Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BattleTag Punkonjunk-1497

Re: Why removing the auctionhouse will probably keep me off D3EXP all together.

We can argue what is and isn't fun all day. Maybe we should remove ingame vendors, because that's not fun? Maybe we should remove in-game trading, because clearly, that's not fun, it should all be drop-trade!

Maybe everything should be bind-on-equip so people don't get all caught up on trading at all. Or better yet, bind to account on drop!

The biggest issue here is choice.

I could choose not to use the auctionhouse.

They could have created a seperate elective mode. Hardcore, softcore, ironborn, whatever.

No auctionhouse, for people who not only don't want to use it, but also for people who don't want to play with other people who use it!

But no. Instead, we're all excited that they are literally forcing everyone to not be able to use it, by taking it away.

So instead of it being a choice, it's now a mandate. That's the big issue. A separate playstyle that was all self found with amped up drops might've been totally cool! Maybe I would have even moved over to it, and really got hooked!

Forcing everyone to play that way is ridiculous.

IncGamers Member

I agree that two separate modes would've been ideal. I guess they figured that dividing the playerbase any more was a bad idea. Also, due to the unpopularity of the AH, there might not have been enough people left using it to justify the cost of upkeeping it (whatever that entails). Has Mosquiera or someone else elaborated on their reasoning for not having two separate modes?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by JEB90 View Post
    The whole fantasy that you will find exactly what you are looking for and never want to trade is a farce. Now they are forcing us back to spam channels and third party sites. Tremendous progress. I guess we can chalk it up to Blizzard's new found religion--if the vocal whiners don't like it, take it away from everyone. AH? Leech? Barb Nerf? Archon Nerf? Check, check, check, and check.
    yes, but they have little recourse. the game was woefully executed on multiple levels. their core audience has been mad salty since release and already broken one game director. their brand image is taking a beating. so, they desperately need to build momentum for RoS.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punkonjunk View Post
    We can argue what is and isn't fun all day.
    Correct, but then you will understand that Blizzard has certainly decided for what will be a majority in March. That's an easier prediction than those which had to be made when the game was designed... well, except for the obvious "keep enough things like in D2" one

They could still have a realm with an auction house, but I guess they don't want the community to split up unnecessarily often.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

IncGamers Member In the name of Zod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greizer View Post
    I agree that two separate modes would've been ideal. I guess they figured that dividing the playerbase any more was a bad idea. Also, due to the unpopularity of the AH, there might not have been enough people left using it to justify the cost of upkeeping it (whatever that entails). Has Mosquiera or someone else elaborated on their reasoning for not having two separate modes?
    If you give 2 modes you must respond to the differences that occur between the two.

BattleTag csullivan-1878

Completely agree with the OP.

I played D2 off and on up until D3 came out. The one thing I hated was barter trading. It was absolutely awful.

I fell in love with the D3 auction house the first time I used it. I could spend some time playing and instead of having to store crap until I could find the right trader (total nightmare), I could throw it all on the AH and save up gold to eventually buy stuff I needed.

I doubt that I'll come back to D3, but I do follow the news to see where the game is heading.

*shrug*

Diablo is and has always been a trading game.
    I, Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germancus, The God, declare above not to be true. A significant number of players, heavenly being among them, didn't have internet good or cheap enough to spend oh so numerous number of hours playing on bnet, so it was pretty much offline or LAN. Naturally, the trade was totally unimportant for a large amount of players.

So, The God does not barter still. The God found a number of Shako's in his time, by godself. However, The God is merciful and understanding, and supports the mortal desire to trade, in safe and secure manner, for items or real money alike - but AH solution was condemned by divine being long time ago - for following reasons:
    1. Being too impersonal and lifeless - it could be organized in totally different manned
    2. The number of items for sale was too great, contributing to overly large offer. Players didn't find 10 worthy items per day - they hardly found one in ten days. A system with 10 items with cashout or last-second overbidding was meant for bots, not mortals. By lowering the number of saleable items, a better selection could be acquired. The God will discuss potential bidding later.
    3. The odd number of hours - XXXVI, really? Why not one day? The system favours rather peculiar life-cycle, needlessly

The system proposed long time ago by divine being was called bartering - a player puts an item, just one item on sale. Seller puts what he desires for item:
    - a price in real money (this is important for both players and Blizzard) - a chance to make money is a very motivating factor
    - short specification - or a characteristics or items he would accept in return

Other players can search for item properties as in AH. After finding an item which is interesting enough, a potential buyer makes an offer in accordance to sellers request, or offers something else which he thinks is interesting enough. The number of offers one player can make is limited to (say) five, in order to reduce spamming to the minimum.

Anytime between 12-24h, seller can accept one of the offers, or ask for more. When an offer is accepted, the seller can put another item on the market, and all offerers get another free offer slot (again, the limit being 5). If seller asked for more, the parts change - he becomes an exclusive and only bidder asking for an increase in price - the other player can offer more, or cancel the deal.

This market allows more personal and interesting interactions between players - for example, names will be listed - if anyone can see your account at any time (which The God is strongly against), why not seeing at least your name when trading? Perhaps players hate each other and doesn't want to deal? Perhaps players are forum or bnet friends and will accept low price in the name of friendship? Perhaps player is an obvious or known botter and people won't deal with him for general principles?

This market system was proposed by heavenly being long time ago, but was ignored completely or ridiculed by plebeian trading caste, unworthy scum from far provinces.

Divine opinion is that the market system is far more personal than AH, but more safe and less degrading than shouting over some channels, like a fish-trader. It doesn't eliminate safe trade possibilities, even building profit on trading, but does not make market exclusive place for getting good items - player needs to have something to offer, in order to gain something. This includes real gold (why not?) but excludes in-game gold, a source of many evils.

This system is imperfect since Blizzard decided to make (all current) maps static, it still does allow botting - but this is a general game flaw.

The God likes better AH-less game than AH-only game, but would prefer to keep some trading, which is destined to happen - real money trade included. In game gold is mostly not needed, as it should be for a currency that appears from thin air, modified several times by varying bonuses.

The God allows divine views to be discussed!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punkonjunk View Post
    Does everyone REALLY want the auctionhouse gone?

I know I don't, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
    I refused to buy the PC version of Diablo 3 largely because of the auction house, even though I'd been looking forward to another Diablo game. I had no interest in playing a game that was primarily an auction house simulator rather than an ARPG. I bought the console version once I found out that there was no auction house and am having a great deal of fun with the game. Now that I've found out that the auction house will be going away in the PC version, I may consider buying the game on PC as well once that actually happens. The online-only requirement may be another stumbling block to me buying the PC version, but I'll see how I feel about it once the auction house is gone and the game is balanced around the actual game rather than the auction house.

BattleTag Greer-1174

Quote Originally Posted by Intolerance View Post
    Completely agree with the OP.

I played D2 off and on up until D3 came out. The one thing I hated was barter trading. It was absolutely awful.

I fell in love with the D3 auction house the first time I used it. I could spend some time playing and instead of having to store crap until I could find the right trader (total nightmare), I could throw it all on the AH and save up gold to eventually buy stuff I needed.

I doubt that I'll come back to D3, but I do follow the news to see where the game is heading.

*shrug*
    This. I spent hours in D2 in trade games, and it was next to impossible to figure out what stuff was worth. D3 solved that.

Quote Originally Posted by sabinerak View Post
    I had no interest in playing a game that was primarily an auction house simulator rather than an ARPG.
    How is this measured; time spent playing vs. flipping AH pages? During a 3 hour session if I use AH it's 20 minutes max. Hardly a prime simulator in my situation @ MP5.

As for removing (gold)AH it is a loss, a huge time saver compared to D2. A year ago I would've cheered out loud but I've seen the light now. On the other hand, if it improves drop rates all is good.