Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Question the Search for Cain - "You cannot complete this quest in this game..."

So I complete quests in Act I and can proceed to Act II but I travel back because I wanna finish the first Act first.
    I kill Blood Raven and then Search for Cain reveals, I talk to the fella, and then when I click the quest square to read instructions, it says " you cannot complete this quest in this game, you can complete it by creating a new game"
    What gives? I really wanna do things by order, haha.
    By the way, I guess that starting a character is non-negotiable whether or not it starts in Normal. But, say, after I complete the last quest in the game, how do you move to Nightmare-Hell ? And while on the subject of repetition, can I re-run bosses in the difficulty I'm in? Or is that just endgame?

Thank you a lot in advance. D2 ftw.

EDIT: Oh, and halfway through the first Act I converted my character to an expansion character so there is that. (Don't know if this is related, I'm a noob)

Re: the Search for Cain - "You cannot complete this quest in this game..."

Well, you should visit the wiki/wikia or arreat summit and read the basics of the game I think!

Anyhow, the answers to your questions!

You cant complete the Cain quest, if you travel to act2. Simply put, because hes a part of your whole adventure, and will accompany you through the whole game.
    You need to complete the quest before entering act2 or just create a new game before you interract with him. (and then do the quest)

*Note that you can move back and forth between the acts, doing quests as you wish. Normally anyways.
    As long as youve completed the stages necessary to travel to the next act ofc.

You can rerun areas as you wish. But to make a boss respawn, an area, or chests etc. you need to create a new game.

You choose what difficulty to enter when you create a game.
    The option to choose will appear once youve completed the last quest in act 4 (Diablo in classic) or act5 (Baal in the expansion).

Endgame is also the Uber quest, the Pandamonium Event! Check that out!

Peace

Once act2 is activated, cain is "rescued" by the rogues, so you cannot rescue him anymore in that game.
    If creating a new game in act1 does not give you this option, start anew, or proceed without rescuing him for this time.

Once you complete the last quest in the game, you get a title screen, giving you a rank next to your name,
    and you'll be placed in the chat lobby.
    When you join a game, you'll always join the highest difficulty your character can get in
    (except if you know the exact name of a game in a lower difficulty)
    When you create a game, you'll have the option of selecting the difficulty (under gamename etc)

Every time you create a new game, all monsters are alive and can be killed (again)
    Endgame just gives you the right to create new games in any difficulty and kill any monsters repeatedly.

Converting your character to expansion will be felt if you advance later in the game.
    (D2 only has 4 acts, D2X has 5 acts, and thus 6 more quests, converting later in the game will shift the done quests)
    eg:
    - all D2 quests are done up to nightmare act 1 quest 5
    - you convert your character from D2 to D2X
    - all D2X quests are done up to normal act5 quest 5

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmaster View Post
    Once you complete the last quest in the game, you get a title screen, giving you a rank next to your name,
    and you'll be placed in the chat lobby.
    When you join a game, you'll always join the highest difficulty your character can get in
    (except if you know the exact name of a game in a lower difficulty)
    When you create a game, you'll have the option of selecting the difficulty (under gamename etc)
    For some reason I thought he was playing SP, but this info is Bnet oriented.

Actually, come to think of it, he never specifies whether he plays SP or Bnet ^^