Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Re: [OT]Dueling game test

Randomizer said it's Jcakes vs Bad Ash. Which means Bad Ash wins.

Goryani can't damage Bad Ash no matter what, thus, Bad Ash wins as the last man standing.

Congratulations Bad Ash.

Initially I wanted this to be a test for a mechanic for my upcoming Spartacus inspired game. But after I did a bit of thinking, I realized this could actually be a game itself, which we could play alongside the mafia games.

While there's not much scum hunting or anything similar to it, it still has it's interesting parts, mostly alliances, backstabbing and a lot of planing ahead.

So, I'd like us all to work together to find a setup that works and that we could all play regularly.

A few thoughts I had:
    1. Every player gets (number of players + 2) cards with random stats to play on whomever they want instead of votes
    2. More cards are available (not sure about the number yet) and trading is allowed (this one came from Gwaihir)
    3. Private voting allows everyone to cast a significant vote, no matter their time zone or real life affairs
    4. Find some way of encouraging posting in the thread, rather that QTs / PMs
    5. Should alliances be allowed? Should the game start free for all or 2/3 teams?
    6. Should communication outside of the thread be allowed?
    7. Better reward system?
    8. Gwaihir suggested starting stats be 1 / 0 / 1. Should we allow every player to allocate their stats?

I'd like to hear all your thoughts on this.

I think the 24hr day + plurality vote system is..... not good. I forget who first said it, but the game comes down to who can avoid voting till the last second. BA picked up an easy win duel with one vote that effectively sealed the game. This could change substantially if a certain minimum is needed to enter into a duel but I'm not sure how to decide on or enforce that certain minimum.

I'm not sure I'm in favor of completely private voting. It helps with the above but it also hides too much information. Maybe have a running vote tally but hide the voter names? But even that weakens early voters/votes.

I don't think the AEIOU system is ideal. Better to have a "random role PM" than one chosen because of your name.

The combo of base stats + stats given via votes is more confusing than it should be. Cards in place of stat giving votes will help.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderCat View Post
    5. Should alliances be allowed? Should the game start free for all or 2/3 teams?
    The survivor thing doesn't interest me much. I'd like to see a mafia-ish setup like uninformed townies vs informed mafia. Time to find the townies! A Game of Thrones style of mafia vs mafia vs mafia vs... is also intriguing.

1. Every player gets (number of players + 2) cards with random stats to play on whomever they want instead of votes
    2. More cards are available (not sure about the number yet) and trading is allowed (this one came from Gwaihir)
    Thumbs up to cards and trading of cards. You'll have to limit trades in the case of teams or town vs mafia as everyone will give all cards to the player doing the dueling. Cards shouldn't be as powerful as items, in my opinion, since everyone can get/give cards while items are only for you and for winning duels.

8. Gwaihir suggested starting stats be 1 / 0 / 1.
    The defense stat is boss. Like physical damage reduction in DII, it appears laughable in small numbers but doesn't take much to become effectively invincible. Most fights avoided all the randomization because of very high defense values. Either the defense stat needs to come in lower numbers or a different formula needs to be used. Starting with 0 defense is a help (and needed, I think) but the max defense of items needs to be lower than the average offense.

Should we allow every player to allocate their stats?
    Give everyone X points at the beginning to allocate as they wished? I like it.

3. Private voting allows everyone to cast a significant vote, no matter their time zone or real life affairs
    7. Better reward system?
    8. Gwaihir suggested starting stats be 1 / 0 / 1. Should we allow every player to allocate their stats?
    1. Love the cards idea. Think it sounds like fun.
    2. Maybe the winner of the duel gets 3 cards to give out (and one to keep themselves?) and the loser gets one to give out? Random suggestions.

3. I am not a fan of private voting, but if it leads to people getting their vote in as opposed to not voting, then I would change my stance on it.

4. What if there was a vote to remove a player via lynch on top of selecting two people to duel?

5. I think it would be more fun to start with designated teams and/or a group of scum. Throw in a lynch vote as well and you have an interesting mechanic of the mafia trying to boost their stats without making it painstakingly obvious that they are connected.

6. I say no unless the groups are pre-determined. Could change my mind on this though.

7. Maybe keep the "item" or "card" as a reward but give someone the option of using it or not. Maybe if they win a duel with no items they get a lvl 1 item. The next duel they have a choice to go in "naked" or equip the item. If they equip the item it's destroyed but they get a lvl 2 item or something like that idk.

8. Love the idea of allocating stats. What if you gave everyone 1 or 2 for each start of day as well. You survived so you leveled up and you get another point stat. Would have to be made public where people allocated though IMO. I think this would make it much more balanced too as opposed to vowels or consonants.

What might be cool is if say you have 12 people. Using a random number generator you select four captains who then rank every player 1-11 and they end up with a secret, 3 person drafted team.

BattleTag Jcakes-6373

The only other thing I'd say is that I'd prefer normal mafia start / end time. I think that ends up being a time that nearly everyone can be around at days end. The time that it finished in this game was super awkward for me.
    Trollin', trollin', trollin'
    through the forums scrollin'
    Keep those comments flowin', DON'T HIDE!

Initially I wanted this to be a test for a mechanic for my upcoming Spartacus inspired game. But after I did a bit of thinking, I realized this could actually be a game itself, which we could play alongside the mafia games.

While there's not much scum hunting or anything similar to it, it still has it's interesting parts, mostly alliances, backstabbing and a lot of planing ahead.

So, I'd like us all to work together to find a setup that works and that we could all play regularly.

A few thoughts I had:
    7. Better reward system?

I'd like to hear all your thoughts on this.
    1) I really like the cards idea. Would be fun to figure out when to use them.
    3) I really can't see a way around this.
    4/5) I think the inclusion of a mafia into this would be way more fun that the survivor method, at least for me. I am not a huge fan of the reality tv aspect of alliance forming.

I like the captain idea.

What if you we use the school yard method? Where a number of captains are chosen and they "flip coins" to choose their teams members.

I don't really think turning this into a mafia game is ideal if we want this to be a regular thing. As that would mean we have two mafia games running at the same time. What we could do is introduce a SK into the equation and a lynch mechanic.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

OK - Just found this so I'm going to pee on it so I can find it again.

Can I get a Cavin peeing marker Smiley?