Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.0.3 Act 3 build, DEMOLISHING everything! Seriously, Act 3 is a cakewalk now.

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Thehealthygamer, Jun 21, 2012. | Replies: 70 | Views: 24086

1. Thehealthygamer

Thehealthygamer IncGamers Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhBnb3vu-x4

Favorite build yet, really synergistic with all the different skills you use. Crit chance is the new IAS :D

I think there can still be tweaks and improvements, would love to hear your suggestions.
  2. Enso

Enso IncGamers Member

Amazing, I can't wait to try this build! I currently have no LoH (due to its cost I've been relying on LpSS, life regen, and high resists) so I think I need to get a good bit of that before I drop my powerful shield (probably my single best item). I'm thinking about buying 2 800+ dps blue daggers (only a few 100k and dropping) with sockets and putting a 400 LoH amethyst (about 600k gem crafting costs) in each for 800 LoH overall, then focusing on getting crit and crit damage from my gear until I can farm act 3 and eventually afford to upgrade my weapons. I'm very happy that dual wielding is finally optimal without needing to be insanely overgeared.
  3. Thehealthygamer

It might even be good to get 2 700dps blues that have critical hit damage modifier on them and a socket, and socket with +life on hit. Or the other way around, with + life on hit and a socket and socket with + critical hit damage. Increasing the damage of your critical hits is pretty vital to massively increasing your DPS. Anyways let me know how it turns out for you :)

4. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

iam using a similar build currently though i havent dropped my shield yet. i have a particular good one - that is.

on a side note. Sweeping wind Cyclone does only scale _directly_ off your chance to land a critical strike. Its true that you can prcc more Tornados off more ATS but that does not automatically equate to more overall dps. ( though it will certainly equate to an insane amount of screen cluttering with tornados )

If you had a monk using 2h ( i know ridiculous but just for the sake of argument :p ) with 30 k dps and 30% crit and 1,1 ATS he would do just aswell with with SW: Cyclone as the Dual Wield monk with 30k dps and 30% crit and 2,1 ATS.
    (though the 2hmonk would have less Spirit and sustain through LOH ... but thats besides the point iam trying to make.)

IAS and Crit damage affixes have no direct synergy with SW: Cyclone. they do have a direct Influence on your general dps true. but if you want to get the maximum effect out of SW: cyclone only Critchance is important.

what i mean to say is :

if you have Gloves with ~250 Dex and 8-10 critchance. its far more likely that these will yield more dps boost than say Gloves with
    ~100 dex 25 critdmg and ~8 crit. but all in all your increases are dpendant of what you already have.

what i can tell with certainty is the following. If you are using FOT: Thunderclap and have about 15%-20% Critchance SW: Cyclone will be the rune with the most Dps. there really is not much more to it. it has always been this good. but alot of people do still have no concept of procc coefficients so cyclone was often neglected as just being "gimmicky".
  5. Dym

Dym IncGamers Member

Monk Changes
    Thunderclap and Sweeping Wind - We feel like these skills were too [strike]fun[/strike] powerful so we will nerf them to the ground. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
  6. LucianDK

LucianDK IncGamers Member

Mind listing the skills here for those of us that have hearing issues?
  7. Thehealthygamer

8. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Looks fun for sure, too bad good crit gear is so pricey!
  9. iESCAPISM

iESCAPISM IncGamers Member

Kestegs: Try it with a +crit shield, those come fairly cheap and can boost your crit by a lot, allowing you to get a quick feel for the build. The magic kicks in at 23% crit or somesuch. :nod:

Healthy:
    Like I said regarding your last version of this build: I use a build around the same core but with a few variations and really recommend it.

It's neat that you can make it work with that high dps and low @/Defense in general. I think I'll try that out. :alright:

For anyone else wanting to try this out but is having a hard time surviving: get a shield instead of an off-hand weapon and make sure the shield has 8% crit or more. Like Healthy said himself: Crit is the new ias, and shields can spawn with 10% crit (possibly more?). I prefer that setup since I have yet to afford a good LoH weapon, plus the fact that I lucked out and found a Lantern of Justice. I make up for the loss in ias from dual wielding by using Way of the Hundred Fists with the rune that makes critical hits increase aspd by 15% when stacked (and run speed). Open with the teleport of FoT and then do the second attack of WotHF and you're pretty much fully stacked. I feel this is a bigger increase to my overall dps than Blind is, and the increased run-speed makes up for the defensive aspects of Blind, since I can easily re-position or back off and get a breather whenever I need to.

Neat fact: with FoT on left mouse and WotHF on the right mouse, you can hold left and click right repeatedly and the game will alternate between the attacks. Way easier than clicking one then the other! Do this until you have 3/3 stacks of the ias buff or when you need to refresh the buff, if you feel it's easier than plain alternating. It's convenient.
  10. Thehealthygamer

WOW. You have just changed my life sir. The only reason I never ran two spirit gen combos was because its a PITA imo to constantly alternate... but now with this... holy hell.

11. Ohlmann

Ohlmann IncGamers Member

Stupid question : the proc coefficient is the same as the coefficient for Life on Hit ? So, Fist of fury, the rune of Way of Hundred fist that put a dot, would be another good way to stack tornadoes quickly ?
  12. Pizzarino

Pizzarino IncGamers Member

I too would like to endorse WotHF: blazing fury. WotHF is generally slower attacks than FoT, so what you want to do ideally is get a first and third hit from FoT and the second hit from WotHF (the repeating fast punches). These hits don't do as much damage as the single strike swings but they will proc tornados and IAS buffs faster than anything else.
  13. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

FOT is faster : and even though both procc coefficients are equally broken i think that thunderclap would win generally speaking.

also i would never ever in my life use both of them at the same time. even if you pulled off your FOT WOTHF FOT combo 100% of the time it would still not be worth saccing a skillslot for it ...

i for once am currentlly using Thunderclap ; forseight , combination strike and overawe :p my def stats are pretty good though my weapon ist still pretty medicore for dmg regardless.

i considered WOTHB with the attackspeed rune for a while instead of using Foresight. though Forseight is just as good. its less strain to use and keep the buff up and it can be used in kiting situations and when "mobs get stuck" somewhere.

14. Enso

Enso IncGamers Member

I would definitely do this, but since blues can only have 2 affixes and a socket takes up one and damage takes up one, I can't get LoH or crit damage as an affix unless I buy a rare, which cost many times more. Do you think I can get enough crit damage from my other slots? Or do you have any other ideas about how I can move into this kind of build reasonably cheaply? I'll check rares around 700 DPS and see if I can find one that's in my price range.

15. Mr Man

Mr Man IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#adXgih!YXU!YcbYcc

Here is another tweak for everyone's consideration. I personally like mantra of conviction overawe for the massive dmg boost (for party especially) rather than backlash but it definitely has synergy with dashing strike. Also blind, blazing wrath, and whichever serenity you prefer are interchangable as well depending on preference. I've used this build for a while, pre-ias nerf and only with a one hand wep and shield, but am liking the massive increase in crit dmg from two weapons idea.

If we are increasing crit chance by a massive amount for synergy with cyclone i thought what other crit based skills are there? Blazing fists is definitely a good skill (and now an even more important source of ias) but I looked at the uses of quickening. With say a 33 percent crit chance that means on average every 3 strikes of a combo you generate another 15 spirit, that works out to be about 11 spirit per strike (nice). This is a huge boost to spirit generation that you dont get anywhere else.

This means that you can spirit dump into skills such as your mantra and also because of massive spirit gen, dashing strike. This TOTALLY improves the value of life per spirit spent. Usually on a weapon you can get a max of lets say 1000 (not sure) life per hit or so and 100? life per spirit spent. Whats better for life regen? If both have equivalent values 1000-100, 700-70, life per spirit spent will only generate .6 of what life per hit does as each strike you only get 6 spirit generated. With quickening this all changes suddenly you are getting 11 spirit per strike.

This means with life per spirit spent weapons, which are generally a lot cheaper than loh weapons, become quite viable. This also means trancendence becomes equivalent to 600 or so loh.

Add in dashing strike as a movement skill. I think you need a movement skill and if you cant take Fot I would take dashing strike. I take the added dodge bonus as I think its the most useful.

These two skills while both movement skills are very different from each other (and i prefer dashing strike). FoT is shorter, on the first strike of a combo generator, and puts you in front of the target you are aiming at. Dashing strike can go across the map, can be used anytime, costs spirit, and puts you at the back of the target you aim for. It takes some adjusting when you first start using dashing strike compared to FoT, if there is a pack of enemies running toward you dont aim with dashing strike for the first one as that will put you behind the first guy and into the middle of a pack.

The situations I find myself dying in are usually when I am blocked by alot of enemies or have been walled up by a boss, its these situations that dashing strike is SO much better. While FoT states its a teleport it is still bound by pathfinding problems and doesnt work like one, when hemmed in there is no way to get out but to blow through your cooldowns and hope to kill enough that you can create a space to move out of. Dashing strike has no such problems with moving through enemies and it puts you at the back of the enemy you target with an easy exit path.

With so much spirit gen and mobility from dashing strike it is easy to combo a champion dashing strike to the other side of the champ pack, while the target is rooted then turning around combo and rinse repeat. They cant ever catch you as they are constantly turning this way and that like a tennis spectator.

With a move to two weapons I might think about swapping in dodge passive for defense but i havent done the math to work out which is better.
  16. iESCAPISM

All interesting thoughts, even if l feel they are not very related to this particular build, Mr.Man. Dashing Strike is definately an increadible movement skill and l miss having it around. Great for bosses like Butcher, Diablo, Siege and any mobs that gave hard hitting, slow apecial attacks. Charging up? I'll simply DS and end up behind you while you do your little animation.
  17. Mr Man

Mr Man IncGamers Member

Are you talking about my thoughts on dashing strike or the rest of my build? The OPs build was a crit based cyclone build wasnt it? Just as you suggested a slight difference to it I responded to the OP's seeking of further suggestions to the build. All that I changed was the rune for Fists of thunder to have further synergy from our crit based gear and as that was our movement skill I added DS, I would say its still the same core that we are talking about though?

18. Ohlmann

Ohlmann IncGamers Member

Well, let's be honest : I believe FoT teleport to be the main problem of the skill. It put you right into plagued / molten / whatever fire you were trying to avoid, and make your move a lot less predictable.

That's one of the reason for which Fist of fury is better in my opinion. While it does still have a dash, it does not kill me as often. Teleport on command is godly ; auto-teleport on spirit generator is a huge liability.

(I concur iESCAPISM on the use to avoid attack. It will work even better when actI demon with the hammer will stop spinning to hit you regardless ; in any event that's a lot easier than backtracking)

19. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

I'm using backlash monk as well even pre patch, but i'm sticking with the shield. Key difference is that i can just: BLARGHBLARGHBLARGH cyclone strike, BOOM! everything.

Stats are roughly 43k health, 19k dps, 20% crit, 33% block, bit over 1/2 chance to dodge, 10k armor with keen eye and just shy of 800 resists. At the moment i can't just justify dropping shield for an offhand. Even with my mitigation, which by all means could be higher, block pretty much is zero damage taken.

In essence the build plays out in same way, but i think i can kill stuff faster (judging by the video) by going along the golden middle road with beefing up as well as dealing damage at the same time.
  20. iESCAPISM

My apologies, l did not take the time to actually click your build (on my phone) and apparantly jumped conclusions. With all the talk about DS l simply got the impression that your focus laid someplace else than Sweeping+High Crit. My bad.

However, l do feel Thunderclap is close to mandatory for this build, motivated by how many crits the attack can score within a short time-span.