Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

1.04 HC Witch Doctor Thread

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Solwolf, Aug 25, 2012. | Replies: 16 | Views: 7955

1. Solwolf

Solwolf Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Since so much has changed with the class in 1.04, I thought I'd make a new thread for build ideas, feedback, and general Witch Doctor theorycrafting, gameplay, and awesomeness.

As it stands now, I fear the WD is in for a nerf; pets do relatively good damage but tank amazingly well, making the WD a pretty safe HC class, especially with Spirit Walk and Spirit Vessel.

Here's the build I'm using now, and with it cruising through a1 inferno:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRUZYT!aeU!bZcZaa

Basically I let my pets tank, drop a Rain of Toads to proc Vision Quest, then Grasp of the Dead under the pack, drop 3x Acid Clouds, and spam Toads until Grasp/Acid Cloud needs to be refreshed. Very safe build, excellent AoE damage and moderate single target - but all of my abilities have a long range and can clear a champ pack on the edge of the screen (and hence out of Vortex range).

Current gear is: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Solwolf-1550/hero/6505630

I can Rain of Toads tank if absolutely necessary, but I prefer to be a Toad/Cloud artillery platform and let my dogs/garg do the tanking. Enchantress as the merc, now that I don't need the Templar to tank anymore.

What skills/playstyle are you other WDs using now?

Finally, kudos to Blizz - the WD changes make me want to play again.
  2. stevethatsmyname

stevethatsmyname IncGamers Member

I dropped VQ... can no longer justify using up a passive slot just for 30% regen. Blood ritual gives a similar amount of mana boost (by reducing mana cost) but also gives a sweet HP regen.

Here's my Build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WfYXUT!ace!bcbYcc

And my gear:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Phreak-1903/hero/4687693

I still feel that zombie bears delivers some of the best dps (although less than 1.03), although I haven't given acid rain much of a chance. May be worth trying out.

It seems like every basic HC build needs to have both dogs and gargantuan. The dogs can still get taken out in late act 2 through act 3 so it is nice having gargantuan (also for the DPS!)
  3. Solwolf

I keep going back and forth on VQ vs. Pierce the Veil - I just don't want to be manaless when the crap hits the fan against a champ pack.

Oh, and btw - for those tempted to use a 2h weap, don't use the in-game item compare feature if you're currently using a 1h/mojo set up - the compare window doesn't take the mojo's damage or stats into the comparison.
  4. Darksilanus

Darksilanus IncGamers Member

So here's my build...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRTdUV!aZe!aZYZcY

Still rather conservative with three sources of on demand healing, spirit walk and spirit vessel. I know it's not the safest build for HC since I've got to be up in the action for soul harvest and exploding toads, but how can I turn down the absolute sick damage of the toads? And now that they are sped up and cheaper manawise, they support my melee range spellcaster vibe well.

Acid cloud 3 or 4x in a row or sacrifice for burst damage. While I was leveling, I would take Frightening Aspect and bad medicine for bosses for sheer tankiness. I used it against the Butcher my first time in Inferno, but didn't really need it. My build can easily survive most encounters in Act 1 Inferno with only waller/arcane combo that really can cause me to sweat. Basically the strategy is to just dps enemies into the ground quickly and back up if needed for a second. Garg tanks well and dogs do too (if I don't explode them first).

And for anyone who hasn't tried it, circle of life procs WAY often enough to keep me with three dogs as much as I like.

Happily farming act 1 now and considering switching to Vengeful spirit if my gear gets a little bit better and I don't need the healing from Siphon anymore.
  5. stevethatsmyname

I soloed through act 2 and grouped through act 3 and the first half of act 4 (with a monk and barb).

The dogs can tank satisfactorily in act 2 (requiring only occasional recasting) and tank incredibly well in 3/4 with war cry!! At least with my gear level (90khp, 660 resist, 5k armor) they don't die when i get warcry / monk buff (puts me up to 1100 resist or so)
  6. lanceuppercut

lanceuppercut IncGamers Member

is there any special stat that a WD needs to stack like how (and im just generalising here) 1h barbs are usually LoH and DH go all out for crit chance etc?
  7. flint

flint IncGamers Member

If you are using Rain of Toads + Acid Cloud then having 500+ Life on Hit will make things a lot easier for you. Most builds other than straight Bears make pretty good use of LoH for the witch doctor. Because of the high proc rate on those skills some doctors like to use items with crowd control effects and bleed damage.

Other than that just try to balance out your stats, i.e. keep roughly a 10:1 ratio of crit damage:crit chance. Some people are finding the +gold/globe radius builds powered up by Gruesome Feast to be very powerful, but I'm pretty sure none of them play on hardcore.
  8. Solwolf

This man speaks truth. Load up on Vit, Int, all res and armor, and then LoH. Once you're comfortable running inferno a1 or a2, farm until you can afford crit chance/crit damage and/or status effects.

9. lanceuppercut

lanceuppercut IncGamers Member

Is there an all res/armour number I should ideally be aiming for?

Be nice to know at what point I could start to sacrifice basic survival stats in preference for CC stuff.
  10. sOFrOsTy

sOFrOsTy IncGamers Member

I am a hardcore WD currently farming act 1 solo and act 2 with a group and I use gruesome feast. It is an amazing passive that refills your mana to full during and after battles as well as upping your damage.

Here is my current build:

Firebomb - ghost bomb
    Acid Cloud - Corpse bomb
    Grasp of the dead - death is life
    Gargantuan - big stinker
    Spirit walk - life regent
    Wall of zombies - barricade

Passives: Pierce the veil, grave injustice, gruesome feast

I have 20k DPs, 4.5k armor, 730 all res, 48k HP, and for gruesome feast and grave injustice I have +37 additional health and globe radius.

I can spam corpse bomb a million times because of the mana I get back from both passives, because I use grave injustice I am guaranteed to be able to use wall of zombies 1-2 times per battle, and I think the rest is obvious. So far this witch doctor is paragon level 8 and seems to be doing pretty good. Yes I play hardcore.

11. flint

flint IncGamers Member

For doing A1 Inferno or for completing the game solo or what?

You can probably handle A1 Inferno with 350 All Resist, 35k hp, 8k dps, and 3k armor. You won't be flying through it but it will be doable. To move to A2 you probably want to bumpb that up to 700 AR, 40k hp, and 15k dps.

12. stevethatsmyname

Well, i managed to get through a4 inferno with a group (myself & monk & barbarian), we were all co-tanking most stuff. Pets did pretty well, died a few times but mostly stayed alive long enough to always have *something* alive to tank with. Pets even seemed ok tanking the big mallet lords!

We got through without having to skip any packs. With the 3 of us some champions we could split up to 1 champion per player (but some of the wierd ranged ones like the corrupt angels don't like being split like that).

A couple nasties like arcane & illusion angels, and jailer & desecrate something or other.

Diablo himself was probably not as bad as a few of the packs leading up to him. The arcane & illusion mentioned above would most likely have enraged (if enrage hadn't been removed from the game).

My stats:
    95k HP
    ~660 resist unbuffed (1000-1200 buffed with barb/monk auras)
    18k dps
    4.5k armor
    700 life on hit
    950 life per second (from talent based on 1% HP), 1400 ish with monk aura.

I may gear up a bit more and try diablo solo.
  13. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Not so well here -- just managed to kill my level 42 WD in Nm act 2 on Belial.. I had 13k life - 1k dps using Acid Cloud,Firebomb combo for attacks , Gargantuan, Dogs, Spirit walk, and Mass confusion.Gruesome Feast, Jungle Fort , Vision Quest passives... I didnt have any problems on him in the previous patch so I was confident Id have no issues again,,, - WRONG,, I was watching his life and I was barely scratching him and then the Green Balls started flying and he stuck his arms in the ground I Healed and Spirit walked - and then it was over..

I didnt realise they Nerfed Vision Quest so bad in this patch but I do like the new Summons being able to stay alive pretty well. Im torn on whether to start another WD or make a Wiz this time...

:thumbsup:
  14. stevethatsmyname

Well, don't give up on WD so easily, I think with the buff to pets it may be one of the best HC classes now. You may need to work on learning to dodge the acid pools on belial. Were you wearing a shield? that makes a big difference in incoming damage!

15. robinnerf

robinnerf IncGamers Member

Which one of the runes do you like most to Acid Cloud ?
    I have a hard time to choose between Acid Rain, Lob Blob Bomb or Slow Burn, which one is good in which situation ?
  16. Goffe

Goffe IncGamers Member

couldnt find a thread like this for 1.0.5 so im bumping this one :)

i recently started HC and im running a WD for the first time. and i must say I'm loving it!
    im wondering if anyone uses soul harvest in HC now? it sure is a great boost but at a great price. also im having trouble parting with m dogs, seems alot of people have though. isnt the extra tanking worth it?
  17. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I'm running both dogs and soul harvest. I use a pretty tanky build (~1700 LoH, ~700 life/sec, mid 800's@, a shield, and ~50k life), so I don't have any issues with soul harvest being too risky. As for the dogs, I definitely wouldn't give them up. The CC is unbeatable... especially a good combo with soul harvest!