Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Why do demons in Diablo speak english (or the same language as humans)?

I, Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, The God, declare that demons and and angels alike should speak Latin! As The God does!

Anyone remembers D2:LoD? Divine pun - it is Disciples 2, Legions of the Damned! But same applies to Disciples 1 - both being a very good games, second better than first, neat expansions, cool voice-acting, with a very disappointing 3rd installment...

Anyhow, Legion heroes spoke in Latin, as all proper demons do, and it was a joy to divine ears just to listen them! So much better than artificial languages (Klingon, Elvish, Orcish, Dotraki).

Latin is a way to go, a game-language of the future, for all ultimate game beings - foes and allies alike! Spoken properly, with subtitles, and not by Justin Bieber with reverb!

Face the divine truth - Latin is superior!

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azzure View Post
    Wouldn't it be more immersive if demons, such as Diablo, azmodan, belial etc didn't speak english, but rather some made up demonic tongue, perhaps similar to latin or Aramaic, and put subtitles in english so the player knows what they are saying?
    Funny question.

When addressing humans, they speak their language because they want to be understood. Something like "Not even death can save you from me" certainly inspires more fear than "Ugluk dra mamsicli rumptu grurur". When being among themselves, you could as well let them speak English and show a "dubbed" subtitle. It doesn't really make sense, however, so it's left out.

The problem is probably more one of the painful and partly embarrassing shallowness of the villains' speech passages, not of the choice of language.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    When addressing humans, they speak their language because they want to be understood. Something like "Not even death can save you from me" certainly inspires more fear than "Ugluk dra mamsicli rumptu grurur".
    Are you factoring in that "Ugluk dra mamsicli rumptu grurur". would be said in a really deep synthesizer voice with a lot or reverb and echo? Because that makes the monster voices in D3 that much scarier...
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

BattleTag Ignatius-1870

The game would have been made much better if Azmodan just popped up and gurgled at you every few minutes. At least that way it wouldn't be so obvious how dumb he was.

I, Clavdivs, The God, state that "Not even death can save you from me" can not become scary or atmospheric in any possible scenario - it's a badly formulated sentence, and surely not memorable as legendary Blizzard unit/boss quotes from past games.

[The God is a writer, though mainly of history books, and in his native Latin, but nevertheless]

What's wrong with the sentence? Well, everything - starting with 'not even' virtually calls for reply such as 'as if', 'yeah-huh', 'can too' - but, sadly, that is general level of dialogue quality in D3. The art of words and sounds is lost in decadence of last 10 years. Hopefully, it will be rediscovered and reimplemented in expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Clavdivs View Post
    I, Clavdivs, The God, state that "Not even death can save you from me" can not become scary or atmospheric in any possible scenario - it's a badly formulated sentence, and surely not memorable as legendary Blizzard unit/boss quotes from past games.

[The God is a writer, though mainly of history books, and in his native Latin, but nevertheless]

What's wrong with the sentence? Well, everything - starting with 'not even' virtually calls for reply such as 'as if', 'yeah-huh', 'can too' - but, sadly, that is general level of dialogue quality in D3. The art of words and sounds is lost in decadence of last 10 years. Hopefully, it will be rediscovered and reimplemented in expansion.
    Is any amount of post-processing and voice acting going to scare anyone? Is it anymore atmospheric when some giant, red lizard uses proper English to tell you that he's going to take your lunch money, despite you slaying the previous 4 acts of monsters and the seal bosses? Are subtitles immersive? Does anyone really care about these aspects?

I have to doubt it. These games are all about mashing monsters, and the weak points show up whenever something shows up that's not immediately about mashing more monsters, so you might as well make it short and sweet, with the least amount of friction, and that's all exactly what's been delivered in the Diablo series. Even the game lore gets in the way and Blizzard isn't hesitant about leaving loose ends and knots in the story to sate everyone's bloodlust.

"Not even death can save you from me"

What's wrong with the sentence? Well, everything - starting with 'not even' virtually calls for reply such as 'as if', 'yeah-huh', 'can too' - but, sadly, that is general level of dialogue quality in D3.
    That's what it's supposed to do. You're supposed to say, "Well, let's see about that!" and then drop 10 Meteors on his head.

And the expansion only reinforces this - Baal laughs his face off in front of you for like 5 minutes before you get to go flatten him.

I, Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, The God, state that divine post has been misinterpreted completely! The God, being fearless, is naturally no target group for scaring, but nevertheless - a great number of games, too numerous to even mention, succeeded in creating appropriate atmosphere of player being where he shouldn't be, with potentially bad ending. Apart for 'bad ending' being non-existent in D3 (apart from HC), end bosses are weak and generally unable to do player any harm (except Belial, to some extent).

This means that boss-fights are conceptually wrong - each should present a challenge and give reward. An example is Arreat fight - no TP, no repairing, decent chances to die (lose experience) and have to do it again. And other games have it much better, the kind where player stacks everything he got and breaths deeply before starting the encounter.

Divine being wasn't, of course, referring to D2:LoD as the example of how bosses should act ingame - plenty of games had far better boss-fights, with atmospheric music and voice-acting. As an example of good voice acting, The God will mention WC3 - some quotes are quite memorable.

Post-processing, when done right, is hardly noticeable on good voice-acting, and is most certainly not divine suggestion for improving game feeling. Neither is childish am not / are too "debate" with boss.

To conclude, well executed boss fight makes player feel uneasy and unsure, because opponent has chance to actually do something with consequences, and is always dangerous, and not "lower zombie" strength if geared enough. The good boss is fearsome, and not players peer with whom he exchanges badly written clichés (in own head or otherwise).

And why they speak english? Though heavenly being states that in every case Latin would serve better, in D3 no language can help, except if events are greatly improved. And post-processing of badly written script just adds insult to the injury

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Are you factoring in that "Ugluk dra mamsicli rumptu grurur". would be said in a really deep synthesizer voice with a lot or reverb and echo? Because that makes the monster voices in D3 that much scarier...
    In this case, knowing the words is like knowing one's fate and that it's going to happen in the next few minutes. Of course, at your 134th Diablo run, that doesn't scare anymore at all, so what remains is the voice itself.

If the words are illegible, it adds mysteriousness, like Tyrael's words when he destroyed the worldstone (it's not Latin, I remember a few fragments that language from school 25-30 years ago). I don't think it made sense not to let Diablo use an alien language when he confronteed the characters directly.

However, I mightg be a bit biased because of the German version which is praised by many non-German players, probably for something which could be called the Rammstein effect .

It depends whether you are watching the scene from afar or standing before a 15' monster which is addressing yourself while looking into your eyes. But yes, the game is about thrilling those who are playing the game.

I agree that it doesn't impress a 25-30 year old former D2 player anymore. It's perhaps even painfully shallow, but it probably sounded cooler at an age of 15 and that's what makes up most of one's memories. BTW, I'm way older than 25-30 .

Anyway, addressing mainly teenagers was one of Blizzard's mistakes. The typical D2 fan was 15 in 2000, so he's 28 now. Blizzard thought their support would come for free, without having to listen much to their desires.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestructor View Post
    The game would have been made much better if Azmodan just popped up and gurgled at you every few minutes. At least that way it wouldn't be so obvious how dumb he was.
    We probably agree about the quality of the dialogues in D3. OTOH, Mephisto was even easier to kill in D2.

Every act boss appears dumb once you figure out a way to defeat him safely. If there was no such a way in a game like Diablo, people would complain about him being not worth farming.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

That line was from D2. Nobody should say anything bad about D2, ever

True - The divine being forgot it! The God bestows a medium blessing on fmulder for correcting and refreshing divine memory, as for other quality posts.

The God referred to WC3/SC1 as a games with superb voice acting - D2 haven't much of it, especially mandatory dialogues.

Good news is that new antagonist is apparently mostly silent

[EDIT]: Many famous A-movies actors done voice-acting for games - Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson, or actors that have striking voice, think of Malcolm McDowel, Christopher Lee... List of voice-actor for D3 is... well... look it up and tell that how good would any of above sound, in comparison to bland or, worse, post-processed, demonic babbling - The God claims that AAA+ game *should* have better actors and better engineers and better dialogue-writers
    Last edited by Clavdivs; 28-10-2013 at 12:08.