Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Why waste runes on a two-handed sword?

Quote Originally Posted by onderduiker View Post
    I think it must come down to aesthetics: a Colossus Blade or any other two-handed sword looks like a formidable weapon, whereas a Berserker Axe... definitely does not (it might if it resembled its inventory graphic, but it really doesn't). This might not be a consideration in PvP (where every advantage is sought) but for PvM, players may make minor practical sacrifices in the interests of style.
    Your entire response was brilliant, but this was the biggest point I think.

I agree, I believe it is more of an aesthetic choice, or they, like I used to be, were simply convinced that since Barbarians can one-hand a big sword, that it simply must be better. But that kind of brings me to the bigger picture here: is that ability to one-hand a big sword REALLY that significant? I don't think it is, at least where runewords are concerned.

For uniques, all day. Barbarians I feel are the only class who can make good use of the unique two-handed swords out there.

OH! But I just realized an even BIGGER issue at hand:

So sure, the damage difference IS negligible, and the speed isn't an issue with the 60% IAS.

BUT, the other HUGE deal with it is that by making a BOTD CB, you are virtually limiting it to the use of a barbarian and NO ONE else. Yes, it can be argued that a Paladin or Druid can make use of a two-handed sword, but c'mon, be real here. Druid's would get a much better bonus from their trusty polearms, and Paladin shield options offer way to much power to ignore.

By using a zerker, you are creating a fantastic go-to weapon for literally ANY class that swings instead of casts. Hell, there is even a necromancer build based on using a BOTD and maxing out the Poison Nova synergies to cast big rings of death upon each regular attack kill.

Maybe I am ranting or being overly critical. I just see NO reason WHATSOEVER to EVER waste a Zod and Vex on a BOTD Colossus Blade when a zerker axe is superior in every conceivable way.

Unless you want a barb running around with an intimidatingly large sword, in which case, hey savor the flavor, you know? But from a statistical perspective, CB gets two major thumbs down for me.

IncGamers Member

Well, technically there are barbarian mercenaries, who can only use one sword, might as well use an ethereal, two-handed runeword sword, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonautical View Post
    Your entire response was brilliant, but this was the biggest point I think.

I agree, I believe it is more of an aesthetic choice, or they, like I used to be, were simply convinced that since Barbarians can one-hand a big sword, that it simply must be better. But that kind of brings me to the bigger picture here: is that ability to one-hand a big sword REALLY that significant? I don't think it is, at least where runewords are concerned.

For uniques, all day. Barbarians I feel are the only class who can make good use of the unique two-handed swords out there.

OH! But I just realized an even BIGGER issue at hand:

So sure, the damage difference IS negligible, and the speed isn't an issue with the 60% IAS.

BUT, the other HUGE deal with it is that by making a BOTD CB, you are virtually limiting it to the use of a barbarian and NO ONE else. Yes, it can be argued that a Paladin or Druid can make use of a two-handed sword, but c'mon, be real here. Druid's would get a much better bonus from their trusty polearms, and Paladin shield options offer way to much power to ignore.

By using a zerker, you are creating a fantastic go-to weapon for literally ANY class that swings instead of casts. Hell, there is even a necromancer build based on using a BOTD and maxing out the Poison Nova synergies to cast big rings of death upon each regular attack kill.

Maybe I am ranting or being overly critical. I just see NO reason WHATSOEVER to EVER waste a Zod and Vex on a BOTD Colossus Blade when a zerker axe is superior in every conceivable way.

Unless you want a barb running around with an intimidatingly large sword, in which case, hey savor the flavor, you know? But from a statistical perspective, CB gets two major thumbs down for me.

Another thing you may have overlooked is:

What weapon is to be used in other hand?
    Sometimes the offhand maybe a sword - unique/rare/runeword
    An example for a Frenzier could be - Grief PhaseBlade + ebotdcb
    Or ebotdcb + Lawbringer PB
    Some axe weapons are undesirable when choosing a specific main weapon.

Just my two cents

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonautical View Post

Breath of the Dying has become less popular as a one-handed weapon since the introduction of the 1.10 Ladder Rune Words, particularly Grief (since the lowest Grief damage roll is still higher than a perfect ethereal BotD Berserker Axe, and relatively speaking it requires less rare runes and base weapon).

This is posted in the Barbarian forum, and some players only play Barbarians: aside from what Namtar and Spankeh have posted, an ethereal Breath of the Dying Colossus Blade could also be more desirable as it could be used as both a one-handed and two-handed weapon; although a Barbarian can achieve a maximum attack speed of 10 frames per attack for skills like Concentrate and Berserk with all two-handed weapons, it takes significantly less IAS with a two-handed sword or spear (for example, 194 IAS for a Colossus Sword (weapon speed 10) vs 280 IAS for a weapon speed 10 axe, polearm, hammer or staff); and Leap Attack is also one frame faster when equipping a two-handed sword compared to all other two-handed weapons.

Believe it or not, but some players do play two-handed Avengers, Chargers or Fanatic Zealots (although the latter two are more likely to use an ethereal Death axe or sword, since IAS is either irrelevant or less important).

BattleTag What Me Worry?

I built Oath Eth TH

Had the runes to waste, was fun.

Why not?

But I played realms and ladder
    Last edited by BobCox2; 11-10-2013 at 07:03.

IncGamers Member NoisemakerArrow's Avatar

What's TH?

IncGamers Member

I also agree that Berserker axe is in some points superior than other two-handed swords when equipped as one-hand for WW barbarians. One downside of it is the graphical aspect, you know . When equipped two ethereal Berserker Axes, barbarian looks like a hungry man holding two giant forks or something; it never looks like a monster-smashing weapon... But well, I still prefer Berserker axe, though.

Oh, but I actually prefer to put more points into str than just putting all other points into vit so in that case Colossus Sword would be a nice option.
    Last edited by TaxxiDriver; 28-01-2014 at 09:59.

IncGamers Member

Just another consideration is the masteries. Sword mastery is worse than spear- / polearm mastery.

The sound of a swordswing is better for the ears!

IncGamers Member NoisemakerArrow's Avatar

The second tier of masteries have 2% AR more at each level compared to the first tier ones. That's hardly a big deal.