Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: OT: Workout and Diet Log

You will probably have to do some degree of weight training. Muscle 'tone' is basically just the visual effect of muscle size and body fat %. You can only reduce your body fat % if you take care of your nutrition, but losing weight also means losing muscle if you don't continue to train those muscles and get sufficient protein to allow them to maintain themselves as much as possible. Catch 22!

Basically, eat 200-300 below your maintenance calories and do some weight training, maybe 2-3 times a week if possible? You don't have to go into the weight area either, if you're trying to tone rather than build mass then bodyweight exercises are great
    Push ups, various ab work, pull ups etc

Edit: I haven't measured my arms no, I'm too self conscious

Quote Originally Posted by GooberGrape View Post
    I tell everyone they can't say they can't. I don't believe in the word. There are people on this forum who have beaten Diablo 2 naked, completed the grail, and got to level 99. John Glenn went into SPACE at 77 years old. Kitteh gained 80 pounds and got his life back. People do a lot of things they "can't" do once they remove the personal barriers that stop them.

Three types of arthritis? Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and...post-traumatic arthritis? Did you tear a meniscus doing Jillian Michaels? Again, without an MRI or exploratory surgery you (and presumably your doctor) are just guessing. I hope you never have to use that cane, but it's your choice not mine.
    You may not mean to but that sounds a bit insensitive.
    I'm too young for therapeutic support stockings but I have to wear them, and they cause a lot of pain. If I don't wear them I have a lot of pain too and gain weight rapidly because it all sinks into my legs and there's no drainage left now that it's been permanently damaged.
    Yes, I had doctors look at me through and through. Some things are beyond repair with me. Some things they can't explain but they can see it's not possible although nobody knows why (for example I can't tilt my toes towards my ankle).
    I can never run again. I used to be the fastest of my class, but had to give up as the family genes progressed into their downward spiral.
    Yesterday I had to sit down every few meters I walked. My legs felt like led. I looked like a 60 year old.
    I'm only 36 years old.

There is such a thing as can't.

OT: Workout and Diet Log

Don't worry, Kitteh.

Vivi, Goober was trying to be encouraging, not insensitive. It's ok.
    Last edited by Goldtru; 27-10-2013 at 11:30.

Ok. Didn't mean to argue, I apologize.

Leg day today

Exercises;
    Back squats
    Leg press
    BSS
    SLDL
    BB raises
    Seated raises
    Hamstring curls

Videos; 60kg for 2 is my PR, although I feel I could have gone for 4, hence the ironic chuckle. Pretty annoyed that I stopped at 2 really. I did a set of 7 at 50kg between the 40kg and 55kg back squats (not recorded) and then finished my back squats with the 60kg.

Spoiler

Today was chest day;

Spoiler

Finished with some cable presses and cable crosses.

Today was back but I won't get a chance to upload the recordings until late tonight. I got a new PR on my T-bar row though - 80kg Although I didn't hit all 12 reps :(

Would anybody benefit from recipes? I'm thinking of putting some in spoiler tags on the first post.

How effective is weighing all of your food?

I'm thinking about trying to bulk up a little bit, but after losing ~50 pounds I'm nervous about increasing my food consumption. I've been at a constant weight for about a year and a half now while doing p90x-2 practically religiously (working on my 4th time through this year). I added a protein supplement about 4 months ago that I take with milk that adds 200 calories a day, but my weight has stayed constant.

I feel like using a scale would help me slowly gain mass in a very controlled way.

Thanks for all the work you put into this.

I use a food scale because it allows me to know exactly what I'm getting from every meal. MyFitnessPal (link in first post) is a fantastic website for tracking your meals. P90x-2 is a great workout, but I wouldn't personally use it for gaining mass. I'm happy to write a programme for you if you like, similar mine, mass gain is my goal just now. In terms of caloric intake; you have what is called your maintenance calories, that is the amount of calories you need to take in just to maintain your body weight. To lose weight you want to go 200-300 calories below that, and 300-400 calories above it to bulk up. If you go 500 calories or more above then you are 'dirty bulking'. Personally, I would never dirty bulk on the basis that whilst you gain more muscle, you also gain more fat, which means you will have to cut harder later on. For cutting, the further into a deficit you go, the higher your muscle loss will likely be.
    Once you have your maintenance calories (link below) you can add or subtract calories - the calculator is only an estimate, you must track your weight and adjust your calories appropriately.

This is the one I use to get my starting intake - link.

Opinions are split all over the board, but my personal belief is to get 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, and 0.5g of fat per pound of bodyweight. After that, your macros can be adapted depending on your person al situation. Personally (bulking) I aim for 250g of protein, but that is fa more than I require, it is just a precaution, plus I happen to enjoy high protein foods. Lift heavy

Make sure you rest too - not just muscle groups, your CNS can be overloaded too!