Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Slightly OT: D3 Auction House will close

The news is out!! I don't know about you guys, but this news hit me like a freight train...A pindleskin train filled with uniques! I think this is a huge step in the right direction and with a couple more all-be-it substantial tweaks like offline play, d3 might one day offer us the endless hours of delight that d2 still does =)

BattleTag Skjolde -2230

Re: Slightly OT: D3 will close Auction House

HUUUUUUGE

This might just get me back into the game!

BattleTag maxicek-2583

Now all they need is skill points, stat points, FHR, FCR, Crushing Blow, make spells independent of weapon damage, get rid of those stupid "You can't open this gate yet" type maps and they may have a fighting chance of getting up to the standard of D2. Oh they can get rid of the witchdoctor too. And I want to be able to customise the look of my character more. No more geriatric barbarians.

I would have settled for "Guys we screwed up. Here is D2 with better graphics."

Blizzard just had to say something on GTA V launch day, I think...

Spells independent of weapon damage - I think it won't happen.

FHR - They designed combat pacing in a way you don't get interrupt often, but you find boss packs abusing crowd control effects that force you to have countermeasures bigger than just having FHR in all fights (cannot be frozen, stunned, etc.). Personally, FHR was something that just made my inventory smaller, so, I mean, isn't as meaningful as the murder of the offensive side (CB, Deadly strike, etc.)

FCR - Actually, the breakpoint system Blizzard used is a little weird. It's all IAS centric, some sort of 2 or 3 step animation, and you have IAS breakpoints for individual skills way more complex than D2. Someone (I don't remember who, a director at a GDC presentation, Wyatt Cheng maybe) said they spend years just fixing that - and judging by the BPs, having IAS and FCR on top of that will take some extra years.

Damage based on the weapon - fear not, your wizard doesn't use an axe to split skulls efficiently (one of the issues of the game, for some people). It's like using a sword or axe as an implement and channeling de damage doing so. (I agree with that, nope. I have sources? Nope, but I think it's possible on some D&D versions - and you even deal weapon damage. Interesting times...).

Judging by the datamined info from expansion pack, that may or may not change (in case you missed):

Spoiler

The removal of AH and the datamined info makes this game promising - or at least a hell lot more promising than it was a week ago, imo. Better than D2? Don't think so. I'll say it's good and it works after it gets good and working. What I can't deny and won't deny is - the game doesn't close every hour or so and the point and click works.

Imo, D2 plays faster than D3 (no 30s -1m runs) and that's a big issue. Ok, it's not MOBA slow, but they insist on limitations to make it flawless - and I kinda liked running blazing fast with vigor or shoting more strafe arrows than frames could calculate...

Anyway, it looks like we're getting closer to the "D3 stable version" (as D2 1.09) - I used spoiler tags to hide potential spoilers.

BattleTag TheNix-6417

I must be one of the only people on Earth who think the GAH was the only thing D3 got right. Unless Blizzard does something spectacular with the Loot 2.0 and allows a huge increase in storage space I go when GAH goes.

IncGamers Member

While I was initially extremely opposed to the AH because I prefer to play self found, I will admit I have grown a little more fond of it. Unfortunately I currently spend more time farming the auction house than looking for items because even though the moment a 'legendary' (still dont like that name, thanks wow) drops is still an adrenaline rush, the odds of it being useable are less than 5%. Nevermind the fact that just about every item is unusable without a specific stat roll. This just results in iding and picking up items as a tedious sidequest. Strangely enough, I get the same, and much more frequent, thrill when I get a good deal on the Auction house. So in the end I am playing a game but it doesn't really involve much leveling, completing a grail, testing new builds or community-based tournaments etc...

IncGamers Member

I'm very surprised at seeing such a 180.

BattleTag Skjolde -2230

That 180 just made me reinstall the game.

From what I've read from several players' experience (I only played one week of D3, patch 1.00) I think this was a lazy decision.

The main problem is the loot, not the AH. They could just improve the loot (like they say they are going to do) and set some limitations on the AH (which I'm not going to try and list cause I don't want to make their work for them).

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107

I am indifferent on this, as I do believe as above the items were the problem. Sadly, I can't easily sell my finds for cash. That was the most important thing for me when they got ladders running, it would be a nice way to make money when you can find items early in a ladder that people do want/need.

On the other side, it did feel like actually playing the game was wasting your time in terms of overall wealth, but then D2 was the same way. You could hang out in the trade channels or forums and would get items you needed or that were worth more than actually playing the game. D2 actually had things to do in the game that made you want to play, and the wealth accumulation difference between playing and trading wasn't that much, and it was easier to get a set of specific gear for high level play in D2 than it is in D3.

I would like to see a system in D3 where things are treated as a commodity, for example (a D2 example) if you found Laying of the Hands, you could sell it to vendor at XX price. If you needed one, you could buy it at XX price provided they were in stock. XX price could fluctuate based on supply and demand, % of Laying of the Hands that were worn vs stashed, etc. Rares could still be AH'd in some way, or you could set up a market for them, or something. Going back to forum trolling for gear will be a huge step backwards, but I bet this will be fixed in some other way outside of an AH. Or fixed by making rares worthless except for specific mods (just like D2, hey!).

^^Maxicek said it best. Playing a KT sin in D3 would be a lot of fun with the fancy graphics, better resolution, etc. Fix the bugs and ubers in SP and I would pay $60 for it. Maybe $120, who knows.

Baron-FHR was a great way to separate good defense from bad defense without just looking at how much life you lost per hit. In D2 there were choices, and a better built character felt better when you recovered from hits faster, or had enough life to not get put into hit recovery. A distinct feeling occured that just wasn't "monster B hit me for less damage than before." Of course the D2 system wasn't perfect, and for a lot of characters it didn't matter, but it did add a level of complexity or choice to how you wanted to build and play your character.