Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OMG/WTF?! Whirlwind Barbarian: Light vs. Heavy vs. Dual Weapons

Just a free thread for anyone who wants to share their opinion as to why they prefer the following combat styles for a Whirlwind Barbarian:

Light - Weapon and Shield (eg. axe+buckler)
    Heavy - Two-Handed Weapon (eg. maul)
    Dual - Double-Wielding (eg. axe+axe)

Consider this a debate thread if you wish. But no Spears or Torches please, unless it's an Insight or a Hellfire Torch

IncGamers Member

Re: Whirlwind Barbarian: Light vs. Heavy vs. Dual Weapons

The only whirlwind guys I've ever built were IK (2h mace) or ebotd gpa (polearms aint no spears okay? )

Weapon + Stormshield is awesome in pvp for barbs. Or a nice Sanctuary, depending on the opponent.

Both dual/2hand is very strong. But its up to preferance, or style.

IncGamers Member

I've only done two-handed maces and hammers. Most of the other ones I've seen have been polearms or dual-wielding axes. I've never seen anyone do Grief/Grief (in phase blades, of course) for WW, but it seems like something that would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtar View Post
    I've only done two-handed maces and hammers. Most of the other ones I've seen have been polearms or dual-wielding axes. I've never seen anyone do Grief/Grief (in phase blades, of course) for WW, but it seems like something that would be fun.
    Ive done that.
    Its a high dmg build, but the lack of stats/life is a factor.

But I did this with a titan barb, so maybe a more safer build using dual Grief will work better!

IncGamers Member

Whoa whoa whoa, why the spear hate?

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "no torches unless its Hellfire Torch."

Sorry to break your rules, but my favorite WW barb was ALWAYS an Ethereal Breath of the Dying War Pike, simply because of the MASSIVE damage and range.

While it is a slow weapon, BotD circumvents this issue with its famously-high IAS. So while it certainly will never hit on par with two fast weapons in each hand, it isn't that much of a difference, especially when you consider that you do several times as much damage while hitting targets almost half a screen away it seems.

Also, as far as PvP goes, its REALLY hard to not die versus a BotD War Pike whirler. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonautical View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa, why the spear hate?

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "no torches unless its Hellfire Torch."

Sorry to break your rules, but my favorite WW barb was ALWAYS an Ethereal Breath of the Dying War Pike, simply because of the MASSIVE damage and range.

While it is a slow weapon, BotD circumvents this issue with its famously-high IAS. So while it certainly will never hit on par with two fast weapons in each hand, it isn't that much of a difference, especially when you consider that you do several times as much damage while hitting targets almost half a screen away it seems.

Also, as far as PvP goes, its REALLY hard to not die versus a BotD War Pike whirler. Just sayin'.
    LOL I meant it as a joke. Angry mobs carry spears and torches. What it meant was, no hate.

IncGamers Member

Might as well link to this.

I kinda found it frustrating using a maul to WW because when I used two berserker axes, I hit 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

IncGamers Member

Despite its 60 Increased Attack Speed, a Breath of the Dying War Pike cannot maintain Whirlwind's maximum attack speed of 4 frames per hit check, so after the first two hit checks in the fourth and eighth frames, its maximum attack speed is 6 frames per hit check.

While an ethereal BotD War Pike averages at most ~21.6% more damage per hit than an ethereal BotD Ghost Spear or Great Poleaxe, the latter two can maintain maximum attack speed and are thus 50% faster after the first two hit checks. Aside from potentially resulting in more physical attack damage per second, this will also apply non-physical attack damage and other modifiers (like Crushing Blow and Open Wounds) more frequently.

Beyond the first two hit checks, a BotD War Pike attacks once every 6 frames, while two weapons can attack twice (once each) every 4 frames, so that's 4 1/6 (25/6) attacks per second versus 12.5 (25/2) attacks per second: that's three times more frequent.

Namtar has already posted a link to one of my earlier posts pointing out the limited (and often non-existent) advantage of rangeadder 3-4 two-handed weapons over rangeadder 2 one-handed weapons when using Whirlwind.