Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Singling Community Feedback

Hello everyone,

First I want to start by saying that Thyiad said it was ok for me to open up this topic for discussion. I'm not asking for mod support or anything like that, I just want the SPFs opinion about this.

So I basically took the RWM and Modified dll and I bundled it all up in a zip file and included the Runes.txt inside the Patch_D2.mpq so that it would be easier for people to install. This means that people won't have to be messing around with -direct -txt parameters in order to play the game. I also added a nice and simple text to the Title Screen so that the person would know whether or not they are using Vanilla D2 or Vanilla D2 + RWM + Modified.dll. I've made a short/quick video guide on how to install "Singling": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LyhJ...ature=youtu.be

Another thing I wanted to ask the community is how would the community feel if the Experience ratios for 1.13d were made as they were in pre-1.10? Everyone already knows that starting from 1.10, the experience you get from level 70 on diminishes which means a person would need a lot of time investment in order for them to reach level 99. Most of the time this kills the "leveling endgame" for a lot of people since most people don't have that amount of time and thus stop leveling their characters around mid-to-high 80s.

Overall, Singling just provides an alternate/easier way to install the RWM/Modified dll rather than having to mess around with parameters.

- jon

IncGamers Member

Re: Singling Community Feedback

On your second thought - are you trying to make a mod that changes experience gain? I think most people around here wouldn't want that. Most builds top out in the high 80s, which isn't a huge commitment. Extra levels at that point just gives some more hp and maybe a bit more damage, but they're just gravy points at that point. In that regard, going for 99 is about the experience of taking one (or 3 for Cyrax) character to the next level, to the ultimate level persay. I don't think making that journey easier really adds anything. If someone doesn't want to put in the effort for 99, then they don't have to, and their character really won't suffer because of it. Leave 99 to the highly dedicated

IncGamers Member

Haha alright. Singling 1.0.0 actually had the 1.09 style Experience table, but since I wanted it to be an easier way for the SPF community to get their FAM stuff set up, I removed it since I knew that most people would be against that addition. Thus Singling 1.0.1.

The original video I posted earlier today regarding Singling 1.0.0 can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepCzUg9RhU

Of course the experience sections of that video are no longer valid.

BattleTag kestegs-1550

Yea, no interest in the experience thing here either.

I do like the other mod bundle though, should save people a lot of headache I think.

IncGamers Member

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

So you are fine with the way 1.0.1 is which is just Ladder Runewords and the Modified dll?

The bundle will stay the way it is then, no Experience stuff.

Sounds good to me

Two things:

Maybe check out your definitions:

"Vanilla D2 or Vanilla D2 + RWM + Modified.dll."
    Vanilla D2 is a term that means unmodified. Vanilla D2 is a brand new install of D2, official patch updates only, and without any mods.
    Vanilla D2 + RWM + Modified.dll is a clean install of D2, without mods, with RWM mod and Modified.dll editted into the Patch_D2 file, but still clean and official.

This is less of a topic nowadays, however, some still probably play "Vanilla D2," without the use of mods. To a newcomer wishing to trade, and to see "Vanilla + mods," they may consider themselves vanilla, and taint a Vanilla players stashes.

As said, the trade pool and player base is much more diminished nowadays, but adding incorrect or confusing definitions is not good, even if the trade pools were completely dead. In relation to this, calling your mod: "Vanilla Frosting," can easily be confusing.

In relation to bundling the mods together in one Patch_D2.mpq, I like the idea, but you'll have to come up with an option to replace the modified one with the non-modified one at any point. Most people here simply use different shortcuts - one that activates the text files, and one that runs clean. The challenge being with your modified Patch_D2 file is that you cannot run separate shortcuts; you run D2, and enter B.net, and you'll probably get banned at some point. You would have to have a completely new install, instead of just having a separate shortcut.

I like the idea of having it simplified for newcomers, so good luck with it.

I like it and would definitely use it, assuming ofc it becomes forum-accepted. It particularly suits me as I've never bothered to get the modified .dll running, and I may do some self-mp at some point.

Nice to see people still developing stuff like this for a 12(?) year old game, too.

IncGamers Member

Drystan:

Thanks for the input although you are confusing the wording that I've used.

Yes you are right, that is the definition of Vanilla, however when I say Vanilla D2 + <something else>, I mean that the mod is created from a clean base and not from an existing mod. Thus "Clean Foundation" + Addition 1 + Addition 2 = Singling. The same applies for the name "Vanilla Frosting", it means that you are taking the "Vanilla" game, and adding a few changes to it (Frosting), thus "Vanilla Frosting". I see what you are trying to say but it is a different way of reading something. It's like if I said 1 + 2 + 3, and then you say "How can 1 be 1 if you are also adding 2 and 3?", which it isn't because the end result is 6 (Singling, Vanilla Frosting). .

As for the modified dll, I will have to disagree with you on that. The entire point of using the modified dll in the first place is to make it simple. Having to deal with "more parameters/shortcuts" is against my philosophy. I want it to be an easy drag/drop and play. Anytime a person changes anything in D2 there is a chance of you getting banned whether it is changing a .txt file to enable runewords or modifying the dll or running a glide wrapper. The best thing a person can do in my opinion is just to run two different folders, one with whatever you want, and another with a clean D2. That is the best way a person can guarantee not getting banned.

EmperorMoo:

Awesome! Hopefully it does.

BattleTag maxicek-2583

Mac RWM was always packaged as there is no direct -txt possible, so I don't really see it as an issue if people want to use it.
    I don't think the current system is that difficult though, but appreciate there is an thread of evidence that says otherwise.