Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: My wolfman has hit a wall

Alright, I didn't find anything that suits what you are going for exactly, but this is what I would do...

I took a look at your other thread too, just for the fun of it.

Since you want wolves to be your main summons, and at your level right now.

20 dire wolf
    20 fury
    1 point in your other summons (sages, ravens, creepers, bear etc.)
    1 point in cyclone armor (it won't provide much, but the elemental absorb is helpful, even at one point)
    5-ish in feral rage, more will give you more life leach, but fully charged at level 5 is somewhere around 40% so that +skills from gear should be ok for a while.
    Me pesonally then I would do 1 point werewolf and 20 lycanthropy, but an even split would be more well rounded, its up to you. I play HC and like to have more life, where as more in werewolf would make it easier to hit things.

After that you have to make a choice, stronger summons or stronger you. If you want your wolves to do more damage, put more skill points in grizzly. If you want better leach, but more in feral rage, If you want to be able to hit things easier put more into Werewolf.

Strength/Dex: Enough for gear
    Vit: Rest
    Energy: None

If you are comfortable with your life, then you can put more into strength for extra damage.

Your armor choices really aren't that optimal...oh! do you have a 3 socket armor available and some runes, I saw that you don't have RWM, but this one would be really helpful to you I think:

Duress
    3 Socket Body Armor
    Shael + Um + Thul

+40% Faster Hit Recovery
    +10-20% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Adds 37-133 Cold Damage 2 sec. Duration (Normal)
    15% Chance of Crushing Blow
    33% Chance of Open Wounds
    +150-200% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    -20% Slower Stamina Drain
    Cold Resist +45%
    Lightning Resist +15%
    Fire Resist +15%
    Poison Resist +15%

This one is decent too:

Lionheart
    3 Socket Body Armor
    Hel + Lum + Fal

+20% Enhanced Damage
    Requirements -15%
    +25 To Strength
    +10 To Energy
    +20 To Vitality
    +15 To Dexterity
    +50 To Life
    All Resistances +30

I would take ribcracker over bonesnape or steeldriver. Although ribcracker doesn't have any resists, so that may be an issue. Unfortunately being a unique item, there are only two ways to add sockets, the Act 5 Quest 1 socket reward (Lazruk), or the use of a stone of jordan ring in the cube recipe (but this to me personally is a waste), either way will only add one socket.

Switch shield: If your going to use it just for transforming/summoning now, you can switch back to the sigons for the additional +skill, every little bit helps.

Optimal things to be on the look out for/if you have them available I would use them:
    Jalal's Mane - Totemic Mask, Great bonuses
    Immortal king set pieces - gloves/belt/boots. If you have all three then use them, if you only have 2 or less then don't
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

I can't respec him yet - I used up my two respecs already, so he has to make it to hell before I can do it again. However, Rattlecage, Ribcracker and Sandstorm trek boots are making a big difference. He's not getting hurt as much as I thought he would from losing about 500 defense, and he's killing way faster. He made it through the Ancients on p4.

I don't think I'm going to move him straight on to hell tho, if/when he kills Baal. I strongly suspect that a char who can't handle act 5 NM on p8 won't be able to stick his nose out of the rogue encampment without getting it blown off by a quill rat. He may need to hit the gym a bit and cut down on the sweets. That is, go through act 5 again on p8, farm meph a bit, and generally get ground up some.

Archone, I'll try Oak Sage for a while. The D2 book said Spirit of Barbs is the thing to use, but I'm not convinced. Also, the book is pretty old and I imagine with all the patches, the spirits have probably changed a bit since then.

Next time I level up, I'll put a point in grizzly, and then I'll just keep pumping Fury. Amazing the difference that switching out gear makes.

Spirit of barbs is actually the worst of the 3. The return damage is actually only a fraction of the damage actually listed on the skill, and the monster life to damage ratio makes it no where near worth using the spirit of barbs one.

Oak for more life
    HOW for more damage/AR

Most people use oak though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goldtru View Post
    Archone, I'll try Oak Sage for a while. The D2 book said Spirit of Barbs is the thing to use, but I'm not convinced. Also, the book is pretty old and I imagine with all the patches, the spirits have probably changed a bit since then.
    Yeah, the book makes a lot of statements that aren't relevant for newer patches or were never relevant outside Normal difficulty. Spirit of Barbs isn't really worth it. I prefer Heart of Wolverine. Oak Sage gives the most apparent benefit, but it can get annoying when it dies suddenly, leaving you without the life enhancement that you had before.

Wow! All I can say is, can you guys come straighten out the rest of my life?? He got through the Ancients on p4 and is now having a pretty easy time in the WS K on p6. All I did was give him ribcracker, rattlecage and sandstorm trek boots, and put a point into grizzly. I'm going to be dumping all my points from now on into fury. The difference is just amazing! He's really fast, and monsters are running away and hiding.

EDIT: he just killed nm baal on p3. I know that's not really anything to be proud of, but considering he couldn't kill the Ancients on p1 just a few hours ago, that's quite some progress in my book!
    Last edited by Goldtru; 17-10-2013 at 00:00.

Wow! All I can say is, can you guys come straighten out the rest of my life?? He got through the Ancients on p4 and is now having a pretty easy time in the WS K on p6. All I did was give him ribcracker, rattlecage and sandstorm trek boots, and put a point into grizzly. I'm going to be dumping all my points from now on into fury. The difference is just amazing! He's really fast, and monsters are running away and hiding.

EDIT: he just killed nm baal on p3. I know that's not really anything to be proud of, but considering he couldn't kill the Ancients on p1 just a few hours ago, that's quite some progress in my book!
    Awesome!!

Just keep asking questions, I know we're all happy to help!

Peace

IncGamers Member

(...)He got through the Ancients on p4 and is now having a pretty easy time in the WS K on p6.(...)
    One thing I would recommend, is to stick to odd numbers for your player settings. As far as the bad guys' chances to drop items are concerned, and when using the /players command, 1&2 are equal, 3&4 are equal, and 5-8 are nearly identical. If, of course, you are only increasing the player setting for more experience, try aiming 1 level higher, to get the boost in treasure! For example, instead of pressing through the WSK on p6, maybe try again on p7 (especially now that you know that hound can handle it!) and see if there is any difference. Also, at any time you are on an even numbered player setting, and you are having a rough time, dropping it down 1 would buy you some breathing room without affecting his ability to dig up treasures in the yard (hey, I'm trying here! :P) IE, if you were having some troubles in the WSK at p6, maybe try dropping to p5 as it will lower the monsters life and other stats, without emptying their pockets!

As for your actual question, it's a good thing that others were able to help you. I've never played with a Druid before, that's actually why I'm here right now, instead of in the SPF! But good luck, you're doing great!

Pyro, I have a couple of questions about your advice.

1. Why do you suggest putting points in the creepers? I haven't been using them at all, so that I could dump more points in to the wolves. So I must be missing some information about the creepers, and why they are important.
    2. Since the WW has so much life, do I need to put more points into Vit? In other words, I'm spending all my time as the wolf and his life is somewhere around 1400 (that's the number that shows up in the red bulb in the game). The base life is obviously much lower than that. So do I still need to pump Vit?
    3. What do you think of the ravens? I know that they do very little damage and are usually disparaged on the boards here, but to be honest, I have found them very useful for distracting monsters. Yes, they don't do much damage, but they do keep you from being swarmed. Opinion?

He is struggling again in hell, but I suppose that is to be expected. I'm giving him a bit of a break while I blast through Normal with an Amazon. Holy guacamole is the Amazon amazing.

I found Black Chaos armor and just realized that I should have made Lionheart out of it. I still can ... but I put ptopazs in it because he was finding absolutely NOTHING and I love finding stuff. It's like shopping only without spending any money.

You should come play with me some time!

Quote Originally Posted by logoutzero View Post
    One thing I would recommend, is to stick to odd numbers for your player settings. As far as the bad guys' chances to drop items are concerned, and when using the /players command, 1&2 are equal, 3&4 are equal, and 5-8 are nearly identical. If, of course, you are only increasing the player setting for more experience, try aiming 1 level higher, to get the boost in treasure! For example, instead of pressing through the WSK on p6, maybe try again on p7 (especially now that you know that hound can handle it!) and see if there is any difference. Also, at any time you are on an even numbered player setting, and you are having a rough time, dropping it down 1 would buy you some breathing room without affecting his ability to dig up treasures in the yard (hey, I'm trying here! :P) IE, if you were having some troubles in the WSK at p6, maybe try dropping to p5 as it will lower the monsters life and other stats, without emptying their pockets!

As for your actual question, it's a good thing that others were able to help you. I've never played with a Druid before, that's actually why I'm here right now, instead of in the SPF! But good luck, you're doing great!
    Hi, thanks for your reply! I didn't know that about the p settings and it's very good advice. He does love to go digging up treasures in the yard, yes, although he's very bad at it and mostly finds mouldy old bones and junk. Very disappointing.

And if you want to play with a Druid, come play with me some time! He's having a dreadful time in hell again, so I've given him a bit of a break. I'll go back to him shortly. I might just run NM a bit to get his confidence back up. He's also COMPLETELY broke. So running NM Countess might be good for him - got to keep the wolves in doggy treats.

IncGamers Member

1. Why do you suggest putting points in the creepers? I haven't been using them at all, so that I could dump more points in to the wolves. So I must be missing some information about the creepers, and why they are important.
    Getting 1 point in carrion wine is a common way to get rid of corpses for druids. This comes in handy in hell when low on gear and unable to kill off monsters fast, since it prevents monsters from being resurrected. With good gear it's not a big deal if you have them or not, but if you find it hard to kill the undead in act2, having them resurrected is, in the best case scenario, very time consuming.

3. What do you think of the ravens? I know that they do very little damage and are usually disparaged on the boards here, but to be honest, I have found them very useful for distracting monsters. Yes, they don't do much damage, but they do keep you from being swarmed. Opinion?
    That is exactly what they are useful for. Since they have blinding attacks they help keeping monsters away from you. Given a few +skill which you'll likely have later on 1 point in them is by far enough, but for a struggling untwinked char it can help with 5 pts (since after skill lvl 5 you don't get more ravens, 5 of them is maximum at any given time). Pre sumoning a few ravens before a nasty bosspack can really make the difference, but if you find yourself able to handle monsters anyways, keeping summoning them is a waste of time.

I found Black Chaos armor and just realized that I should have made Lionheart out of it. I still can ... but I put ptopazs in it because he was finding absolutely NOTHING and I love finding stuff. It's like shopping only without spending any money.
    You are fortunate not to have done this yet, or you'd have learned a hard-earned lession. Runewords only work in grey socketed items, not in uniques or magical ones.