If you're like me, then you can't get Diablo 2 to work, no matter what you do. All of the solutions on the internet simply did not work for me. However, I've found a universal solution to fix pretty much all of your screen problems. This is for singleplayer only. This will get you banned on Battle.net. One common solution is to run the game through Glide, but I found that it lowers the quality and performance of the game, and fullscreen does not support it, so I do not recommend it.
Black screen with Direct3D, rainbow colors with DirectDraw, low performance and quality with Glide, low resolution
1. Download Diablo II LoD 1.12 (not 1.13). The installer from the Battle.net site will install this.
2. Run D2VidTst.exe (located in the Diablo II folder). Set video mode to DirectDraw [2D].
3. Download D2MultiRes. Extract and place the files in your Diablo II folder
4. Right click D2MultiResGame.exe and click Properties. Select the Compatibility tab and set the program to be in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Also Disable desktop composition and Run this program as an administrator.
5. Create a shortcut to D2MultiResGame.exe. Right click the shortcut and click Properties. In the target field, place a -w at the end of the line. For example, C:\Diablo II\D2MultiResGame.exe" -w.
6. Download WindowedBorderlessGaming and extract the files anywhere you wish (I recommend the Diablo II folder)
7. Run Diablo 2 through the shortcut you created. It should be in windowed mode.
8. Open WindowedBorderlessGaming.exe, click the program's tray icon and select Add window, press F3 in the game
9. In Diablo 2, enter a singleplayer game and through the ESC menu, select Options > Video Options > Resolution. Select the resolution of your screen.
And there you go, you got Diablo 2 running in fullscreen with absolutely 0 problems. Just as a warning though, it looks a bit different with a higher resolution. It may take some time getting use to, but it's absolutely worth it if it means you can get a running Diablo 2.
If you find any problems, please let me know.
Results 1 to 1 of 1
25-09-2013, 03:42 #1
- Join Date
- Sep 2013
Fullscreen and working Diablo 2, a fix to those who can't run the game
Last edited by Shasow; 25-09-2013 at 04:36.