Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Question about Smiter vs. Whirly Barb?

My friends always say to Smite in one place in order to beat a Whirly Barb? When I do, I always win. But I don't understand why. Please help me understand... Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IncGamers Member

Re: Question about Smiter vs. Whirly Barb?

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Dude View Post
    My friends always say to Smite in one place in order to beat a Whirly Barb? When I do, I always win. But I don't understand why. Please help me understand... Thanks in advance.
    It really depends on the circumstances, but generally speaking:The game runs on 60 frames/pictures pr. second. Sufficient for making everything smooth. When a character an attempt to land an attack, there is a single frame where the game will check if the attack landed or not. This is called the action frame.There are several important frames, e.g. the frame where you launch your attack is before the striking frame, hence there's a timespan from you launch your attack until the game calculates if your hit lands. This timespan depends on your attacking speed, but it's never zero. If you're still within range at the time of the action frame, smite will hit, else it'll miss.When using shift + attack, the attack will make a hit-attempt if the target is in range on the frame where the game calculates for this. Since the Barbarian cannot whirlwind through you faster than you can take several swings, you're guaranteed a fair trade of blows with the Barbarian.When not holding shift, the character will first get into range, then try to make the attack. Making an attack forces the character to stand still, but whirlwind will still move away. Therefore on the action frame, the barbarian might have left the range of your attack, despite he was within it when you initialized your attack. This means that the Barbarian will hit you, and you won't hit him.It does not help to use run in stead of walk, because when running, your defense is zero and blocking is a third of your normal blocking, making you more fragile to his attacks, and you risk going into hit recovery before getting in range.It does help to increase your r/w speed to a point where you're sufficiently faster than the Barbarian that him moving away won't matter, but it's generally not considered worthwhile to invest in this department when stuff like hit points, damage, speed should be the focus of your attention.There's the problem that a skilled whirlwinder can clip at the outmost part of your attacking range, barely being in range, but long enough for an attacking check from his part, not long enough for you to attack. This form of clipping is devastating if all you do is shift-smiting and hope for the Barbarian to smite through you. Usually the best counter is to use teleport smiting, but it's very difficult to master in my experience.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
    It really depends on the circumstances, but generally speaking:The game runs on 60 frames/pictures pr. second.
    It most certainly does not.

IncGamers Member

If you're speaking about "frames" as measure of time in 2d games (starcraft, diablo etc), then it is 25frames/second for diablo2. The game also refreshes the screen at speed limited by CPU, thus not fixed.

If you have the same range or longer, than the ww barb, youll autohit him if you shift+click spam smite.

So michaeld do have some points there. Its just frustrating to read a whole wall of text, when only a few lines wouldve been enough!