Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Hello + requesting a bit of MF/progress advice

Hullo, new guy here.

You guys are great, you know. I've played D2 quite a lot over the years, and after the distasteful launch of d3 I decided to come back and stick to D2 (forever ), and you, along with arreat summit, and other nice compendiums and forums are almost always alive in my web browser from a day to day basis. So, thank you for existing.

Onto business. What I have: 1.13c, RWM, GoMule, and a poorly (emphasis on poor) constructed bowazon with FA as her primary attack (I love quaffing mana potions.). ~120% MF. Lvl 56.

Currently, I've managed to get myself to NM diablo and kill him after much valk dancing. I feel like I'm not strong enough to progress onward to Baal and beyond, so I started doing NM mephisto runs. I die occasionally, and my Merc (A2Might) dies slightly more frequently due to having only a semi-decent insight and a poor 250 defense shirt. The process is long and slow, yet do-able.

What I would like to ask is this: should i try killing other things as a way to get a little bit better gear? andy perhaps or some area clearing... or is there some minor things I can do to maximize my meph run effectiveness. I feel like I should just hold out until I get a lucky shaftstop drop, but I've never really had an endgame character before and am unfamiliar with the higher level stuff (despite the hours I drop into perusing MF and treasure class number crunching threads).

Thanks for reading.

IncGamers Member

Re: Hello + requesting a bit of MF/progress advice

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you invest some points in valkyrie. When you are low on gear she's a real lifesaver for you and for your merc.

FA isn't exactly the most efficient for boss running, even if she can do it fine in nm. It's in general easier to dominate areas with low cold res with her setup. And given that you could kill diablo, there really should not be a problem for you to progress some in act 5, Maybe not up to kill baal directly, but definitely to clear some areas and gain a few levels. And once you've done that, kiling baal as well should not be too hard either.

Also, try improving your and your merc's gear a bit with some of the dirt cheap runewords if you feel unsafe and/or ineffective. And if you lack the low runes yo need, run nm countess or travincal council a few times on a higher player setting.

IncGamers Member

Yeah, I've got my trusty valkyrie (Also made a crappy spirit sword on switch for her. Can't hurt, right?). She is the only reason I managed to kill NM diablo in the first place.

Are any NM areas worth running and are comparable to slow meph runs? Diablo himself took somewhere between 20-30 minutes of dancing and potion slurping. I guess it's worth the grueling slog past Baal and into Hell Pit runs (if I can even do stuff like that)?

I don't understand what you mean by dirt cheap runewords. All the +ED% body armor runewords require at least one medium rune which means hundreds of NM countess runs (knowing my track record, I decided to run up an Amn for Edge runeword back in normal...). Is p5 trav comparable to NM countess at all? I've never heard of them being good rune drops before.

Hello.

I've played an untwinked amazon recently so here are some tips.

You are nearing the Hell difficulty, so I would look for a secondary attack. As strong physical bows are hard to come by in an untwinked play, I would go for charged strike and lighning fury. Shop some 2 amazon/3 javelin throwing spears at Anya (look only for throwing spears/harpoons, as other javelins have small quantity). Ideal shield at this stage would be Rhyme in a bone shield (shop for the shield at Drognan in Normal difficulty), but if you don't have the runes, any random shield will do. For bow I would use any random amazon bow with 1+ to bow skills. This specific build is called the Fishyzon, you can find a thourough guide for it made by Nightfish (altough I would put 1 point into Valkyrie).

Another thing I noticed, you have too much MF at this stage, which usually comes at the cost of offense and survivability. I would disregard MF completely and go for the latter. Survivability being composed of resists and life, offense from +skills and ias. The point is, when you pack a lot of MF at the cost of before mentioned, your killing speed is usualy slower, making all the MF counterproductive. The point I would start looking for MF is, when the play becomes smooth. Then carefuly putting on some MF equipment, while maintaining the smoothness.

I've played like this up until I reached Pindleskin in Hell. For the most part, It was smooth. Lucky Kelpie Snare find sure made it easier, but the merc still died a lot. So, maybe this gives you some ideas. Have a nice day.

IncGamers Member

I've heard hybrid amazons have a considerably easier time than bowazons, however, I decided to be a pure bowazon focusing on FA so I won't be deviated into tosserzon (at least this time 'round). As for sacrificing kill effectiveness for MF, I'm not sure I agree so much. I mean I've always been kind of lack luster in the killing department (very bad luck with gambles etc), apart from most of my damage (FA) not being physical and not so reliant on attack speed, I don't believe having this much MF is hurting me significantly unless I actually managed to get some half decent gear (which is why I'm so interested in running some bosses or something).

As for secondary attack, I'm working on Strafe as well (although I think I'll stop a few points off max). In nightmare I rarely run into any cold immunes, and If I do they generally get dismembered by my merc who is thankfully not completely useless (valk is shining a bit too).

I got lucky with a Tal's Mask drop on p3 durance3 off one of the unique council guards, so now I'm slowly but surely running chaos a bunch of times to get that pesky L67 so my merc can finally stand toe to toe with the big boys.

Once that is all out of the way I'll figure out the best area for me to do MF runs in NM again while I get my physical damage up to scratch (as well as merc armor) before moving on to Hell, if I don't decide to try early Pit runs anyway. I still don't like how tedious it is to work on getting a Ko or slightly higher...

IncGamers Member

I don't understand what you mean by dirt cheap runewords. All the +ED% body armor runewords require at least one medium rune which means hundreds of NM countess runs (knowing my track record, I decided to run up an Amn for Edge runeword back in normal...). Is p5 trav comparable to NM countess at all? I've never heard of them being good rune drops before.
    Well, the +ED% is really not helpful for you at this stage anyways so why bother with them? What I'm talking about is things like:

Insight for the merc (made in a decent polearm, keep upgrading as you find better bases),
    Black for the 40% crushing blow, will make boss fighting alot easier if combined with a 3s kite shield filled with perfect diamonds,
    Lore for the 30 lightres and +1 skill, which always comes in handy for elemental dmg chars,
    Melody, made in a amazon bow can boost your FA up to 6 skill lvls, runes are low-mid range. Not dirt cheap, but easy to get if dedicated,
    Treachery, both for you and merc, same as for melody with acessability,

Just like in hell, council runs in nm can give you alot of runes (and crafting material and gold to gamble for as well), even if hell countess or lk is by far better. In nm the council members can drop up to Um.
    You can probably be quite successful hunting those Ko and Um runes runes in LK nm as well, but not many spend any energy on it since if you can do the same in hell it's by far more rewarding.
    Last edited by khuzgan; 12-11-2013 at 13:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Nehpets View Post
    Yeah, I've got my trusty valkyrie (Also made a crappy spirit sword on switch for her. Can't hurt, right?). She is the only reason I managed to kill NM diablo in the first place.

Are any NM areas worth running and are comparable to slow meph runs? Diablo himself took somewhere between 20-30 minutes of dancing and potion slurping. I guess it's worth the grueling slog past Baal and into Hell Pit runs (if I can even do stuff like that)?

Anything is better than this

IncGamers Member

If you can get to Anya, you could run NM Pindle well with FA and a pinch of Pierce. Not sure if he has any goodies, but can be a solid way to grind some EXP safely. Also, Eldritch, can boost you quite fast.

IncGamers Member

I'm going to offer a little change of pace.

I don't know if you prefer to play untwinked or not, but if you're not against getting items from other characters, then I suggest doing what I did when I began my single player Diablo II career: build a sorceress.

She relies on her skills and not on her gear like many other character classes. She's also very versatile and you can run Mephisto, Pindleskin, and other areas with ease even with low equipment. Over time you'll start to pick up decent gear and magic find gear, and then you can start running Hell Mephisto and get even better gear and then in snowballs on from there. All my "wealth" has come from her. She's my main character, so she has had the most attention, but that's because she's the bread winner amongst my characters. I have found a lot of items that I plan on putting onto my necromancer, barbarian, and amazon.

That's not to say other character classes can't magic find or clear level 85 areas, but if you have next to nothing and are struggling with gear, I think she's a good solution.

If you prefer to keep on with your amazon, then there's plenty of good advice already offered in this thread. Good luck!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by khuzgan View Post
    Insight
    Yeah, I have Insight on my A2Might merc currently, planning to upgrade when I progress a little more.
    Black
    I thought A2 mercs could only use spear and polearm class, am I wrong?
    Lore
    I did'nt even think of hat runewords, thanks for that!
    Melody
    I think the hardest part is finding a suitably socketted +3 zon bow, but I'll have a look see.
    Treachery
    I guess the Fade is really excellent along with the IAS?

Just like in hell, council runs in nm can give you alot of runes (and crafting material and gold to gamble for as well), even if hell countess or lk is by far better. In nm the council members can drop up to Um.
    You can probably be quite successful hunting those Ko and Um runes runes in LK nm as well, but not many spend any energy on it since if you can do the same in hell it's by far more rewarding.
    I'll give it a good try, at the very least it's a fresh change from the same countess run over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by logoutzero
    If you can get to Anya, you could run NM Pindle well with FA and a pinch of Pierce. Not sure if he has any goodies, but can be a solid way to grind some EXP safely. Also, Eldritch, can boost you quite fast.
    Currently running Chaos Sanctuary on p5 (Without killing Diablo). The xp is great and I don't die as long as I'm quick with freezing the uglies.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthrone
    sorceress.
    Yeah, I am determined to keep my amazon self-sufficient. I don't know if anybody can relate, but letting a different character do all the MF'ing (and much easier too) then simply giving items to my zon seems like a betrayal to her. I want her to be able to do stuff on her own.