Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IncGamers Member

Re: Hello + requesting a bit of MF/progress advice

I thought A2 mercs could only use spear and polearm class, am I wrong?
    Nope, you're absolutely right. what i suggest is that you wield the mace yourself on big hp bosses only, that way you will kill them way faster than if you whittle away at them with a weak elemental attack. Whenever you feel your bow attack does sufficient damage to kill bosses fairly fast and safe, you no longer need it,

And regarding melody, yes fiding a +3 skill bow with the right amount of sockets is a pain at times, but you can always make it in any bow at all (ofc more +skill is better, but the +3 from a non-ama bow is still helpful) and replace it as soon as you find a decent base with more +skill.

IncGamers Member

Things have been going along quite a bit better now. Managed to score a vipermagi to replace my spirit shroud, cubed some sockets for lore/black/splendor and also some Ptopz armor. I did end up giving Baal good talking to, but Hell just kicks my fluffy tail anyway, so no chance of pit runs or doing hell countess for an easy Ko rune (melody is looking further and further away).

Fortunately enough, I can do andy in about 3 minutes including running to her (crappy 40% run boots), meph in 4 or 5 minutes (oh god the stygian dolls), and a pindle in half a minute because why not. All with about 300% MF and on p1 since p3/5 seems to take too long. Personally I feel like I'm doing MF runs decently now, but it is a little disheartening to see so many normal set items. It looks like I'm going to continue doing this until I catch a break and get something to help me survive Hell.

To be honest, I'm just so sick of running NM countess and trav has netted me all of one amn rune in about 75 runs, so cubing Ko is out of the question until my patience returns somewhat.

Any lurkers still here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nehpets View Post
    Things have been going along quite a bit better now. Managed to score a vipermagi to replace my spirit shroud, cubed some sockets for lore/black/splendor and also some Ptopz armor. I did end up giving Baal good talking to, but Hell just kicks my fluffy tail anyway, so no chance of pit runs or doing hell countess for an easy Ko rune (melody is looking further and further away).

Fortunately enough, I can do andy in about 3 minutes including running to her (crappy 40% run boots), meph in 4 or 5 minutes (oh god the stygian dolls), and a pindle in half a minute because why not. All with about 300% MF and on p1 since p3/5 seems to take too long. Personally I feel like I'm doing MF runs decently now, but it is a little disheartening to see so many normal set items. It looks like I'm going to continue doing this until I catch a break and get something to help me survive Hell.

To be honest, I'm just so sick of running NM countess and trav has netted me all of one amn rune in about 75 runs, so cubing Ko is out of the question until my patience returns somewhat.

Any lurkers still here?
    You should be running Nightmare Baal. Get a nice layout (You want a layout where you happen to travel through a decent chunk of the levels without doubling back or getting frustrated trying to clear the whole thing). Keep the player count set to what you can handle, again, without frustration. There's a lot of monsters on the way and the minion waves themselves drop pretty good (charms, runes, etc). As a bonus, the extra levels gained here are going to help a lot more when you finally do break into Hell difficulty.

I'm not sure why anyone suggested making a "black" thingy. A "strength" runeword in a dagger is going to be much faster in applying Crushing Blow for an Amazon, and will afford a much faster block rate (You've got a "rhyme" bone shield, right?).

Figure out how to paste your item and player printout so nobody has to guess what you're working with.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by MYK View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone suggested making a "black" thingy. A "strength" runeword in a dagger is going to be much faster in applying Crushing Blow for an Amazon, and will afford a much faster block rate (You've got a "rhyme" bone shield, right?).
    Well, lets do the math on this one. Given that none of the two runewords affect AR, we don't need to take chance to hit monsters into account, since the terms will cancel each other when comparing the crushing blow ratio for the weapons. Assuming no other source of ias, we get 11 FPA from a Black flail (12 FPA base, 11 FPA at 11% ias, which is supplied by the 15% ias from black).

Over the course of 10s, we get (10x25)/11 attacks multiplied by the chance of CB -> 250/11*0,4 which is 9,0909..
    From a Strength dagger we get 10 FPA with no ias, -> 250/25*0,25 = 6,25. This results in 9,0909.../6.25 =1.454545... times as much CB from black as from strength.

Given 20% extra ias from other sources, we get 10 vs 9 frames instead and have 10/6,9444...=1,44, close to the same ratio.
    Of course, if Black is made in a slower mace things will change in favor of a Strength dagger.

Now, there is a point in you having alot faster block rate with a dagger than a swinging weapon, and if you get hit too often, causing block locks, the dagger will win hands down. This is quite uncommon vs single targets though, especially those that seem to prefer casting their abilities to hitting you (Mephisto, Diablo, Baal) and they are also highly likely to try to hit your valkyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by khuzgan View Post
    Well, lets do the math on this one. Given that none of the two runewords affect AR, we don't need to take chance to hit monsters into account, since the terms will cancel each other when comparing the crushing blow ratio for the weapons. Assuming no other source of ias, we get 11 FPA from a Black flail (12 FPA base, 11 FPA at 11% ias, which is supplied by the 15% ias from black).

Over the course of 10s, we get (10x25)/11 attacks multiplied by the chance of CB -> 250/11*0,4 which is 9,0909..
    From a Strength dagger we get 10 FPA with no ias, -> 250/25*0,25 = 6,25. This results in 9,0909.../6.25 =1.454545... times as much CB from black as from strength.

Given 20% extra ias from other sources, we get 10 vs 9 frames instead and have 10/6,9444...=1,44, close to the same ratio.
    Of course, if Black is made in a slower mace things will change in favor of a Strength dagger.

Now, there is a point in you having alot faster block rate with a dagger than a swinging weapon, and if you get hit too often, causing block locks, the dagger will win hands down. This is quite uncommon vs single targets though, especially those that seem to prefer casting their abilities to hitting you (Mephisto, Diablo, Baal) and they are also highly likely to try to hit your valkyrie.
    I'll agree that they're both similar in function, but not form: the 'Zon's swingin' animation is a bit goofy. There's more to it, too.

The rune cost.

This the op already seems frustrated trying to break into Hell, and building "Black" at the cost of Thul + Io + Nef seems like a step in the wrong direction, especially when they could get a lot more use out of saving the runes and cubing towards a Lum for a "Smoke" armor or saving even more for a Ko for "Melody". Neither "Strength" nor "Black" are going to be a silver bullet in crushing Hell, so why pay for more than necessary for the same effect?

Granted, they've already spent the runes now, so there's not much point... but it's the idea of it that bugged me.

I'm a bit worried about my rune cost argument. It seems true that Io is worth more than Amn, because you have to cube a stash full of Amn to get to Io, but you can also end up in the situation where you're either one Io or one Amn away from cubing to the next rune you need. Perhaps I need to drink some more coffee.

Don't be worried MYK. Amn rune is definitely much easier to come by than Io.

Anyway, in both cases, Amazon will have terrible chance to hit. Without doing any calculations, I think fully synergized FA will do good enough not to consider both melee options. Also bear in mind, that Nahpets wants to stick to the bow .