Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

A Thorns Paladin??

Is it possible?
    Could it kill Diablo?
    What Combat Skill would I use?
    What Equipment would I need?

I know thorns only works against melee, but still, I'm just curious to see what is would look like.

IncGamers Member

Re: A Thorns Paladin??

There is no way to leech/regenerate that many HP back.

Say, "edge"+"bramble"+thorns aura on self and "prayer"+insight merc.
    Or "thorns" merc with bramble on .

Still, monsters has alot more health than players, while having lower damage than players.

So even with a really high thorns aura, they wont kill themself by attacking you very fast.

IncGamers Member

Thorns is pretty good in Normal. In Hell it underperforms for the reason Archone stated. The aura is also no use against elemental damage.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archone View Post
    So even with a really high thorns aura, they wont kill themself by attacking you very fast.
    Well, is this math correct?

One will easily achieve 60-70lvl thorns, which means ~%3000 damage returned. Hell Blood Lord has 15k hp on average, which is only 500hp to be dealt to paladin, just a few hits.

You forgot to take into account physical resistance, and I'm not sure how anyone could ever reach that level of thorns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

IncGamers Member

Well, I cant check this right now (this ladder, actually ), but I'm pretty much sure it should work:

you put 20 hard points in self "thorns" aura, 15-20 from stacked "bramble" runeword and 15 from stacked "edge" runeword. Also, 10 or more from charms, anni/torch etc. I know some sorceress/paladins stack "dream" runewords the same way.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lotus View Post
    One will easily achieve 60-70lvl thorns, which means ~%3000 damage returned. Hell Blood Lord has 15k hp on average, which is only 500hp to be dealt to paladin, just a few hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Lotus View Post
    you put 20 hard points in self "thorns" aura, 15-20 from stacked "bramble" runeword and 15 from stacked "edge" runeword. Also, 10 or more from charms, anni/torch etc.
    Level (30-36) Thorns Aura When Equipped is possible by equipping an Edge bow and Bramble body armour, but this does not add to skill points invested in Thorns, or skill bonuses to it: if a Paladin equipped both and had level 20 Thorns as well, he would only apply level (30-36) Thorns; if he had level 40 Thorns as well, he'd only apply that.

The practical maximum level Thorns would be 53 with Battle Command (55 with a Skill Shrine), returning 2,330% damage (+/- 40% per level). Act bosses apply 200% damage to a mercenary and 400% damage to any pets.

The Death Lords of the Worldstone Keep and Throne of Destruction have 14,836-18,546 (16,691 average) life in Ladder and Single Player Hell, Damage Resist 66% and they apply 76-115 physical damage with 5% chance of a critical hit doubling that (~100.275 average).

Level 36 Thorns returns 1,650% damage, so hitting a Paladin with no integer or percentage damage reduction would return ~1,654.5 damage on average, which DR 66% would reduce to ~562.5. Ignoring damage regeneration for simplicity's sake, it would average 30 hits to kill a Death Lord, requiring ~3,008.25 average damage to the Paladin.

Cursing the Death Lord with Amplify Damage reduces it to DR -34%, which would increase ~1,654.5 average returned damage to ~2,217: it would average 8 hits to kill a cursed Death Lord, requiring ~802 average damage to the Paladin.

Curse some Death Lords with Amplify Damage, use conversion on one of them and when the others hit it their average damage is increased to ~134, resulting in ~2,217 returned damage which is increased to ~2,971 by DR -34%: it would average 6 hits to kill a cursed Death Lord, requiring ~806 average damage to the converted cursed Death Lord.

IncGamers Member

Hi to all
    I would to ask... in a party, a monster killed by a thorn aura, is killed by the paladin or by the party member (minion) hit?

Id guess its killed by the target that is hit.