Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    This was my thought as well - said crafting items and top end gear won\'t need to be BoA anymore. Those items were BoA because it was a bandaid trying to add good items not available in the Auction House. Well, nothing will be available in the AH come RoS, so nothing (or certainly not everything) will need to be account bound.

If they agree, Flux\'s entire argument is unraveled because it is all predicated on the assumption that nothing will change. That\'s basically what both sides of this conversation ride on.

IncGamers Member

Re: Will Gold Retain Value in Diablo 3\'s Future?

There is still a use for BoA, since trading still exists.

Hell, you could turn the argument around. If you make most good items BoA, then there isn't a need for AH anymore

Edit:
    I doubt gold will keep its value.
    But, do you think gold really kept its value in the current game? It seemed to have a really high inflation. Which of course to some degree was off-set by the fast devaluation of low-end gear. High-end gear felt the full effect though.

This time around, the use for gold will mostly be gold sinks though. In the AH it was just gold transfers (and a little bit of a sink of course).
    Immediately after release, a lot of people might have much more gold than needed, over time it might be able to stabilize.

Tbh, I hope most of the in-game 'gold sinks', like crafting, enchanting etc. gets turned into other currencies (like Demonic Essence) which are BoA. Then let gold rot as an in-game currency, except for repairs maybe.
    Since the gold economy is already ****ed up, using it anymore in-game feels bad.
    With current in-game prices some people will have endless gold. If you raise gold costs in-game to counter the gold people have earned so far, new players/poor players would be screwed instead (hello Marquis gems).
    Might as well start over.

IncGamers Member
    "Why? Look no further than D2. Without a currency, you cannot effectively trade."

This is actually a very strong argument why blizzard would not want gold to have any value. What was in Blizzard\'s own words wrong with the auction house? It was too convenient!

They now learned that convenient trading is an enemy of gameplay in an ARPG. They have every reason to make trade as inconvenient as possible, I expect that we won\'t see any new trade mode, we won\'t see any upgrades to in game trading, people losing items by scammers in trading shall not be refunded nor shall fighting those scammers be given high priority. The scammers are making trade more inconvenient, they are actually helping Blizzard. In addition shall many good items be account bound. Using out of game sites and tools to trade could even be forbidden in the ToS, including trades that only involve in game currency.

IncGamers Member

Re: Will Gold Retain Value in Diablo 3\'s Future?

Quote Originally Posted by Charons View Post
    this is a very curious subject. Obviously, they need to pull all those billions and billions of gold out of the economy IF they wanted to fix it's value. Gheed's gambling might be a wonderful way to do it. Without the AH, will players care how many billions they have. (or hundreds of millions)

This comes down to numbers and what they set them at. (obviously) Let\'s do a for instance tho.

Let's say they choose to make items from Gheed cost 100,000 (they could start high and lower later...) Let\'s also say that you have 1 in 1000 odds of finding a legendary via Gheed. (or really good rare) 100 * 100k is 100million. If you had 4billion gold (like I've seen some streamers have) you could hope to find around 40 legendaries or good rares. I kind of think that is a fair trade and it "could" pull a lot of the gold out there.

After they got the game gold back to normal, they could lower prices on Gheed down to D2 levels.

I think they should get clever and put in some other ways to pull money out. Like come up with a unique costume item like the wings for 1billion gold or something.
    100 mil for a random legendary... in D3...

UNID Mempo is what, 60? And that's the highest by far.

Lolno.

IncGamers Member
    I take it you have been living in Mars for the last month and was not aware that ladder is already confirmed to be in RoS officially.

Welcome back to Earth

IncGamers Member
    Well, I for one never gambled in D2. But I do know people who poured tons and tons of gold into it just for a shot at a good rare. It IS one of the avenues of removing gold out of the game. Whether or not you think its silly, it did get used A LOT in D2.

classic.battle.net actually has this.

"The items you receive will be from most common, to most rare: Magic Items, Rare, Sets, Uniques. Set and Unique Items are extremely rare. The chance for Uniques is 1 in 2,000 (0.05%) and 1 in 1,000 (0.10%) for Sets. The chance for Rares is 1 in 10 (10%). Magic Items are 1/~1.1 (89.85%). "

So ya, getting a Unique was even rarer than I thought.

IncGamers Member
    It\'ll depend. If they\'re leaning more towards self-found will they lower the crafting costs? Would take awhile to get the bajillions needed to craft the highest level gems without AH.

IncGamers Member
    D2 gold has no other use at all, except reviving mercs.

D3 attempts making it useful for crafting, and gems, and so on. They will almost certainly lower these costs, so people can afford them without an AH so there will be a currency but probably not gold.

If the gambling had odds anywhere near that bad though... well you can just play the game, for free.

BattleTag stonerdoom-1945
    Are you deep down having ambivalence about the AH? You say it is/was a bad thing but ever since the announcement...

D2 had a significant barter economy (and a very profitable 3rd party site economy as well). D3C had a much larger economy thanks to the AH.

The way Flux describes things, he seems to think that item trading will mostly disappear (largely because the best items will all be BOA). If he is correct, that means that trading -- which has been an integral part of D2 and D3C -- will no longer be relevant.

I don\'t see how Blizzard can get rid of something that many players still enjoy: trading items.