Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    This clearly benefits those who\'ve used the auction house to maximize their toon\'s DPS. That is, unless you believe Blizzard is going to balance the game around 2million DPS builds. Face it, unless there is a character reset at the beginning of the expansion; you\'ll have the worst auction house offenders running burning thru the expansion in an hour.

It\'s a lot like when the government regulates an activity. The ones who are grandfathered in quietly reap the rewards by preventing others from even entering the market. Even though they are punished a little bit; the barrier to entry is a lot higher now, there is less competition in the future. Which works for them.

So, when the expansion comes and items are traded manually - who are the ones blowing thru inferno level 70 with 3kajillion DPS and selling crap via trade? Yep; the ones who\'ve spent a ton of money at the AH prior to closure.

Pandora\'s Box is open; it\'s a bit too late to close it. Without a wipe.

Re: Blizzard Adds Explanation on Diablo 3 Auction House Shutdown

Shutting down the AH and making awesome loot drop all the time won't fix anything. The gameplay will still be a slugfest. People often call this genre a dungeon crawler, but what should be is a dungeon warp speeder. What made me play Diablo 2 for thousands of hours was the fact that my character could teleport around basically without limitations and that made killing the same enemies 100,000 times over to get the law of avarages on my side to get the loot tolerable. Diablo 3 is so slow that I can't play it, and no AH changes is going to fix that.

BattleTag Greer-1174

Quote Originally Posted by bloat View Post
    But the crappy drop rates are BECAUSE of the existence of the RMAH and GAH.

Granted the affixes and itemization of things sucks, but Loot 2.0 is supposed to fix this.
    This gets posted too often. The low drop rates ARE a function of the itemization. The AH has nothing to do with it. You could implement exactly the same AH in D2.

BattleTag Greer-1174

Quote Originally Posted by Darkflight View Post
    Shutting down the AH and making awesome loot drop all the time won't fix anything. The gameplay will still be a slugfest. People often call this genre a dungeon crawler, but what should be is a dungeon warp speeder. What made me play Diablo 2 for thousands of hours was the fact that my character could teleport around basically without limitations and that made killing the same enemies 100,000 times over to get the law of avarages on my side to get the loot tolerable. Diablo 3 is so slow that I can't play it, and no AH changes is going to fix that.
    D2 was broken by infinite teleport. You enjoyed it in its broken form, but the designers didn't intend for everyone to teleport to the throne room repeatedly. D3 fixed that. There are itemization issues to sort out, but the Enigma rune word was the dumbest thing ever created in the Diablo franchise.

What youre looking for isn't Diablo.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonw View Post
    This gets posted too often. The low drop rates ARE a function of the itemization. The AH has nothing to do with it. You could implement exactly the same AH in D2.
    Yep. And it would have been just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jonw View Post
    D2 was broken by infinite teleport. You enjoyed it in its broken form, but the designers didn't intend for everyone to teleport to the throne room repeatedly.
    100% agreed. Quite apropos the current balance "discussion" in another thread.

BattleTag Greer-1174

Quote Originally Posted by ShadoutMapes View Post
    Yep. And it would have been just as bad...
    How would it have been worse than the WUG/WUW games?

The AH is a good interface. The itemization in D3 makes usable drops too hard to find - but that's nothing to do with the AH.

BattleTag TheNix-6417

So, safe, efficient trading is a bad thing?
    Last edited by TheNix; 23-09-2013 at 09:56. Reason: grammer

IncGamers Member

In a game that (imo...) should be about finding items, rather than trading items. Yeah.

BattleTag Greer-1174

Quote Originally Posted by ShadoutMapes View Post
    In a game that (imo...) should be about finding items, rather than trading items. Yeah.
    Unless everything is account-bound, there will always be an economy and medium of exchange, whether high runes (D2) or gold (D3). The question is where/how that economy is conducted.

The GAH was not the problem. I think those who complained about it are going to realize this next spring.

IncGamers Member

Coincidently I would be just fine with everything being account-bound (or preferably "game session"-bound, so people could share drops with the ones they were playing with at that exact moment).

While trading will still exist without AH, it seems like an improvement though.