Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IncGamers Member

Re: Whirlwind Barbarian: Light vs. Heavy vs. Dual Weapons

It sure did seem like I was hitting from farther away. Then again, I haven't used a WW barb since 1.10. Could something have changed? Because I really do remember things dying long before they got near me, and whenever I used two lower-damaging weapons, I was always in the mob whereas with my pole I was rarely swarmed by the time I hit them.

It is a fairly significant difference in damage. Coupling this with WW, is it really not possible the slower attacks were killing in few required hits and that is what caused my different experience?

The Eth Ghost Spear I have, does an average dmg of ~650. I still use it for its range and style. But could be easily compared to dualwielding anything except Grief.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonautical View Post
    It sure did seem like I was hitting from farther away. Then again, I haven't used a WW barb since 1.10. Could something have changed? Because I really do remember things dying long before they got near me, and whenever I used two lower-damaging weapons, I was always in the mob whereas with my pole I was rarely swarmed by the time I hit them.

It is a fairly significant difference in damage. Coupling this with WW, is it really not possible the slower attacks were killing in few required hits and that is what caused my different experience?
    I doubt anything has changed since 1.10, but while two one-handed weapons can apply approximately the same damage as a comparable two-handed weapon, when multiple targets are within radius and range then that damage is split between multiple targets, so the more focused damage of a two-handed weapon can kill a target earlier in your approach. So while a long-range two-handed weapon doesn't necessarily gain any offensive or defensive advantage from its range (although it still can if your one-handed weapons have rangeadder < 2), it may do so from its damage (being attacked by fewer monsters at full health, rather than more monsters at lower health).

Although ultimately the best offensive setup is arguably two one-handed rangeadder 2 weapons, until you have two good weapons a good two-handed weapon may still compare more favourably (although all but two-handed swords require much more weapon IAS to maintain maximum attack speed).