Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IncGamers Member

Re: We need a duriel thread.

Also, make sure to get a source of crushing blow to deal with duriel. You don't really need it for normal Duriel or if your weapon is very good dmg-wise, but on nightmare with a weak weapon it helps alot. Any source will do and the more you get the better. If you lack it from other sources, making black (thul+io+nef in a Club/Hammer/Mace) is a good and cheap solution.

If hitting is a problem, use smite, otherwise you can just zeal away.

Or a Strength Cutlass - it's faster than a Black Knout, has CB, and come with built-in leech.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

To be honest, my zealers never had any serious problems with any act boss when questing. My zealer steps forward and kills him, without reatreating for new potions etc., but that might be a matter of different circumstances. We still don't know which level your paladin is or which leveling equipment you are using... if any at all, perhaps you are playing untwinked?

I'm sure you can kill nightmare Duriel with Sigon's set, Manald and Cathan's ring (perhaps replacing gloves and belt with the death set parts). Regarding the weapon, it depends on your level. A few ideas: Butcher's Pupil, Headstriker, Atlantean or ethereal Ginther's Rift. Two Sigon's parts and Cathan give you 16%LL and if that's still not enough (which it should be with ease), add an Eye ot Etlich amulet.

Other good L40-45 equipment: HoZ (surprise!), Duriel's Shell, Gaze, String of Ears, Ravenfrost, ML ring which is better than Manald's (3%ML is enough BTW).

If you can leech back more than you suffer, with the help of healing potions, you don't need CB.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyD View Post
    I second Dazliare's advice: Tank lil' D - never run from him. Get a good shield and a source of leech.
    *points at that*

If you run away, Duriel will charge you and that can hurts much more. That charge might not be blockable, but I'm not sure, and besides, if you are running, any monster will hit you with 95% certainty and blocking will be at one third.
    Last edited by krischan; 16-09-2013 at 13:21. Reason: typos, clumsy wording
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Smite with a fast setup and a good amount of crushing blow is what I recommend against most act bosses (and Ancients). Since you are a Pally you probably have good blocking, so try to shield your merc from Duriel's hits. If he seems to prefer attacking the merc, try to click so you order your Pally to try to run *through* Duriel. That often puts you as close to him as you can get.

IncGamers Member

Do you have a source of "Cannot be frozen"? For me that was the difference for Big D for my zealer attempt. Rhyme is a nice runeword.

You can also have it from Duriel's Shell (level req 41 or 42) or from the belt of the Death set (level req 6), see my tips above. From L45 on, you are using Ravenfrost, of course.
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    If you run away, Duriel will charge you and that can hurts much more. That charge might not be blockable, but I'm not sure, and besides, if you are running, any monster will hit you with 95% certainty and blocking will be at one third.
    Duriel does not use Charge (anymore). I don't know when this changed (most likely 1.10, possibly 1.11), but if he did use Charge you'd really know about it: it would always hit and it could not be blocked, and it would apply 57-66 physical damage in Normal, 192-278 in Nightmare and 547-784 in Hell, as well as stun length (0.6, 0.8 and 1.2 seconds respectively). That would increase by 1/16 with each additional player in Nightmare and Hell, so any player without damage reduction and less than 1,500 life would always be killed outright by a critical hit in Hell at /players 8. If Smite didn't require a hit check or could not be blocked when used by a monster, he would be the bane of any Hardcore player's existence: any lag upon entering Tal Rasha's Chamber, and you might be killed by a Charge-Smite-Charge combo before you could do anything about it.

If you are running and within melee range of a monster when its attack is actually executed, it will always hit you because there is no hit check (the 95% ceiling on chance to hit only applies when there is one).

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    Since you are a Pally you probably have good blocking, so try to shield your merc from Duriel's hits. If he seems to prefer attacking the merc, try to click so you order your Pally to try to run *through* Duriel. That often puts you as close to him as you can get.
    To expand, Act bosses apply 200% damage to a mercenary, while a mercenary only applies 35% damage to them in Nightmare. This reduction also applies to percentage Life Stolen, rounded down, so 2% Life Stolen per hit becomes 0% since [2*0.35] = [0.7] = 0.

Quote Originally Posted by qwernt View Post
    Do you have a source of "Cannot be frozen"? For me that was the difference for Big D for my zealer attempt. Rhyme is a nice runeword.
    Cannot be Frozen does not apply to Holy Freeze and Duriel doesn't apply any cold or freeze length. However, it would help against the Pandemonium Event's Duriel online, since he's Cold Enchanted, adding cold damage and length to his attacks: with it, only -44% attack and walk/run speeds applies; without it, it would be -94%.

No charge? Hmm, that might explain my recent sorcs being so succesful with hit and run .