Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

D3 Console first impressions?

I don't have the game (no console to play it on) so I'm not adding my own, but I'm curious what you guys who have leapt into it are finding and thinking and feeling. The only person I've talked to so far who is playing is enjoying it a lot, but says he doesn't notice much different in the early going. Not that we expected much different.

A few things he mentioned to me:

* Quests now award an item. He says random blues so far, with +movement speed boots for his first quest reward.
    * The very different difficulty options were confusing at first glance.
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

IncGamers Member

Re: D3 Console first impressions?

I would agree with your friend, but would add that you get used to the difficulty options very quickly. Quests do indeed give random magic items as rewards. The controls work far better than I thought they would, and the 'dodge' button (actually the right stick) works exceptionally well - it's good for putting distance between toon and enemies as well as dodging. It is, in my opinion, a very successful conversion that deserves to do well. I'm glad I bought it.

ETA: My Wizard just got a yellow source as a quest reward. This was for defeating the Skeleton King.

Further ETA: Yellows seem to be easier to come by.
    Last edited by azzthom; 03-09-2013 at 23:39.

IncGamers Member

Well, I was really interested to see how the console played after having sunk quite a few hours into the PC version. Initial impressions from a level 9 hardcore WD playing on MP2.

-AOE skills like Grasp of the dead mostly work, though I've missed a close enemy I wanted to target because the game was still targeting enemies behind the one I was aiming for. Takes the game a split second to catch up. Don't care for it as much as the point and click targeting of the PC version.

-Other skills like splinters work fine. No complaints.

-Playing on medium (equivalent of MP 2) seems to give a density increase, even on normal. I feel like I'm running into bigger packs than I do on the PC version...though not quite the bedlam of MP1+ in Inferno on PC. I've thought that this might be because of the view being pulled in closer to your character so everything seems bigger, closer, etc, but I'm not sure yet. I'll have to test on Easy (MP 0).

-Character seems to run faster out in dungeons than in town. Run speed in general feels faster. This is most certainly because of the closer view I mentioned above.

-Itemization...this was something I was really interested in testing. Of course we won't know much until we get to the end game, but as of the Cathedral level 4, no low level legendaries, but less items on the whole. Notable increase in gold drops, so I'm thinking this is the effect of the converting white items into gold. Much much more to come on this in later updates.

-Random tidbits...You don't have to click on bodies, cracked floor panels, etc to have them release their goodies. Automatic. Vendors do indeed sell better quality yellow items. The inventory is functional and probably as good as it can be for the type of game, but my personal preference is still the Tetris game of the PC version. That being said, being able to mark things as junk to facilitate salvaging and vendor selling is pretty darn convenient.

Anyway....more to come in later posts.

IncGamers Member

I played two characters to level 10 and 11 yesterday and two to level 6, so I can't really judge the game yet.

But my first impression is that it just feels right. Even after having played huge amounts of Diablo 1, 2 and 3 it might turn out that I could like the console controls better than mouse and keyboard. But we will have to see about that once I am higher level. Anyways, playing with the controller works remarkably well.

I can't say much about loot yet, but I found some OK'ish rares. And there are a lot less white and grey rubbish drops.

So far I am really happy and impressed with the way they ported it to consoles.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxe View Post
    I played two characters to level 10 and 11 yesterday and two to level 6, so I can't really judge the game yet.

But my first impression is that it just feels right. Even after having played huge amounts of Diablo 1, 2 and 3 it might turn out that I could like the console controls better than mouse and keyboard. But we will have to see about that once I am higher level. Anyways, playing with the controller works remarkably well.

I can't say much about loot yet, but I found some OK'ish rares. And there are a lot less white and grey rubbish drops.

So far I am really happy and impressed with the way they ported it to consoles.
    I totally concur... I've only been able to play for a (too) short time yet, but after playing the various Diablo versions on PC using the mouse and keyboard for the past 15 years, I was surprised about the ease to switch to playing with the controller and the new UI. This is how Diablo should be on a console (I've also played the original Diablo in PS one, but that felt wrong.) And now I can play with some friends, which we'll try this weekend, for total mayhem. Or on a single screen with my wife (I've been playing all Diablo versions with both of us behind our own PC...).

Also the possibilities you get with the evade stick is really nice, especially for ranged characters like the wizard or demon hunter. Only question it gives me: what is the benifit of Vault? Of course it gives a longer range to jump, but is that worth the loss of a skill-slot?

And since I'm an ironborn fan: playing offline on the console is a good way to do just that.

It could well be that I'll stop playing on the PC till the expansionpack is released...

Quote Originally Posted by ElKo View Post
    Also the possibilities you get with the evade stick is really nice, especially for ranged characters like the wizard or demon hunter. Only question it gives me: what is the benifit of Vault? Of course it gives a longer range to jump, but is that worth the loss of a skill-slot?
    I wondered about that first time testing the console at Blizzard a few months ago. The Evade is much shorter distance of movement, and you can't pass through anything; you just roll into the legs of the monsters. So it's not at all a movement skill or Escape skill like Vault. That said, it clearly overlaps the function somewhat, and the real irony is that the DH is widely-considered the weakest class in the game now... so of course the new console feature partially duplicates one of her best skills.
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

IncGamers Member

Further to my earlier post, drop rates seem to be much, much higher than PC. I'm only in Act 2 and I've already found 2 legendaries. Rares are even more common than I thought, from Vendors, Rewards and Drops, and class specific items are useful very early. One of my legendaries is class specific. I know it's early, but I think -first impressions remember! - that Blizzard may have got the drop rates spot on.

ETA: Just finished Act 2 with 4 Legendaries found.
    Last edited by azzthom; 04-09-2013 at 20:03.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by azzthom View Post
    Further to my earlier post, drop rates seem to be much, much higher than PC. I'm only in Act 2 and I've already found 2 legendaries. Rares are even more common than I thought, from Vendors, Rewards and Drops, and class specific items are useful very early. One of my legendaries is class specific. I know it's early, but I think -first impressions remember! - that Blizzard may have got the drop rates spot on.

ETA: Just finished Act 2 with 4 Legendaries found.
    Spot on?? it seems the drop rates are ridiculously high on console to appease the instant gratification crowed that's only going to play this game 30-50h max before they move on to the next big game of the month.

IncGamers Member

Generalization FTW.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by alcovitch View Post
    Spot on?? it seems the drop rates are ridiculously high on console to appease the instant gratification crowed that's only going to play this game 30-50h max before they move on to the next big game of the month.

I've just finished Act 3, and I only found 1 Legendary during it. It was a higher level version of one that I found in Act 2. Maybe I was lucky in Act 2? Or unlucky in Act 3? Only one of the legendaries is still being used - the one from Act 3. However, there are still lots of yellows dropping. I even got one from a weapon rack. I'm still on normal, but it will be interesting to see if this sort of drop rate continues on higher difficulties. I don't think they are ridiculously high, but I'd rather have high drop rates than have to depend on an auction house. Obviously, some observations from other players on the drop rates they are experiencing would be helpful.