Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Exactly how does the cold shatter mechanics work?

When monsters are frozen solid, there is supposedly 100% chance for them to shatter upon death, and I recall reading somewhere that when they are chilled there is 20% of a shatter upon death, but is that really how it works? Or is there some other factor involved as well, such as cold dmg dealing the killing blow having a different chance than any other dmg type?

And regarding the order of effects, is chilled applied before or after a target takes the damage from an atack?

*looks expectantly in Onderduiders direction

IncGamers Member

Re: Exactly how does the cold shatter mechanics work?

Are you talking about this thread? http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...shatter-corpse

IncGamers Member

That could very well be the place I read it, it was a long time ago and I can't rally remember where I got it from I'm still inclined to take the information in the thread with a grain of salt since no testing was performed and no other source on the web seems to have any information on the matter, hence my original question if the mechanics reallt looks that way remain.

IncGamers Member

Monsters must have Cold Resist < 100% and < 0% chill effectiveness to be frozen or chilled, and they must be frozen or chilled for at least one frame after cold resistance (but before any difficulty level penalty) to shatter.

Normal and minion monsters are frozen by freeze length from skills or Freezes Target from items, and if they're killed while frozen they shatter 100% of the time, leaving no useable corpse. However, they still drop items. Champion, Unique, Super Unique and boss monsters are only chilled by freeze length or Freezes Target, and all are chilled by any cold length associated with cold damage.

According to RTB there is 20% chance of shattering upon death while chilled, and the results of the empirical tests I've done are consistent with that. Based on the confusion in the linked thread, I ran tests whose results indicated that this chance is not affected one way or another by target cold resistance and chill effectiveness (when not > 99% or -1% respectively), magnitude of cold damage or length, Crushing Blow (?), level difference or difficulty level.

For a definitive answer you'd need someone to look at the code itself, particularly for your later questions. It seems as though the monster being chilled at time of death determines whether it has a chance to shatter, regardless of whether the killing blow delivers any cold damage or length of its own. Since monsters can shatter even if cold damage is sufficient to kill them with a single hit, this suggests they're chilled before they're killed at least.