Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Newbie to this site, and Diablo II as a whole...

Hey all! Gavin here. I am an avid gamer, played a range of games from Might and Magic to Neverwinter Nights to Icewind Dale, and came across Diablo II. I admit, I had it for a while, and even gave it some game time back in the day, but never really embraced the game till a few weeks ago.

I don’t know much about Diablo II - a complete noob, I know - and am a bit embarrassed that I am in the dark when it comes to most of the references made on this forum, like the “ladder”, and various skills and item names. But I am eager to learn.

I had to re-purchase Diablo II because I had it a while ago but lost some of the discs. So, I bought it again and have been enjoying it immensely.

I am on the third quest, with a level 12 Barbarian, and have a few questions…

1. What is the fastest, easiest, most convenient way to respawn enemies? I have found that when I clear any given area of enemies, the place is void of adversaries.
    2. When hiring mercenaries, is there a way to see how close they are to leveling up?
    3. How do I ressurect the characters I have hired?
    4. Is it better to install the expansion pack straight out (installing the expansion pack when installing the game itself)? I played Icewind Dale (a favorite of mine) a little while ago, but when I inquired on a forum about when to install the expansion, I was told to install it when I install the original game. And when I install it, can I still play the game all the way through, in the correct order, and then play all the extra quests? How do I do that?

Anyway, the modest game time that I have, it is devoted to Diablo II. If anyone can help me, or have any assistance for a Barbarian, I’m open for suggestions. Thanks!

Re: Newbie to this site, and Diablo II as a whole...

Welcome! First Q do u play single player?
    1) single player exit game and re-enter I guess, battle net create a fresh game. On single player use the /players X (with X a number) to make the game more difficult (and gain more XP).
    2) should be a hotkey to open your merc screen with his Xp in (in expansion for sure)
    3) go back to the guy u hired him/her from (expansion)
    4) definately install the expansion, better video mode etc. It just adds Act 5 extra with all the original quests/acts remaining.

IncGamers Member

Thanks for the heads up, royalairfarce! Much obliged. Can you explain the “/players X” that you had mentioned in your message? If I install the expansion game, will I still play through the initial game and then the expansion, in order? I heard something about a toggle for playing the expansion (or not?) with any given character…? When someone mentions a "ladder", what are they referring to?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gavindale Marchovia View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, royalairfarce! Much obliged. Can you explain the “/players X” that you had mentioned in your message? If I install the expansion game, will I still play through the initial game and then the expansion, in order? I heard something about a toggle for playing the expansion (or not?) with any given character…? When someone mentions a "ladder", what are they referring to?
    The Players X command only works in Single Player. It was added so that Single Players could simulate having others in their game, but in different areas of the game. Look here for more info on the Players X command.

Installing the expansion will still allow you to play through from the beginning just as normal in order. You can still play classic, as in without the extra content or changes, by un-checking, or not checking, the "Expansion" box when you select your character. The two new classes, Assassin and Druid, you are required to play with that checked.

If you plan to play Single Player then ladder means little as it is a B.net or online only feature. The ladders are a way for players to start the game without everyone already having high level items or characters. Everyone starts at level 1 with nothing and have to build from there. It is a completely separate economy and is reset every ~9? months, sorry I play Single Player and do not know the exact approximation. After the ladder is reset all the characters and items from that economy are put into the existing non-ladder economy. And a new economy is started where everyone starts new again. In Single Player it is a term that usually means it is not in Single Player. Such as the ladder-only runewords. They can however, be added, but require a slight modification to the game. There are a few more b.net only features. If you want we can tell you about them.

D3 General & D2 Newcomer Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

Personally I find the Single Player experience to be far superior to the Battle.net experience, by the way.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
    OH PLEASE HELP I found out why Waldo's always hiding he did so many horrible things please let me in he's righ

BattleTag What Me Worry?

I like playing a ladder season on-line myself.

More of a tournament thing and I like playing online but only in private (password protected) games and with friends outside of trading.

Sent From under Noodles Doormat.

IncGamers Member

So, if I install the expansion pack now - I am on the third quests of the first Act - how do I signify playing the "classic" game, and when I play the expansion? I have heard about a certain place to click on during the selection of what character to play. Should I click on that toggle before playing? I am concerned about how to select which version I will be playing (classic vs. expansion). I intend to play the original game, and then when I complete that, I will play the expansion. Your thoughts?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gavindale Marchovia View Post
    So, if I install the expansion pack now - I am on the third quests of the first Act - how do I signify playing the "classic" game, and when I play the expansion? I have heard about a certain place to click on during the selection of what character to play. Should I click on that toggle before playing? I am concerned about how to select which version I will be playing (classic vs. expansion). I intend to play the original game, and then when I complete that, I will play the expansion. Your thoughts?
    Look at my above quote for new characters. For existing characters you do not have to worry. There is a button on the character select screen that says 'convert to expansion' or something like that. Select the character and press the button. That will convert the character to expansion and allow you to enter Act V when you are ready. Until you convert the character he/she will play classic even if you install the expansion.

If you are worried about story and not gameplay then just click the button that says 'convert'. The story will be the same, expansion only adds Act V. All characters start out in Act I and progress through the story the same in classic and expansion.

IncGamers Member

Great, thanks for the heads up!

IncGamers Member

Is there much point to leveling up all the hired mercenaries to a substantial level? Or should I concentrate only on one of them? I know there is the experience value, but would it be a lost cause/a waste of time?