Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

General questions from a clueless new player

Hello all
    I'm a guy who played D2 a little bit back in the day, but I don't think I ever even beat the game on hell back then so I was obviously never a decent player anyway.

I've been playing SP, on /p8, for a couple of weeks now and I've got a lvl 55 sorc by now on A2 NM. I'm not really having any issues killing things but my survivability is extremely low, everything takes a good while since I must be so careful doing stuff if I want to survive. I haven't died more than a couple of times but I suspect that will change pretty soon if I don't change some stuff.

First of all, my resists are really down the dump, I think I have around 0 on average. I assume this is why i take so much damage, especially monster who omits lightning when they die are a huge problem, sometimes they almost one shots me. How do I get my resists up? Do I socket up a shield or armor with diamonds or are there something else to do, like getting a decent rune word? Right now I have crappy equipment apart from a SoJ and I guess a decent orb with some plusses to relevant skills.

Secondly I've been using PlugY for my muling, and after some reading here it doesn't seem to be a very well conceived program, and I should be using ATMA instead. Is there any decent way to transfer my stuff from the one program to the other? I've got a bunch of gems and runes i'd rather not lose.

IncGamers Member

Re: General questions from a clueless new player

Quote Originally Posted by kundvagn View Post
    Secondly I've been using PlugY for my muling, and after some reading here it doesn't seem to be a very well conceived program, and I should be using ATMA instead. Is there any decent way to transfer my stuff from the one program to the other? I've got a bunch of gems and runes i'd rather not lose.
    This forum is mostly for b.net realm players so you might not get much help here. Also I hate to say this, but using that mod is against the Single Player Forum (SPF) rules. If you mention it there you will probably either be banned or something along those lines. If you use it that is your business, but the SPF does not want it mentioned nor will they provide help for it. Also if you wish to MP or trade with anyone in the SPF you will need to do a complete restart from scratch by deleting those characters that have come into contact with that mod. They are that strict about this. PM Thyiad if you have any questions about this, please do not assume anything.

As for transferring the items to ATMA I suggest getting a fresh install of Diablo 2 without that mod. Then open the characters and transfer the gems over to a stash. I suggest using GoMule for easier transfer.

IncGamers Member

Thanks, I figured i'd be better off asking the the first part of my questions here since it is the newcomer forum after all. I didn't think asking for how to get rid of an unsupported mod was that serious, but I guess rules are rules.

Dont mind Ladvarian!

Youve come to the exact right place to ask such things!

A note though, before I give you my own tips, is regarding the PlugY mod/program.
    You wont get banned using it, unless you trade on the singleplayer trading forums. When you are using it, and just as Ladvarian says, if you want to trade there, you need to do a full restart of your characters. Deleting all chars and items stored on them.

Ive done some ladder practice for the upcoming ladder reset, that (hopefully) will happen soon!
    So Ive got tons of new fresh experience along with my usual knowledge of the game..

The best thing I could get at the start of the NM difficulty were 3 things.

Insight for my merc.
    Rhyme in a shield.
    Spirit Crystal/Broad sword.

That gave me the chance to respecc, removing 30-40 points in Energy and place those in Vitality instead. Almost infinite mana.
    Together with a swap of merc, to a Holy Freeze merc.

Rhyme, which I chose due to both its mf and resistances, gave me 25%@res and very nice block.

And the spirit, that gave me very needed fcr, fhr, and 2 skills.

With those 3 items, you can get lucky and find a Lum rune. But its not very likely to find one until later NM.. But you can always get lucky I guess.
    With a Lum, you can make the armor runeword called Smoke, which is a very cheap and common runeword to do for both characters and mercenaries in NM.
    That will give you nice defense bonuses (note the +def to missiles, which is huge) and 50%!! @res.

To farm for the bases for insight/spirit sword. Go to Normal Cows, and try find a bases for them. With the socket quest from Act5, you can punch 4 sockets in most polearms there. (Broadsword or crystalsword are the spirit bases you want.)

Also, always do the 4th quest in Act3 for 5 additional stat points. And the Anya quest in act5 for 10% @res.
    And the 2nd quest in Act 5 for the 3 runes, Ral+Ort+Tal. Which, if you place them in a 3 socket shield, will make the runeword Ancient Pledge.
    Which gives you something like 43Coldres, and 48% Fire/Light/Poison resist.

Let me know if you have anything else you need help with!

Peace

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archone View Post
    Youve come to the exact right place to ask such things!

Peace
    Wow, thats a bunch of great info right there, thanks a lot.

A couple of questions though:
    -fcr/fhr, what does that mean exactly? Just that you can cast spells and recover quicker? Sounds useful anyway.
    -I think I've killed the king on normal so thats a no go, where else can I find a shield/weapon with that many sockets? I haven't seen any with more than 1 or 2 I think.

Those rune words sounds like something I need. I have actually found a Lum already, and a Ko and Io as well, so I hope I can use them for something!

Quote Originally Posted by kundvagn View Post
    Thanks, I figured i'd be better off asking the the first part of my questions here since it is the newcomer forum after all. I didn't think asking for how to get rid of an unsupported mod was that serious, but I guess rules are rules.
    It isn't. They are just like a cult with a massive ego.

Since youre swedish, I can redommend this Danish site for info on breakpoints, runewords and set/unique items:
    http://diablo3x.dk/

fcr = faster cast rate
    fhr = faster hit recovery

You can read what that are here: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Breakpoints
    That link coveres everything you need to know about frames in d2!

You should be able to find socketable items throughout Nightmare aswell. By just playing!

IncGamers Member

Just wanted to tell ya'll that my sorc now has beaten Hell and has turned into a matriarch. The forums has been really helpful

Great!

Keep the questions going if you got any!

IncGamers Member

Thanks
    I'm going to do some MFing now with this character so I guess thats pretty straight forward. But i'm sure I'll have some questions sooner or later.

Funny thing btw, I had more problems with the guest monster quill rats than Baal and his friends or even the Ancients. Even the stupid merc survived both of those fights.