Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

1.09 Chain Lighting Sorc - thoughts and questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RobbyD, Feb 9, 2013. | Replies: 15 | Views: 922

1. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Hey all. I was thinking about my complete lack of luck in getting the WF from 1.09 Pindeh, and I noted that my 1.09 Vex dropped from Countess only after I made a dedicated character "GIEB_VEX" for that item. Sooo, I started thinking about a good character to devote to getting that WF to drop, "GiebTehWindeh", and my experience with Sorcs so far in 1.09.

Thing is, they make good runners, but neither of my Sorcs ever rivaled my Barb or Zon in MF because so much of their gear was for FCR, skills, mana, etc. So I started thinking about a build that I can load up on MF gear, and 2 builds came to mind - Blizzard and Chain Lighting.

My rule of thumb on checking how good a skill is in 1.09 is to see how heavily it got synergies in 1.10. Blizz gets 5% per synergy point (3 synergies) and Chain Lighting gets 4% per synergy point (3 synergies). Those are pretty equivalent to Meteor, and I know Meteor is plenty effective in 1.09, so I think either one would be effective.

Now, the point of this would be a dedicated Pindle runner for the WF, and Pindle is never LI in 1.09 - he is sometimes (not often) PI. Plus I've never played with Chain Lighting, so I think CL gets the nod. Now, in order to get appreciably over 200% MF, I'm thinking this kind of setup:

Shako (pTopaz) - 74%
    Tal's Armor (pTopaz) - 112%, Belt - 15%, Ammy (65% set)
    Occy (Ist) - 80%
    Rhyme Hyperion - 25%
    SoJ
    Magefist

This rare ring:
    Code:
    Grim Band
    Ring
    Required Level: 23
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 75
    Fingerprint: 0xca92d9e7
    +13 to Energy
    Fire Resist +10%
    Lightning Resist +17%
    Cold Resist +19%
    15% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    10% Faster Cast Rate
    and these boots:
    Code:
    Shadow Brogues
    Heavy Boots
    Defense: 5
    Durability: 7 of 14
    Required Strength: 18
    Required Level: 38
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 93
    Fingerprint: 0xc382accc
    +7 to Dexterity
    Fire Resist +36%
    Cold Resist +39%
    Poison Resist +6%
    21% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    20% Faster Run/Walk
    That gets me to over 400%MF with fairly decent resists - but 60%FCR, which means CL at 14 frames, but other skills (FO/FW) at 10 frames.

So, what do you think - would this be the fastest Pindle runner in 1.09? Or is there a more effective Pindle running w/hi MF build out there?

I'm thinking:

20 CL/LM
    1 Static/Teleport
    20 FO
    1 CM
    20 Firewall
    1 Warmth
    10+ FM (all last points)

4x Sparking GCs, 2x Chilling (of Str), 1 Serpent's GC of Sust - rest Res/Good Luck/Inertia for charms

Any ideas to optimize? 60 FCR a good number for a CL/FO/FW sorc?
  2. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Lightning & Chain Lightning relied on attack speed rather than cast rate prior to v1.10 making them even less viable.
    You gear up a Pindle sorc like you would in 1.10+, FCR isn't needed beyond what The Oculus offers, nor are resistances. Frozen Orb is plenty good for p1 Pindle. 34x Small Charm of Good Luck is what the inventory should look like.

I'd still recommen giving Thresh Socket a go with your barbarian though.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

You telling me CL cast speed is based in IAS in 1.09?

I tried some Thresh with the Barb - does him just fine, but not as fast as Pindle.

I've worked out about 450% MF with maxed FR/CR/LR and positive PR. I think I might do this if I don't get a WF in the Pindlethon.
  4. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Looking up breakpoints this long ago was fun because people didn't really look at that kind of stuff in 1.09. I did find something called the "fantisorc guide" on the AB which actually has some decent information. With a Cho-Ku-Nu and 70% ias you can cast at 11 frames. Going to have to remember to use the AB archives when I get back into 1.07/09.

Beware of being frozen, though.

PS: 1.10 came out in October 2003. Restrict your google searches before this date to find 1.09 info. (not specifically for Robby, i bet he has done this before, but just saying) Almost the 10 year anniversary.
  5. Korlic

Korlic IncGamers Member

If it was me I would go with fully synced 20 FO/20 CM/20Thunderstorm/20LM , use Mav belt for FRW and as fast boots as you can. FRW is very important vs. Pindle :)
  6. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info on 1.09 CL - I found that guide and determined that the IAS issue precludes an optimized sorc build.

@Korlic - what makes TS so awesome against Pindle? I've never tried that skill.

I've been keeping track of Pindle's immunities, and he's often FI and PI, rarely CI, and never LI. Of course he's naturally Poison Immune.
  7. Korlic

Korlic IncGamers Member

@Korlic - what makes TS so awesome against Pindle? I've never tried that skill.

If I recall correctly TS was at least viable pre 1.10, and since you dont really have much else to spend skillpoints on, I think it is worth it :)
    It is one of those skills like Nova that was better before since it did not get any synergies.
  8. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

TS is still only a single target attack, so it may be a few seconds before it actually decides to hit pindle rathter than one of his minion people. Sorry I can't give you much advice for this RobbyD, I only made one 1.09 sorc way back in the day and it was probably one of the most common made in that time. FO/FW/Nova, the standard tri-elementalist build. All three skills received little to no buff through synergies in 1.10, and were more than viable with only the skill plus mastery. The only problem is nova forces you to get right up in his face, which is probably not something you want to do, and the other 2 skills are timered.
  9. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Doesn't frozen orb stop doing damage once the orb passes through a monster?

Getting a good enough nova to stunlock the minions with good mf would be difficult, as difficult as getting enough ias and mf to do CL or L. And then charged bolt required ias too (I think) and also requires you to get close. Lightning is looking to be hard to nuke from a distance (unless you make an assassin!).

I wouldn't spend 40 points into lightning just for TS for doing fast pindle runs, the time it takes you to cast it for the one blast of damage you get wouldn't be worth it. I would rather do firewall and fireball then spend on TS. You have already done 1.09 fireball, right?
  10. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I've done a MeteOrb Sorc (I did pump Fireball since I built her for transition to 1.10a, but found Meteor to be much more effective than Fireball) and a Nova/FA/Meteor sorc that I do currently run Pindle with. She can run effectively and stun monsters with her Nova on P3, but getting to the 105 FCR has precluded the best MF gear - I've managed to push her a little over 200MF, but only a little. She is my fastest Pindle runner though. On P1 she tears him up.

I don't think FW would be good for Pindle because he's quite often FI, and always FE. I could switch the Wizzy/Lidless setup for an Occy (worth another Ist?)/Rhyme setup for the extra 75MF in exchange for dropping a FCR breakpoint and see how effective that is.
  11. Korlic

Korlic IncGamers Member

In terms of merc gear I found the following VERY usefull in 1.09. Barb merc with Doombringer/Shaftstop/Shako. That makes for a very strong tank and since you provide cold it should be quite effective.
  12. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

That's a good merc setup until he runs into an LE boss. I think a Blackhorn's Face is required merc gear in 1.09.
  13. Korlic

Korlic IncGamers Member

Really Its been a long time, but I thought the merc resitstances where good, like now where with a barb it almost har 75 res all on its own?
  14. VThief

VThief IncGamers Member

Wouldn't vamp gaze be better than shako?
  15. Korlic

Korlic IncGamers Member

The idea is to get a lot of + life as Doombringer has + 20% max life. With shaft and Shako you get lots of life and damage 40% damage reduction. I remember it was a pretty tough tank :)
  16. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

TBH it might be best for a Barb merc - I haven't used a barb merc since my orginal 2003 failed go at the game. I just know what instakill MSLE can be if you don't have the secret weapon of absorb.