Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

1.0.7 - Let's drop some bells - towards a more active playstyle.

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Contego, Jan 22, 2013. | Replies: 22 | Views: 12065

1. Contego

Contego IncGamers Member

Looking at the patch notes, I noticed wave of light is getting a huge damage increase. This got me thinking if I could include it in my cookie cutter build, since I've been getting a bit bored lately. I've come up with the following build:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aeSYgk!bUX!Yaccaa

Now that the weapon damage of wave of light is increased to 829%, I feel like it could do great burst damage. The only problem is, as has often been mentioned, the monk lacks ways to get a lot of spirit, and most spenders cost too much. I've tried to get around these problems by using fists of thunder - quickening as a generator, and adding exalted soul as a passive. I've been trying this build today on 1.0.6, and it's already showing a lot of potential. I'll write down the cons and pros of this build that I've found so far:

Cons:
    - You lose fists of lightning - thunderclap, which means losing mobility.
    - You lose breath of heaven - blazing wrath as a heal AND as a passive damage increase.
    - You lose a passive to exalted soul. Not a big deal in my opinion, since most are rubbish anyway.

Pros:
    - You can do great (burst) damage using wave of light.
    - You generate spirit really quick.
    - Life per spirit spent greatly benefits from this as well.
    - A more active playstyle.

I know this build is in no way revolutionary, but for me, it has really increased the fun I have while playing my monk. A more regular build would focus more on passive buffs to maximize the output of thunderclap and sweeping winds. This build however, takes away some of that passive power, to facilitate a more active playstyle.

One of the things I like about this build, is that you can choose WHEN you want to do great damage. When a tough elite groups comes up, you can really kill them in a second. I've been using the combination 'blind -> overawe -> WoL -> WoL -> ..' with great success. I'm currently using this build for fun in 1.0.6, but when 1.0.7 arrives, I can't imagine the damage it will do!

The great thing is, you still have enough spirit to activate sweeping winds before the fight starts. I'm not currently running with any gear that gives spirit back, and I'm never short of it. This build might really benefit from life per spirit spent, therefore it might increase the use of transcendence as well.

I haven't started this thread to tell anyone this is the best build around, or this is the build you should use when 1.0.7 arrives. I'd like to get a discussion going about what you all think of this build, and if it could be a viable alternative to the usual SS build. My own monk only has 75k dps at the moment. Therefore, I've only tested this build on lower monster levels. Is there some huge flaw in this build I'm not seeing? Is the loss of thunderclap simply too big to justify this more active playstyle?
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. LordC

LordC IncGamers Member

I've been playing around with this build in 1.06:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/LordC-1288/hero/9726373

I'm really looking forward to testing this out in the new patch, because Wave of Light already crushes things if you build around it.
    With a standard Thunderclap/Cyclone build, you're looking for high crit chance and high attack speed to maximize your tornado output; spirit regeneration isn't particularly important because you're probably only using it to spam Overawe.
    If you want to maximize Wave of Light, though, you definitely have to find a consistent source of mass generation.

I tried Quickening and Strike from Beyond; although they fill your spirit bulb almost instantaneously, I couldn't live with the reduced mobility vs. Thunderclap. I also played around with a high speed duel-wielding variant, but the Bell damage output was only fair and I found myself killing most enemies with Thunderclap/Cyclone anyway.

So ultimately, I went for the full-tilt Skorn build, relying almost entirely on passive spirit regen sources (1.7 from Hat + 1.8 from SoJ + 1 from Exalted Soul + 3 from Inner Storm = 7.5 + 35% from Guardian Path = 10.1 spirit/sec). Since I'm not spamming Overawe, I swapped it for Submission, which pings enemies for 14% of Skorn damage every second. Also benefiting from the big axe is Fulminating Onslaught, which can demolish enemy packs and doubles as a defensive ability.

This build does run out of spirit in long fights, so I try to pick off single whites with Thunderclap to save the bells for big packs and elites. I tried swapping in Chant of Resonance at one point, but I found it unnecessary most of the time on MP0/1. For higher MP settings, extra spirit regen would definitely be necessary. Another negative is that Life on Hit mods are severely hobbled by the low attack rate and dismal 11% proc rate of bells.

One option I've considered but haven't tested yet is the combination of Quickening/Strike from Beyond with one of the 75 spirit Wave of Light runes. Explosive Light is devastating and easier to aim (or rather, not aim) than bells, and Blinding Light can lock down bosses indefinitely. The high generation/high expenditure model would also make the most of Life Per Spirit Spent mods. Unfortunately, this loadout would give up the mobility and versatility of Thunderclap and probably reduce overall damage output by forcing more spirit-generating strikes.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

Chant of Resonance >> Exalted Soul if you aren't spamming MOC.

Don't forget to use Templar resource skill for +12% spirit generation.

It's really worth getting high spirit regen in your SOJ and Inna helm even if you have to ignore the other stats on them. Xephirian amulet can be good too, although expensive. The life regen helps, and you can get up to 2878 life/kill stat.

4 piece Inna's saves a lot with SW only costing 5 spirit. It's cheap enough to spam in between battles to keep your inner storm at the required 3 stacks all the time.

LOH becomes pretty useless in this build. Either you need to get some LS (very expensive) or some life/kill (very cheap). Extra pickup range for health globes, extra health from health globes.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/GAK-6148/hero/21891245

I haven't tried this yet, but Exploding Palm - Strong Spirit may be a cheap way to fill up.
    I want to try this but ... when I am on PTR dueling is just too much fun to do anything else.
  4. LordC

LordC IncGamers Member

I've found quite the opposite; the ability to drop six bells in a row as soon as you reach a pack is crucial, and the spirit regen is high enough with either passive to fill the bulb by the time the next pack shows up.

Agreed. Health Globes Grant +X Life and +X Life Per Kill seem to be valued as junk stats right now, and they can spawn with astonishingly high values.

Gakky, I'm fascinated that you've opted against using Wave of Light in your particular build. I know that Thunderclap + Sweeping Wind can dish out brutal damage without any help, but where do you vent your extra spirit?
  5. Contego

Contego IncGamers Member

I've actually found the same. For this build, it's great to have some extra spirit stacked, so you can unleash it on an elite pack. The combination I mentioned in my first post mentioned the combination 'blind -> overawe -> bells', which does great damage. It's interesting to see that others have been thinking about including wave of light as well.
  6. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

without any mobility; how do you actually deal with stunlock-combos? LIke a jailer, frozen, arcane & desecrator combo? Sure serenity can break 1 of combo them, but then a second time a ccc happens you die, especially if something like an arcane & desecrator are fired on you.

This build would hence depend very much on killing elites before they have a chance to do their combo twice.
  7. Contego

Contego IncGamers Member

A very good question, one that I've been thinking about today. I've mostly been playing on low monster levels, where this problem doesn't really occur. It might be an option to get thunderclap back. However, that would put a lot of pressure on your gear/passives to get enough spirit to be able to spam wave of light.

Another slight problem I encountered today, was facing elites than keep running away all the time. This just to be no problem, since thunderclap just keeps teleporting to catch up. This is another downside of this build. Chasing treasure goblins is harder. However, I was able to one-shot some of them, with a simple blind -> WoL combination :)

I guess it all depends on how much damage WoL will do after the patch, and if that justifies losing some mobility. I'll edit the opening post to include this.
  8. LordC

LordC IncGamers Member

Options for dealing with CCC: Seven-Sided Strike, Pacifism, or just play smarter when Serenity's on cooldown.
    As for chasing down monsters: whenever I pulled out Thunderclap, I found room for Dashing Strike or Sudden Assault; both of these worked for chasing monsters, but they just felt underpowered and awkward in comparison. Cyclone Strike could be another option with the damage boost. I've never had any luck with Strike from Beyond, but I know it has its fans as well; it does have the crucial benefit of directly replacing a slotted ability so you don't have to give up Blinding Light.
  9. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Can't you fit dashing strike somewhere in there? I'd really like to vouch for that; especially in such a high-sprit regeneration build: you can spam it to "GTFO". And at the other side also use it to chase (constantly), cover ground very quickly (using the dozens of popables).
  10. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

So I am actually considering doing something with bells in 1.07. It's a bit of a drastic change in mindset, but my goal is to completely remove the desire for crit and crit damage stacking from my gear entirely.

Here is my idea:
    use Templar
    stack spirit generator damage bonus on gear
    stack attack speed
    stack passive spirit regen from gear
    stack dex and more dex
    keep lifesteal
    initially keep high all res+main resist type.
    try and avoid using extra spirit regen passives.

So here's my character and here is what I am thinking of using: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Duskmourn-1569/hero/1227391
    WotHF, Spirited salvo (every activation has a 15% chance for 15 spirit)
    BoH, Blazing Wrath
    Wave of Light, Explosive light
    Dashing Strike,Quicksilver or Mystic Ally, Air Ally
    Sweeping Inner Storm
    MoC, Overawe. or MoE Backlash with Mystic Air.
    Transcendence/Guardian's with backlash
    OwE
    Seize

If you look at my current rings, helm, and weapons you can see that it's easy to achieve plenty of spirit regen from gear. All I really need is a crystal fist with spirit regen and a socket to get the new Marquisse Ruby sometime in the distant future. You can actually achieve over 40 increased damage to spirit generator with a mara's kaleidescope. I'd still get Inna's belt and the rest would focus on purely dexterity, AR, and for me Fire Res with Vile Ward sometime.

This would indeed be a project. I haven't run any numbers because I don't.
  11. Contego

Contego IncGamers Member

I've actually been thinking about this build as well. I wasn't able to fit dashing strike in, since I simply feels it gives too little to justify the skill spot.. Maybe I could incorporate it in another build. In this build, I've actually taken out sweeping winds. I know it's an amazing spell, but it also takes up a lot of spirit, especially when you have to recast it in between fights. Exploding palm has received a nice buff as well. I figured it might be great to cast exploding palm on an elite, and then spam that one for the corpse explosion effect, which has been increased to 50% health! Any thoughts?

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skil...rMCtSdW5lX0ErMjA5MDI3KzIwOTY1NisyMDk2MjgrMQ==
  12. mr.dines

mr.dines IncGamers Member

Where would you get the spirit to both use WoL, Exploding palm and MoC - Overawe?
  13. VagrantKing

VagrantKing IncGamers Member

In Hardcore, currently running this build for bells in MP0:

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skil...fQStSdW5lX0UrMjA5NjU2KzIwOTYyOCsxNTY0ODQrMQ==

FoT: Quickening - Great spirit generator with high crit especially if you hit multiple enemies.
    DS: Quicksilver - Great mobility, can escape jailer. Low cost rune so you can use often
    WoL: Empowered Wave - The bread and butter of this build; Good DPS. Low cost rune to spam.
    SSS: SA - Great supplemental DPS to WoL, short invuln
    Serenity: Peaceful Repose - Hheal, escape, invul
    MoE: Divine Protection - hardcore safety net

Passives - All defensive since I play hardcore. I may drop Sieze the Initiative for Exalted Soul once I feel safe(r). I think you can skip passive spirit regeneration if you use a primary with one of the runes for spirit generation. Currently still a work in progress.

I think SW is a spirit hog and does not synergize well with WoL. edit: I replaced SSS with SW and with quickening, its actually not too bad
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  14. zorroaster

zorroaster IncGamers Member

I 've been playing with this build today

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skil...fQStSdW5lX0MrMjA5MDI3KzIwOTYyOCsyMDk2NTYrMQ==

Seemes to be very effective on mp5 with 105k dps. Normal mobs are easily die from SW, and I try to keep my spirit high before encountering elites. Then comes blinding flash+overawe+a series of bells. Since my aps is 2.49, the boost from blind is quite significant, and this means that in 3 seconds I usually take down the mobs life by 40-80%. I don't have any spirit regen gear, but the high aps gives very good spirit generation with thunderclap, so even when I can't hit them properly, by the next blinding flash (15 sec) My spirit is full and I can do a full attack again. Ghom on mp5 usually died after the second attack.
  15. CptNinjetty

CptNinjetty IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/CptNinjetty-1915/hero/31263977

I've been raping with this. If i had a godly one hander for bells id go with a board and do a backlash variant.
    You're so explosive that you only need serenity once at that critical moment if at all.
    Awe into 3 or 4 bells..im trying to hit 3aps thats the best spirit regen method.
    Id switch to cyclone once better geared.

Love spamming bells so fast. Worse thing atm is EF going off and then i thunderclap/chase elites all over. wich can be good but i hate breaking them up and not getting the aoe.
  16. Tombat

Tombat IncGamers Member

hey dudes,

why you prefer to drop breath instead of blinding in order to use Bell? breath combined with guiding light gives huge damage in parties, while I find blinding annoying since has to be recasted every few seconds.

Im not an experienced monk user, btw ;)

Tomb
  17. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

So allow me to explain a few things about how my build actually works.

First I prefer to solo mp6 with this with a templar.
    I have 7.24 spirit regen/sec from gear and 3 from inner storm.
    45% extra damage to Way of the Hundred Fists from gear
    2.43 and 2.68 aps on my dual fists Crystal/Azsturasq with Blazing Fist stacked (and 39runspeed)
    103k sheet dps with blazing wrath/Fist no idea what that translates to with WotHF buff on gear
    786 life regen and 2.8 Life Leech
    43.5k life
    2800 Dex
    19.5%crit
    5% stun
    611 res

The wonderfully amazing thing about how this build plays out is that you actually focus on the mobs with MORE health rather than the ones with less because the bell damage hits everything around it for the same amount and you dashing strike your way around as defense. It's incredibly fun to piss people off in mp3 watching all the mobs around me get knocked back when I shoot off one of these bells (I use guiding light in group play). I lack crit (hopefully that will change when the RNG gods give me some crit/AS gloves with FireRes and crit bracers with good dex/AR-Fire Res/vita, and Shoulders with AR,Fire Res and Vita) and I am building around not using any crit damage because I CAN, and I will do just fine without it!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Duskmourn-1569/hero/1227391

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skil...uZV9EK1J1bmVfQSsyMDk2MjgrMjA5NjU2KzIxODQxNSsw
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  18. metalmusicman04

metalmusicman04 IncGamers Member

19. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

The usefulness of the life per kill stat cannot be overstated for this build. I recently crafted an amulet with 2815 L/K on it and it allows me to ignore every single defensive stat for MP0 play, possibly even for MP1, I haven't tried yet. The new Wave of Light is so powerful, that with half decent gear you'll one shot everything on your screen with the Explosive Light rune, including some Elites. Basically, with some L/K as your only defense, if monsters cannot kill you in one hit, then they cannot kill you at all.

I really enjoy this build, because it works with cheap gear and it really rewards quick reaction times. Missing a Blinding Flash or mistiming Serenity could easily mean instant death, if you go all offense. It's a refreshing change of pace after all the tanky monk builds I used after the release of the game. It's almost like playing a melee Demon Hunter in this regard.
  20. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

I have 2878 L/K 9.5 critc 1.65 SR on my Xeph amulet. Beast for low MP. Only one I have ever seen on AH with both critc and L/K.
    But I don't do low MP anymore so currently selling is US realm.

I love WoL. I am now running MP10 with not one defensive skill, all 3 spirit passives and Inner Storm.