Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smiter: HoZ vs. Exile

Debate thread on which is better and why?

Re: Smiter: HoZ vs. Exile

In which situation?

Herald of Zakarum
    Gilded Shield
    http://d2x.diablo3x.dk/images/items/invpa4.gif

Shield Class
    Defence: 422.5-507
    Paladin Chance To Block: 75%
    Durability: 50
    Required Strength: 89
    Smite Damage: 20-28
    (Paladin Only)
    Required Level: 42

+2 to Combat Skill (Paladin only)
    +2 to Paladin skill levels
    +30% Faster Block Rate
    Increased Chance of Blocking 30%
    20% Bonus to Attack Rating
    +150-200% Enhanced Defense
    +20 to Strength
    +20 to Vitality
    +50% All Resistances

Exile
    Paladin Item
    Required Level: 57

Vex + Ohm + Ist + Dol

15% Chance to Cast Level 5 Life Tap on Striking
    Level 13-16 Defiance Aura When Equipped
    +2 to Offensive Auras (Paladin only)
    +30% Faster Block Rate
    +1 Freezes target
    +220-260% Enhanced Defense
    +7 Replenish Life
    +5% to Maximum Cold Resist
    +5% to Maximum Fire Resist
    Better Chance of Getting Magic Items 25%
    Repairs 1 durability in 4 seconds

(Sry for the double post, but I could edit properly!)

Why start a debate about something, when the 2 shields are so different?

Look for yourself!

Whoa, never noticed.

HoZ is better for a Smiter [It has to be Uped Ber'd HoZ]:

Best overall for PvP [watch out for high Ar Barbs and all high Ar melee Chars] only in that case you will need the Defense from Exile, and not only from Exile, but from CoA and even Eth Treks, im telling you if you dont have 40 k Defense agains those guys, you will get slapped pretty bad.

HoZ:

1) 4 Skills more
    2) More Shield Damage [Less gap between min and max Damage as well]
    3) Better block
    4) More Res
    5) Bonus to Ar
    6) Str, Life

Exile:

1) Life Tap ... ok can be crucial for Pvp, but don't forget most duels are endet in 2-3 hits, specialy if you face High Ar Barb or Good Smiter,so the chance to tap is not very high, but definitly can safe your *** at least for a while LoL
    2) Huge Defense, like i said above in which cases u will need the Defense.

Forgot to add that if you use Vortex Exile on Smiter you are screwed, people who knows what im talking about wont ask me why ...

AND for PvP Exile goes with CoA, because you will f*ck up ur DR if you remove Hoz, which means you will screw your skills and life and mana even further.

EdiT: If you play PvM, i would stick with Exile, the chance to die is less, and if you do Ubers i would definitly stick with Exile too!
    Last edited by Benkovsky; 21-11-2013 at 02:38.

What about those who don't know what you're talking about with vortex exile?

Quote Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
    What about those who don't know what you're talking about with vortex exile?
    ST has better chance to block (60%) and with Vortex (51%) you wont have max block with it unless you put like 20 points into dex to cover up the 10% differense, which is a big Hp loss and the Diff is like 4-5k def and thats just for 1 type of dueling, in general you lose life against all types of charakters if u do that, which doesnt worth it....you follow me

EDIT: If you don't have max block as a smier against barbs you fail harder then a fat guy on a diet.
    Last edited by Benkovsky; 26-11-2013 at 03:56.

IncGamers Member

I feel it is worth noting that Life Tap is considered bad mannered in almost every duel anyways. I SAID ALMOST, RELAX.

But in general, it really is a toss up that REALLY depends on the rest of your gear.

Exiles' biggest bonuses (really its only ones over HoZ in my opinion) is the Life Tap and the Defiance aura. An Exile wearing Paladin debatably has the greatest overall defense in the game, rivaled only by a Concentrate Barbarian. It is pretty easy to get over 20k defense with an Exile, maxed Holy Shield, and a big armor with other decent defense elsewhere.

However, as far as general mods go, HoZ wins ten times over in my book. Too many good mods to count. The only drawback is the need to use either a Last Wish, Dracul's Grasp, or Life Tap wand during Ubers and sometimes D Clone (though I have beaten D Clone with a caster before.)

An upped HoZ, while doing less maximum damage than a Vortex shield, has a tighter min/max damage ratio, which is preferable to many including myself. As far as needing Life Tap, I'd pick Last Wish over Grief any day for Ubers since it gives you all the CB you need as well as Life Tap, Fade, and a Might aura for anyone else you may be playing with. The few extra seconds it takes to finish them off is pretty negligible if you ask me considering a decent Smiter setup that can afford a Last Wish should be virtually invincible in Tristram once Tap triggers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonautical View Post
    I feel it is worth noting that Life Tap is considered bad mannered in almost every duel anyways. I SAID ALMOST, RELAX.

But in general, it really is a toss up that REALLY depends on the rest of your gear.

Exiles' biggest bonuses (really its only ones over HoZ in my opinion) is the Life Tap and the Defiance aura. An Exile wearing Paladin debatably has the greatest overall defense in the game, rivaled only by a Concentrate Barbarian. It is pretty easy to get over 20k defense with an Exile, maxed Holy Shield, and a big armor with other decent defense elsewhere.

However, as far as general mods go, HoZ wins ten times over in my book. Too many good mods to count. The only drawback is the need to use either a Last Wish, Dracul's Grasp, or Life Tap wand during Ubers and sometimes D Clone (though I have beaten D Clone with a caster before.)

An upped HoZ, while doing less maximum damage than a Vortex shield, has a tighter min/max damage ratio, which is preferable to many including myself. As far as needing Life Tap, I'd pick Last Wish over Grief any day for Ubers since it gives you all the CB you need as well as Life Tap, Fade, and a Might aura for anyone else you may be playing with. The few extra seconds it takes to finish them off is pretty negligible if you ask me considering a decent Smiter setup that can afford a Last Wish should be virtually invincible in Tristram once Tap triggers anyway.
    I agree with most everything you said, but i disagree with that:

1st. with Exile you should get over 30k Defense, if you dont, you are doing something terribly wrong.
    2nd. Just put on Goblin toe + 10CB Gloves + Exile + Grief and use Treachery to Fade and you will kill alot faster, true that with Last Wish you could be safer, but only if u could hit the last breakpoint, considering you are talking about Smite with Last Wish you wont be able to do so (forced to use highlords and 20 ias gloves on top of ur Fana), therefore the chance to tap is reduced, and your safty is reduced too.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Benkovsky View Post
    I agree with most everything you said, but i disagree with that:

1st. with Exile you should get over 30k Defense, if you dont, you are doing something terribly wrong.
    2nd. Just put on Goblin toe + 10CB Gloves + Exile + Grief and use Treachery to Fade and you will kill alot faster, true that with Last Wish you could be safer, but only if u could hit the last breakpoint, considering you are talking about Smite with Last Wish you wont be able to do so (forced to use highlords and 20 ias gloves on top of ur Fana), therefore the chance to tap is reduced, and your safty is reduced too.
    Yeah by easy I meant this is like a minimum with virtually the lowest defense setup on other gear. Non-upped items and maybe normal to exceptional runeword armors, etc. Even with that 20k should be cake, but since most Paladins rocking an Exile would have things like Crown of Ages, a nice elite Archon Plate armor and other high-defense goodies, 30k or much more is very attainable.

I disagree that hitting the last breakpoint is a must. With a Smiter that used only Griswold's set, Dwarf Star/Raven Frost/Thundergod's for absorb, Drac's and not-quite max resists before Conviction, I have survived without much trouble in UT without getting to that last point.

Having used a Last Wish PB with much better gear and still not hitting the last BP (opting for Mara's over Highlord's and Steelrend's over IAS gloves) I have survived with ease with the base IAS and Fanaticism alone. AS safe? Obviously not, but to say you are ONLY safer with 40% off-weapon IAS added to Fana I think is a bit of a stretch.

(Note: Steelrend's was used as an experiment at one point to tested any added damage and to get closer to 100% CB. It wasn't my main pick usually and I DID go with IAS gloves any other time. But again, I don't think that hit the last BP either if I remember correctly, and I did okay.)