Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frozen Orb vs. Blizzard

I'm stuck between the two. Frozen Orb is more accurate (I think) and Blizzard is more damaging. So I don't know...

Re: Frozen Orb vs. Blizzard

Imo, and to make it short.

FO greatest advantage, is the dmg it can do with only 60 skillpoints.
    Then you can have another element, or max something else like Telekinesis for ES, or Warmth etc..

Blizzard though, requires alot of points, and wont be maxed out until youre 90+ somewhere. It does more damage, but wont allow you to grab another powerful skill. You wont do as much dmg as a FO sorc if you do.

IncGamers Member

I've never even gone so high as 60 skillpoints for Frozen Orb. The skill is fine without points into Ice Bolt And in general, I don't play caster sorcs very much (I prefer Enchantresses). But from what I've seen...

Triple tree: Frozen Orb is the only real option.

Dual tree (focusing on cold damage): Blizzard, partially synergized. A skill from another tree is used as backup.

Dual tree (focusing on fire or lightning, with cold as the backup): Frozen Orb is a nice backup for immune monsters. A partially synergized spell from another tree (Meteor or Lightning usually) is the primary damage source.

Single tree: Blizzard. Spam Glacial Spike while Blizzard is killing everything. Don't bother with Frozen Orb.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Namtar View Post
    ...Spam Glacial Spike while Blizzard is killing everything...
    Ice Blast has roughly twice as much damage for the average Blizzsorc (though GS has better crowd control). But for picking off the 2-3 monsters that Blizzard will miss, Ice Blast is often the better support skill.

Back to the original question, I prefer Frozen Orb for the same number of skill points invested (up until about ~45), but of course Blizzard's superior damage really starts to shine with more & more skill points.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by uglyfred View Post
    Ice Blast has roughly twice as much damage for the average Blizzsorc (though GS has better crowd control). But for picking off the 2-3 monsters that Blizzard will miss, Ice Blast is often the better support skill.
    I'm a bit puzzled that you'd dismiss Glacial Spike with a sentence in which your parenthetical statement notes just why it's a good skill to use alongside Blizzard. I could respond, "But Glacial Spike is good to stop monsters from reaching you, giving Blizzard a chance to kill them." But I get the impression, based on what you said, that you already know this.

I'd have hotkeys for both Glacial Spike and Ice Blast, and it was my impression that all Blizzard sorcs had hotkeys for both.

Usually, my blizz is far more effective, that the GS would be effective.

I mean, how many targets will survive? If leaving the area of the blizzard at all?
    I use Ice Blast for 3 reasons.

Its the mainskill for a soon-to-be blizz sorc.
    Its dmg output is ridiculous at early levels.
    It freezes.

So why use a spell that freezes in a splash radius, when you kill everything faster with a high dmg singletarget spell?

IncGamers Member

Imo the only reason to get FO is when your cold tree is a secondary damage dealer and you can only spare 20 points for it + 1 CM + prereqs.
    Otherwise get blizzard. It's much better.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Tougeznut-1970

If you make a toon to do rushes for other people, then FO is by far the superior choice IMO. It covers such a large area compared to blizzard. End game damage wise, blizzard is way better though.

sent from my GalaxySIII

Quote Originally Posted by tougeznut View Post
    If you make a toon to do rushes for other people, then FO is by far the superior choice IMO. It covers such a large area compared to blizzard. End game damage wise, blizzard is way better though.

sent from my GalaxySIII
    Yeah. I agree, skill design wise. FO hits alot more targets, so if it still kills in nrml+nm, then its perfect there.

Did you know that prior to the expansion that Blizzard used to have a duration that increased with skill points? It also didn't have a timer, so you could stack them in place and do massive damage. /* mumbles something about a giant enemy crab */

I prefer FO, but only because it rewards aiming. And by rewards aiming, I mean that if you aim it right things die *really* fast. But after 80 skill points and +10 to ice skills, Blizzard will also do that without aiming, so you'd better pick Blizzard!

Quote Originally Posted by Namtar View Post
    I'm a bit puzzled that you'd dismiss Glacial Spike with a sentence in which your parenthetical statement notes just why it's a good skill to use alongside Blizzard. I could respond, "But Glacial Spike is good to stop monsters from reaching you, giving Blizzard a chance to kill them." But I get the impression, based on what you said, that you already know this.

I'd have hotkeys for both Glacial Spike and Ice Blast, and it was my impression that all Blizzard sorcs had hotkeys for both.
    GS doesn't need a hotkey; it should live on the left mouse button spot. OTOH, you need the keys for Blizzard and IB close by, so you can always interpose Ice Blasts between Blizzard's timer. You know, unless you're one of those types of people who spam GS in between Blizzards - then you should be shunned!