Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Hellfire Ring craftng strategy?

I did Ubers with a 4p group tonight and got very lucky on the organ drops (and found a piano for cheap too) and can now make 3 HRs. And I'm not sure what I'll do with them. So I'm wondering about an informal survey of how people approach crafting Hellfire Rings in HC.

Obviously the ring choice depends on other gear, how many rings you have, your class, your wealth, etc. But I'm curious how people approach it. Mainstat to guarantee at least some damage, knowing it'll only be useful for 2 classes? Mainstat and pray for additional damage stats for a real DPS ring? Vit and hope for some CC/CD just to avoid having a huge hole in your DPS? With decent other gear you can overcome a ring slot that adds nothing to your DPS, but it might hold you back by an MP level, especially if you're playing solo.

I will give one strategy tip; make a vit HR and twink it to your new char on the reroll. I've done a new char with a mainstat ring in the past and it's nice for the dps boost, but it doesn't change the play style that much. A vit ring does. It's basically god mode in normal with that much added vitality, which lets you play much more quickly. Plus you don't really need the HR for damage enough to mow down MP10; all you really need for that is a socketed weapon and a decent Ruby (try to get up to at least a Star, for 80/80 damage in a weapon).
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Aahzmadius-1570

Re: Hellfire Ring craftng strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    I did Ubers with a 4p group tonight and got very lucky on the organ drops (and found a piano for cheap too) and can now make 3 HRs.
    Thanks for helping out, by the way. That ended up being a good group and your DPS made things a breeze.

I will give one strategy tip; make a vit HR and twink it to your new char on the reroll. I've done a new char with a mainstat ring in the past and it's nice for the dps boost, but it doesn't change the play style that much. A vit ring does. It's basically god mode in normal with that much added vitality, which lets you play much more quickly. Plus you don't really need the HR for damage enough to mow down MP10; all you really need for that is a socketed weapon and a decent Ruby (try to get up to at least a Star, for 80/80 damage in a weapon).
    My first one, if I ever get enough organs, will be VIT. (I went 3 for 12 on that run; all games at MP5). That will be designated for re-rolling. But I think the next one will be mainstat, due to my gear. I have one ring slot designated for defense, and one for DPS. So I think I'll try for DPS since it's HC (i.e. leave my good defense ring in place).

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag iMikee-2957

One of my first Hf rings i went bit and rolled 03-50 something in damage so that one is basically all i need in terms of twinking. The recent rings i've made have all been dex and hoping for other stats. hard to come by though! granted i've made less than 15 HF rings.

Hardcore Moderator
    America Trade Moderator
    BattleTag ZappaFan-1229

I've crafted a bunch of Hellfire rings and every one of them has been a vita recipe. It gives you the best chance of getting a ring that is useful for something.
    Eschew obfuscation!

Quote Originally Posted by Aahzmadius View Post
    Thanks for helping out, by the way. That ended up being a good group and your DPS made things a breeze.
    Yeah, thanks for the invite. And there was profit had by all. Well, except for you, though you did at least get an Infernal Machine plan.... eventually.

I think vit is better on the whole for the HR. Lots of ways to look at it, but it's not like rolling one with mainstat boosts the chances of getting CC or CD on it; all other stats are totally random, so you might as well take the most valuable stat. MOAR DPS is always tempting, but a typical high level HC char has something like 2400 mainstat and 1200 vit, thus 200 vit is equivalent to about 400 mainstat, in terms of your final char goal.

Lots of gear has mainstat as an inherent mod, and you can often get a much higher roll of that for a lot cheaper than added vit on a random mod. Look at something like Nat's boots; I'm not checking prices right now but I'd bet that 175 dex / 0 vit is a LOT cheaper than 90 dex/85 vit, though it's identical in total stat amount. So make up the 200 vit on your ring and then you can get more total stat on other gear, with more mainstat, for cheaper.

On the other hand, this means Vit is more valuable to get as a random roll than mainstat. So if you do craft a mainstat and get vit as a random roll, that's better than rolling a vit ring and getting a mainstat randomly?

All that said, I crafted one HR last night... and did a dex. And got CC and a socket, so it's a big DPS upgrade for my Monk over the VIt one I'd been using... and yet that switch costs me 220 vit and 75% res all, so I'm not sure it's actually an upgrade. Depends on other gear obviously, and my monk feels very safe on mp2 or mp3, but kind of slow on killing speed, so it wasn't a hard choice to make.
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

IncGamers Site Pal
    BattleTag VTMatt

I generally stick to vit rolls. As Zappa said, it's the best overall chance for a good, usable ring on any character, and the added bonus, the pretty much any vit hellfire makes leveling a breeze is great too.

That being said, one of the 2 really good hellfires I've rolled was an Int. I had a couple random vit hellfires in the stash, and wanted one to boost my Paragon 75 (at the time, 82 now) WD's exp bonus, so I said what the hell, and rolled an Int. Ended up with 262 int/92 vit, and 30some crit damage.

The other was a vit roll which spawned some AS/CD/strength, and ended up on my now dead barb

BattleTag KornKills-1468

I go with vit now as well too.

My best is a 4.5 cc, 60 all res, 50 pysh res, 33-66 dmg one. second best is 3 cc 60 all res some other stats.

BattleTag Hippotion-2165

Vit. Vit and main stat are interchangeable for me, you can balance with gems. Vit works for all your chars, so voila.