Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    this is a very curious subject. Obviously, they need to pull all those billions and billions of gold out of the economy IF they wanted to fix it\'s value. Gheed\'s gambling might be a wonderful way to do it. Without the AH, will players care how many billions they have. (or hundreds of millions)

This comes down to numbers and what they set them at. (obviously) Let\'s do a for instance tho.

Let\'s say they choose to make items from Gheed cost 100,000 (they could start high and lower later...) Let\'s also say that you have 1 in 1000 odds of finding a legendary via Gheed. (or really good rare) 100 * 100k is 100million. If you had 4billion gold (like I\'ve seen some streamers have) you could hope to find around 40 legendaries or good rares. I kind of think that is a fair trade and it \"could\" pull a lot of the gold out there.

After they got the game gold back to normal, they could lower prices on Gheed down to D2 levels.

I think they should get clever and put in some other ways to pull money out. Like come up with a unique costume item like the wings for 1billion gold or something.

IncGamers Member
    wrong. you have to have binding to stop the mofo\'s out there that use bots.

IncGamers Member
    k i\'ve had a little wine and was a little quick to reply there. You may have a legit argument. But I still think that binding stops the vast majority of bots. Most people use bots to sell items for real money. If a bot was to find an item that was BOA, it can\'t sell it. Thus, most botters would give up. (except the ones that want to sell gold)

I still think BOA is super important as part of the fix to stop the bull****.

BattleTag Droch-1977
    I agree more with Azzure than Flux on this one. Although I see bartering to become more common in D3 after the AH, gold will still be the base to compare item value much like runes, chipped gems, and perfect gems were/are in D2.

First thing I thought when I read this.

Second: Wasn\'t BOA to prevent AH sales? What would equipment binding stop now? 3rd party sites? How many people are going to use those compared to the AH?

IncGamers Member
    \"Eventually you will only get 60 more strength, 15% more crit, etc....There is a finite limit to what the stats can be \"

and that is exactly why the items are not interesting

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/exceptional/ushields.shtml

can you imagine how awesome a Tiamat\'s Rebuke or a Stormchaser or a Radament\'s Sphere would be ?

IncGamers Member
    You assume too many things, such as BoA still existing. The AH was the sole reason to have bind on anything in the game. Without the AH if they keep the BoA trash then they may as well just not release the expansion.

As for gold being worthwhile, maybe if they add in a gambler, but if they don\'t then it will become worthless.

D2 gold was worth something, gambling, sadly because people who run diablo websites never played D2 for more than a few days, they wouldn\'t understand why everything in Diablo 2 had value.

BattleTag KornKills-1468
    @ JAMES TY FOR NAMING SHIELDS I NEVER SEEN ANYONE USE.

This certainly *could* happen which is why Azzure and my opinions are speculation; since game features aren\'t known yet.

My impression is that Bliz wants to reset the economy, changing from a \"gold = success\" to a self found sort of model. And in that light I think existing gold will be devalued by the new systems, hence crafting and such will require a Demonic Essence type material that bottlenecks the use.

But it\'s entirely possible that will mostly be the case, yet there may still be one or two features that allow lots of gold to have some utility? Just not anywhere near the current game state where gold quantity is all that really matters.

Clan Officer - US West Hardcore Nizaris's Avatar

Re: Will Gold Retain Value in Diablo 3\'s Future?

Personally, I do not think gold will retain its value. I was having this discussion with a few of my friends yesterday. This is especially true if they are not going to introduce a ladder. As of right now, I also believe they will not be introducing a ladder because the character slot limit is only increased to 12.

I think they will promote the self-found side of the game that has since been absent with the previous economic model. I would speculate that high level crafts, enchants, and similar enhancements will require account-bound materials that are exceedingly rare. Since there is no Auction House, gold costs will remain manageable even by the newer players.

This reflects Diablo 2 much more and I personally like it better.