Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

I ran the Countess enough times to cube an Ohm

And it took me forever. I knew it would be a while, but it was longer than I expected, and I now have a new-found appreciation for the uselessness (at least in terms of cubing up) of low runes. I was desiring an Ohm because I wanted to make a Call to Arms (which I managed a fantastic roll - print out further down). I had the other runes waiting.

I know most people would say to run Lower Kurast for an Ohm or runes to cube one, but Lower Kurast has always rubbed me the wrong way. It's for sure a "me" problem; I'm not blaming the game. I just can't stay motivated to keep running it and coming up with absolutely nothing. At least with the Countess she placates me with Hels, Lums, and Fals. Some would suggest to pick up other things like gems, jewels, charms, etc. which is fine, but then your run times suffer. Plus I keep enough charms in my inventory that sometimes that becomes a nuisance. There's also the nice perk of leveling up my character while running Countess, even if it is not very much (though at level 89, I significant portion of my experience has come from Countess runs).

In any case, considering the drop-rate, I got a pretty decent haul given the number of runs I did. I did just over 1,000. I think about 1,050 would be the most accurate (I wasn't too accurate near the beginning of my mission). My average run time was ~1 minute, which includes cubing as I went (only up to Thul), resurrecting my mercenary when he died (didn't happen often), and trying to retrieve my body in the four times I died (once my fault, three times my Occulus' fault). In total, I think it took me just under 18 hours.

Here's my haul:

Amn: 139
    Sol: 94
    Shael: 84
    Dol: 53
    Hel: 52
    Io: 36
    Lum: 32
    Ko: 12
    Fal: 10
    Lem: 9
    Pul: 6
    Um: 5
    Mal: 5
    Ist: 3

I pick up everything, and cubed up to Thul as I went, so I'm not counting the lower ones since they're inaccurate. I ran about 20 more runs after getting my last Mal which completed my mission, just to fill up my inventory. After my first two hauls (empty stash and cube, and a 2x4 space in inventory) I was able to cube up to a Mal.

To make my life simpler, I wrote a script in JavaScript that parses the Flavie report from GoMule and fills in textboxes which then calculates what I can cube up to (it assumes you have the gems). I used this as I went to gauge my progress. It's very handy. Turned out nothing below Fal was even needed to make the Ohm (hence my appreciation for the uselessness of low runes).

After I got my Ohm, I started running cows to find a couple flails to put sockets into. Found a few pretty easily. Put in my runes and got the following:

Code:
    Call to Arms 
    Flail 
    AmnRalMalIstOhm 
    One Hand Damage: 3 - 85 
    Durability: 30 of 30 
    Required Level: 57 
    Required Strength: 41 
    Required Dexterity: 35 
    Fingerprint: 0x704abc8b 
    Item Level: 81 
    Version: Expansion 1.10+ 
    +1 to All Skills 
    +40% Increased Attack Speed 
    255% Enhanced Damage 
    +150% Damage to Undead 
    Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage 
    7% Life stolen per hit 
    Prevent Monster Heal 
    +6 to Battle Command 
    +6 to Battle Orders 
    +3 to Battle Cry 
    Replenish Life +12 
    30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    I nearly jumped for joy at the roll, and felt like it justified the time it took to get it.

I was contemplating making a Heart of the Oak, because I am getting very sick of the teleport on my Occulus, but I decided the Call to Arms was more versatile and I could use it with other characters - but my next target is a Heart of the Oak, which is awesome because I kept doing cow runs until I leveled and found this, so I'm almost there. I also have a couple flails waiting for socketing once I get what I want.

Thanks for reading!

Re: I ran the Countess enough times to cube an Ohm

Nice one, this SC or HC?
    Also, is your sorc full blizz?

Edit: Never mind. I read you died a couple times so obviously this is SC. I'm still interested in build though.
    Last edited by Gino; 07-11-2013 at 23:40.

Grats!

If you don't like LK I'm pretty sure Trav is the next best thing. A Blizz Sorceress can run it nicely. Runes, charms, facets, lots of XP. I would never suffer the pain of 17h of Countess (unless you are HC, if so I understand avoiding some more dangerous areas until your sorceress gains more levels).

If you are SC and aren't against HR rushing, it would have also have been a faster alternative for the Ohm.

Why the defiance mercenary on a Sorc? Did it help with the archer packs? (only dangerous foes in countess running imo, they gave some NDE with my old HC Hdin)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gino View Post
    Nice one, this SC or HC?
    Also, is your sorc full blizz?

Edit: Never mind. I read you died a couple times so obviously this is SC. I'm still interested in build though.
    Yeah definitely soft core. I don't have the patience to play hard core. My blood pressure rises high enough just dying now as it is . I could never imagine losing everything.

Skill-wise my sorceress is split between blizzard and charged bolt as her two primary skills, though ice blast is her "cool down" spell while blizzard waits. Originally she was orb and charged bolt, but I respecced her and shifted some of the skills over to blizzard because I kept reading that blizzard sorceresses are the best at running Mephisto, which is my all-time favourite thing to do. I actually don't find it that much faster than when I did it with orb (I had done it enough times that I could position myself pretty perfectly to get the nice damage bonus from it), but I've kept with it. I find it to be kind of buggy, actually. Sometimes it seems like it deals massive damage and other times it looks like it misses entirely. There's also a spot right where you fight Mephisto when he comes out "down" the stairs where if you corner him he doesn't take any damage from blizzard at all, so I made sure to lure him out into the open near the path to the portal to kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by nulio View Post
    Grats!

If you don't like LK I'm pretty sure Trav is the next best thing. A Blizz Sorceress can run it nicely. Runes, charms, facets, lots of XP. I would never suffer the pain of 17h of Countess (unless you are HC, if so I understand avoiding some more dangerous areas until your sorceress gains more levels).

If you are SC and aren't against HR rushing, it would have also have been a faster alternative for the Ohm.

Why the defiance mercenary on a Sorc? Did it help with the archer packs? (only dangerous foes in countess running imo, they gave some NDE with my old HC Hdin)
    Thanks!

I'm just going to get passed my issues with Lower Kurast and will probably run them from now on, but I'll take a look into the Council. They seem to be a fan-favourite of barbarians, I guess due to their horking ability.

I find that defiance makes the mercenary the ultimate tank because nothing can hit him. Originally my sorceress was made for Mephisto runs, and I remember reading somewhere that damage reduction is pointless on mercenaries against act bosses because they get such an insane damage bonus against them (I think it's something like 1000%), so the best way to prevent them from dying is to ensure they can't hit at all. Once the aura kicks in he can go toe-to-toe with Mephisto pretty easily or the Countess and her pack even if she spawns with might. While running her I put on an upped Shaftstop and a Vampiregaze and he's pretty much untouchable. With the aura his defence is about 11,300 and change. I'd like to up the Vampiregaze but it's the only one I have at the moment so I'm going to hold off.

Regarding the archers I actually find them to be non-factor most of the time. The only instances they were an annoyance was when a boss pack would spawn inside the room. Sometimes they were sprinkled amongst the Countess' pack but when I spotted them I just dropped a blizzard on them and they were gone. If they were next to me while my mercenary was fighting the Countess I would launch some ice blasts to freeze them while my charged bolt mopped up the Countess. Having an Oculus can be annoying with them, though, which caused a few of my deaths.

BattleTag TheNix-6417

A few years back I ran about 2000 Countess runs and the results were sort of the same until it got to the higher runes.

Amn: 324 (139)
    Sol: 204 (94)
    Shael: 189 (84)
    Dol: 97 (53)
    Hel: 96 (52)
    Io: 68 (36)
    Lum: 48 (32)
    Ko: 39 (12)
    Fal: 24 (10)
    Lem: 15 (9)
    Pul: 20 (6)
    Um: 6 (5)
    Mal: 4 (5)
    Ist: 9 (3)

So, a blizz sorc with charged bolt as second element?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNix View Post
    A few years back I ran about 2000 Countess runs and the results were sort of the same until it got to the higher runes.

Amn: 324 (139)
    Sol: 204 (94)
    Shael: 189 (84)
    Dol: 97 (53)
    Hel: 96 (52)
    Io: 68 (36)
    Lum: 48 (32)
    Ko: 39 (12)
    Fal: 24 (10)
    Lem: 15 (9)
    Pul: 20 (6)
    Um: 6 (5)
    Mal: 4 (5)
    Ist: 9 (3)
    Not bad! Were you running for anything in particular or just to run?

Quote Originally Posted by Gino View Post
    So, a blizz sorc with charged bolt as second element?
    Yup, pretty much.

BattleTag TheNix-6417

No, pretty much just for comparison. Here is the thread I wrote at the time:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...h-the-Countess

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthrone View Post
    I'm just going to get passed my issues with Lower Kurast and will probably run them from now on, but I'll take a look into the Council. They seem to be a fan-favourite of barbarians, I guess due to their horking ability.

I find that defiance makes the mercenary the ultimate tank because nothing can hit him. Originally my sorceress was made for Mephisto runs, and I remember reading somewhere that damage reduction is pointless on mercenaries against act bosses because they get such an insane damage bonus against them (I think it's something like 1000%), so the best way to prevent them from dying is to ensure they can't hit at all. Once the aura kicks in he can go toe-to-toe with Mephisto pretty easily or the Countess and her pack even if she spawns with might. While running her I put on an upped Shaftstop and a Vampiregaze and he's pretty much untouchable. With the aura his defence is about 11,300 and change. I'd like to up the Vampiregaze but it's the only one I have at the moment so I'm going to hold off.

A well-played Blizz Sorc can be as much or more efficient than a Barb running Trav (it will depend on the skill playing both). In the Lounge or show videos thread frozzzen posted a nice video of his blizzsorc running trav.

I find that weird because normally the mercenary is just something to help the sorc with his auras, and maybe just kill an immune monster you don't want to leave alive. The sorceress kills much faster than the merc. For example, versus mephisto you just use the moat trick and blizz him away if you feel it's too risky to kill him in another way.

With respecs you can make your sorc stronger by making her a full blizz one. She kills everything so fast. This if you want to run as fast as you can ofc.

I did this a while back for a hardcore javazon and vowed never to do it again. I'm pretty sure LK would be just as fast on a good map, and there's always the possibility a Ber falls. Three of those, and look out.

(I've actually gotten a Ber during a countess run, but it was just fluke luck)