bosspacks and act bosses. It really helps your progress and you can max it out later, if you want.
  17. Steven Q Urkel

There was bug in 1.09, although I believe it has since been fixed. It involved, I believe the correct term would be super unique, class enemies. Basically, if you spawned a super unique, but then you retreated for a bit, and then you went back to kill the monster you just spawned, their item drop will mimic that of Coldcrow from the caves in Act I.

Coldcrow always drops 4 potions and 2 items, and b/c of the game's monsterstats.txt or whatever file she will always drop from Treasure Class 3 (tc3). However, her mlvl is so low that she can only drop ilvl 7 items, meaning there are only so many sets and uniques that she can drop. But the 3 nub nub's in the Durance of Hate - Bremmington Spankfist, Wyand Voidthenoid, and Maffer Itstimetoslaythedragonhand - they will drop ilvl 28 itams. Since ALL TC3 set and uniques will have a qlvl less than or equal to 27 (Sanders Paragon), this means that the 3 super uniques in the Durance level 3 have the ability to drop ANY tc3 set or unique in the game.

Of course, the 'rare' tc3's, i.e. Sanders Paragon, Knell Striker, Torch of Iro, etc. are still going to be rare, but if you consistently activate the bug the 'common' tc3's are going to start dropping on a very regular basis.

I believe that the bug will only work in Normal difficulty, but I've been able to activate it on a very regular basis. I recorded a video of a Durance run long time ago, but IIRC it was in half screen so the quality isn't so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX8Mp6UOGA8

Apparently YouTube doesn't play nice with this video, so you may have to let it finish loading (and then hit replay) in order to watch it. IIRC, I got 2x Death's Guard on that one run alone. :badteeth:

18. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

@Steven Q Urkel: Wow - I knew about the drop reset bug, but I never thought to use that to farm TC3s from the Council. That, my friend, is some good thinking. However, if I recall right, the drop that the SU reverts to is actually Bishibosh (at the same difficulty you are playing, so in Hell, they get Hell Bish's drop), not Coldcrow. But getting a high mlvl to drop a TC3 is an absolutely brilliant way to get those Hobnails and that Paragon. I might give that a try with my Nova Sorc. Thanks for sharing that idea!

@mouseman: Sounds like your motivations are similar to mine. Keep in mind that, on higher player settings, Static is bugged in 1.09 so that there is no cap for SOME SUs/Bosses in late Hell, so you can do some nice MFing with her. Mephy can always be static'd to a sliver on P8, and in my experience, Snapchip Shatter and Thresh Socket often can be static'd to a sliver.

Congrats on the Rogue Bow - keep in mind that Jewels of Envy are the best at the start of the game. Emeralds end up being better, but you have to consider the scaling level requirements as you upgrade your gems. To your question, I am running Hell Countess with my Pally, and there is a shrine on the way to the Tower. About 5-10% of the time, it's a Gem Shrine (I get quite a few PGems that way), so your idea is, I think, feasible.

@NakedAssassin: I finally got a chance to check out your link, and it looks like you are relying on a 1.10+ area level guide. 1.09 area levels, are not completely consistent with that, and 1.09 definitely does NOT have the special A85s. For instance, in 1.09, the Hell Countess' Tower is level 70 to 74 (the Countess drops level 77), and all of Act 5 is level 90 (but chests and racks are capped at level 75).

An obervation - I've noticed that Act 1 seems to have a higher rune drop rate than other Acts (well, the Act 3 towns may drop more). My highest rune from a regular unique is a Pul from an A1 Devilkin, and I just got a Ko last night from another A1 monster pack. Just curious if other people notice getting more runes from A1 than other acts (looking at NM and Hell here - not Normal).
  19. joeyjonson

joeyjonson IncGamers Member

is there a place where u can find stats on 1.09 uniques?
  20. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Actually, the wiki site associated with incgamers (diablowiki.net) does a pretty good job of separating the 1.09 items from the 1.10+ items, since it was originally done for 1.09. The thing is, for the majority of items, the stats are the same for 1.09 items as their 1.10+ counterparts. There are a much more limited number of elite uniques in 1.09 compared to 1.10, and a few exceptional uniques have different somewhat different stats.

Here's the elite uniques available in 1.09:

Wizardspike
    Hellslayer
    Baranar's Star
    Lightsabre
    Doombringer
    Eaglehorn
    Windforce
    Messerschmidt's Reaver
    The Cranium Basher
    Schaefer's Hammer
    The Grandfather
    Stormspire
    Blackoak Shield
    Stormshield
    The Gladiator's Bane
    Arkaine's Valor (in 1.09, it's got a list of 1 or 2 skills specific to character classes)
    Harlequin Crest
    Veil of Steel
    Nosferatu's Coil

All Set Items are the same, but Blizz added stats to the class-specific sets in 1.10, including sockets (Aldur's Rhythm, IK Helm, IK Maul, Natalya's Armor, etc.) and item-specific partial set bonuses.

Jewelry available in 1.09:

Amulets
    Nokozan Relic
    The Eye of Etlich
    The Mahim-Oak Curio
    Saracen's Chance
    The Cat's Eye
    Crescent Moon
    Atma's Scarab
    The Rising Sun
    Highlord's Wrath
    Mara's Kaleidoscope

Rings
    Nagelring
    Manald Heal
    The Stone of Jordan
    Dwarf Star
    Raven Frost
    Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band

The changes in Normal/Exceptional Uniques I can think of are:

Witchwild String - no sockets and level 1 Magic Arrows
    Wizendraw - no reduction in target cold resistance

No class-specifc elite uniques are available in 1.09 - only the exceptional items (Arreat's, Homunculus, etc.), but the stats are the same as 1.10+.

Hope this helps.