Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Internet connection keeps dropping periodically

Hai all,

Well, I thought I'd pick up D3, but I seem to have a problem with my internet connection. It drops every 5-15 minutes or so, for about 10-20 seconds. Not only does this ruin my D3 gameplay, but it also makes Skype a big hassle (hence I'm posting this in the OT forum). I've tried the following to fix it:

- Turned the router off for a minute (while the laptop was switched off)
    - Disabled Windows Firewall
    - Changed my mobility settings, so that it doesn't switch off the network adapter to save power
    - Updated my network drivers
    - Refreshed my IP (ipconfig/release; ipconfig/renew)
    - Uninstalled the network adapter, and then rebooted so that it is re-installed

Unfortunately, nothing seems to work. No one else in the household seems to have a problem with the dropouts, but then again they don't use Skype or play online.

Does anyone have any idea whatsoever what else I can do to solve this problem? Thanks in advance for your time!

Re: Internet connection keeps dropping periodically

A quick test you can do is to bypass the router. Just grab a laptop (or desktop if one is close enough), take the cord that goes into the "internet" port on your router and plug that into your computer. Power off the router just to avoid any potential hassle with being connected to it wirelessly or something. The idea here is to connect at or as close to the dmark as possible. (That is the point where your network becomes the ISP's network.)

If it works fine, safe bet that the problem is local. Something wrong with your computer, your network, PEBCAK error, whatever. If it still doesn't work right, safe bet that your ISP needs to get involved.

EDIT: Just a quick note, if your ISP does something silly like assign all their customers static IPs or does MAC address filtering or something, you'll get nothing at all. If this is the case, they probably consider the router part of their network and you'll have to call them anyway.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Also try to start the task manager (crtl-shift-esc) and then the resource manager (button in the performance tab or so), to check the network activity. Perhaps something is using up all bandwidth for some nonsense from time to time.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Did you turn it off and On?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arkardo View Post
    No one else in the household seems to have a problem with the dropouts, but then again they don't use Skype or play online.
    If you're not wireless, have you tried moving your computer to a different phone jack? The wiring where I live is decades old, and I needed technicians to come in twice. My problem was exactly the same as yours because of ancient faulty wiring in these old houses.

Thanks for all the replies!

I've tried playing D3 while directly connected to the router, and I've had only one disconnect in ~2 hours. It's hard to draw conclusions from this, as I've had similar experiences before. Still, this is about the best performance I've had so far while playing D3, especially considering the lack of lag that I also occasionally get.

I'll keep that resource monitor up, in case I get another disconnect. The house I live in was build around 10 years ago, so the wiring should still be ok, right?

I would guess this particular disconnect was caused by something else, and that the problem is local. Btw, how frequent are random disconnects (from Blizzard's side) still happen these days?

Well, went back to playing connected normally (not directly to the router), and the disconnects are back full force. The resource monitor shows that there barely is any network activity, so that's not the problem. Any idea's on what I could do to fix this? :S

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

You mean you are not directly connected to the network port of the modem, right? That means, the router is the device which is between the computer and the modem, probably having a builtin switch as well. If you aren't sure, what's the name of that device?

Whatever, it's probably that thing which is causing problems. Try hooking up a different computer to it and check for drops as well.

Posting #2^15!
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

If you're normally wireless between your laptop and your router, it's also possible you've just got a simple case of bad signal strength and/or interference. Signal strength would be a question of how far you are from the router, how many walls are between you and it, what are they made of, that sort of thing. Usually fixed by repositioning your stuff or getting a range extender of some kind.

Interference is a question of what other wireless devices are filling your house with mind control radio waves. First, get a tinfoil hat. Then check to see if there are other wireless networks in your area. Just open the list of wireless networks that your computer can see, usually done by clicking on the little wireless network icon down by the clock on the task bar. If there are other networks around, like the neighbor's, they can potentially cause problems if they are on the same channel as yours. It's also possible if you're in a densely populated area that your band is saturated with other networks, in which case the better solution is getting a dual band router.

Other things to look for is cordless phones and baby monitors. Some of them operate on the same frequency as typical household wireless networks. A microwave or treadmill between you and the router can also cause problems.

Or you could ignore all that and just run a really long network cord across the floor for people to trip on.

I'm always connected by cable, so that can't be the problem. I've even changed the wireless network adapter settings, so that it doesn't check for networks or do any other evil stuff that may cause the connection to drop. During the testing, I was connected directly to the router (a WGRT04).

I do have another laptop, a very old one, with Windows XP. Is there some option or software that records the internet connection or something?

I'm seriously starting to consider that long network cord...