Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Throwing poison/plague javelins one after the other

Is there any advantage to doing this? Will their damages stack? For example, if poison javelin does 1000 damage over 10 seconds (100 DPS), and plague javelins do 400 damage over 2 seconds (200 DPS), will the poison damage be 300 DPS for 2 seconds, and then 100 DPS for the remaining 8 seconds?

IncGamers Member

Re: Throwing poison/plague javelins one after the other

It is my understanding that only the last applied poison source is current. For a single attack all poison effects add up, but in the scenario you laid out, if you hit with poison jav and then plague jav, the poison jav would be overridden by the plague jav.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNoseKnows View Post
    Is there any advantage to doing this? Will their damages stack? For example, if poison javelin does 1000 damage over 10 seconds (100 DPS), and plague javelins do 400 damage over 2 seconds (200 DPS), will the poison damage be 300 DPS for 2 seconds, and then 100 DPS for the remaining 8 seconds?
    No, no and no.

Poison damage from different sources competes rather than stacks, so only the source with the highest DPS gets applied (in this case, Plague Javelin's 200 DPS). Any existing poison DPS being applied will always be overwritten by an equal or greater one, so if you used Poison Javelin and then Plague Javelin one second later, Poison Javelin would apply 100 DPS for one second and then Plague Javelin would apply 200 DPS for its 2 seconds, and that's it.

IncGamers Member

Well, I guess the poison damage I described was too good to be true. Thanks for your answers.