Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag PawelGawel83-1139

Re: Monk Reaper of Souls Datamined Skill Changes

In addition I'm envisioning a build where you use Fists of Thunder/Quickening, Exploding Palm/Essence Burn, Cyclone Strike/Implosion and Wave of Light/Empowered Wave (or Wall of Light). First you tele to an enemy building up spirit with Quickening, then you palm him to prime him for explosions, then you cyclone strike to draw monsters which also causes quickening to build spirit fast from all monsters being near you and in the end you bell them doing massive damage in conjunction with Essence burn. Boom! Granted this build needs ALOT of spirit. Maybe the FoT's increased 2 spirit per hit with the additional 15 spirit from crits and the teleport will make this build possible. I have used this exact build in conjunction with Breath of Heaven/Infused With Light and WotHF/Fists of Fury and Exhalted Soul passive and during the 5 seconds you can spam palm with cyclone strikes and WoL bells to a spectacular effect. One of the bad parts was that I needed to wait for the Breath of Heaven cooldown to expire to do it again. I hope this build becomes more viable in the RoS. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by PawelGawel; 10-10-2013 at 21:55.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by PawelGawel View Post
    Please note the fact that WotHF/Blazing Fists is not used by itself but in combination with other buffs. So please read and understand before you comment in the way you did. Actually 15% buff from Blazing Wrath is not marginally worse than Blazing Fists, it is actually much better in itself. But as you have said about Blazing Fists So now you actually are admitting that I was exactly correct in pointing out that there is a very good use of the skill than what you've stated:
    Ok, so let's actually take a look at your stated build. You have Foresight (18%) and combination strike (16%). An additional 15% from Blazing Wrath would give you 1.57/1.42 ~ 1.106 or ~10.6% more dps. Blazing Fists would give you a 15% multiplier and an additional 8% damage from combination strike, so 1.50/1.42 *1.15 or ~21% more dps. So yes, Blazing Fists is better in a build where you spend half your skill bar on generators. That doesn't make it good.

I actually experimented with triple generator/combination strike builds on release. They were great when the monk's spirit spenders were garbage. They're pointless now, because if you want damage, you take Wave of Light (or maybe Exploding Palm), and there's no way you're going to fit combination strike and three generators into any decent WoL build.

WoTHF generates less spirit and does less dps than FoT (either Thunderclap or Quickening). It may be better in your niche build, but working in a suboptimal build doesn't make the skill good. It still needs buffs way more than FoT, which is the go-to generator for almost all monk builds.
    Last edited by Athenau; 12-10-2013 at 23:39.

IncGamers Member

You have calculated this correct, but maybe I's my mistake in not mentioning that I use my spirit on casting overawe every 3 seconds for additional 24% dps. Since I'm running Mantra of Conviction in a slot I'm using it to it's full potential. This build is ideal for single targets because you're still attacking with FoT all the time thus generating a lot of crits and spirit, and everything is just buffing that one attack. Do a test and see what kills quicker, the bell in one of the slots or my build. The drawback of the bell is that you can't cast them too often because you need to collect enough spirit to do so. Also there is a knockback. Then you have to reengage to collect spirit again. During that time it's been my experience that I do more damage with my build because my attack never stopped, was up close doing damage from Sweeping Wind all buffed from the generators and mantra and I spawned more tornadoes that shred everything around as well as the main target. So I can do crazy dps and heal insanely too. The builds you're mentioning are good, no doubt about it. Spirit spenders are way better than what they used to be. It seems that the difference in build used is personal preference, but one thing is for sure: my build is not suboptimal. Whoever I taught it to say the same thing all the time, that is the best they've seen. If you're ever on I will show you the build in action and you can show me yours for comparison. In my build I do 575k dps with Overawe. and that dps is constant, no temporary bursts and cooldowns. That of course doesn't include SW and any of the tornadoes which I spawn at a rate of approx. 10 per second if not more. My tag is PawelGawel83#1139 add me as a friend and mention posts and we can do a friendly test to see the results.

IncGamers Member

Like I said, I've played with almost exactly that build (triple generator, combination strike, w. overawe spam). It doesn't come close to Wave of Light with decent gear (meaing 30-40% crit and a big 2-hander with Guardian's Path). You seriously underestimate how often you can drop bells with FoT/Quickening, Guardian's Path, and Inner Storm active. With a little over 30% crit you can use empowered wave every roughly every two FoT strikes. That's 923% weapon damage in a gigantic area, one out of every three attacks. No spirit generator is going to touch that damage output, even if you stack every damage buff the monk has.
    Last edited by Athenau; 13-10-2013 at 22:00.

IncGamers Member

It seems that we'll just have to respectfully disagree on this topic since you won't convince me and I won't convince you it seems. It would be nice to have input from other members of the community on this topic or others. I don't want to seem like we're highjacking the thread or anything. Let's consider this topic between us closed and let others discuss it if they so wish.