Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

D3X Level 70? New Wiz Skills?

Since the max level is going up to 70 in RoS and all the existing classes are getting new skills and passives, I thought it would be a great time to brainstorm potential Wizard fixes/improvements.

Active skills the sky is the limit, and we can dream up pretty much anything... that said, I think that ideally the new skills would enable new things; new build style, new play approach, etc. Not just better or modified versions of current abilities.

New passives could enable new builds or styles or plug gaps in the Wizard's current abilities.

My main Wiz complaint and the reason I haven't played one in a long time is the very non-glas cannon feel of the class. I loved mages in D1/D2 since they were super blasty and fast, and had to use a big variety of different attacks; selecting the correct one for the situation. That's not viable in D3C, since you need so many defensive abilities, and the Archon build totally bores me since it's just the same thing forever. CM is more interesting, but it's so cheesy with the perma frozen, and it's not varied either. You do the exact same thing against every type of enemy.

First of all, where's the passive that cuts teleport cooldown to nil. Power it with health orbs or kill speed or whatever; I don't care, I just want a wizard who can blink all the hell over the place, as the class always has in Diablo games.

Secondly, how can a multi-attack type wizard exist who isn't just a CM perma-frozen cheeser? Dunno; you'd need 9 skills and for damage types of matter again... but I can dream. Maybe a passive that boosts damage for each type of damage you deal in a short period? But that isn't just a tack on to make CM even more OP?

The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Tougeznut-1970

Re: D3X Level 70? New Wiz Skills?

I would love to see a true version of a fire mage again. All we currently have is Meteor and Hydra. Let's see the return of firewall, blaze, or inferno (? The fire breathing spell, whatever it's called)

sent from my GalaxySIII

I bet a giant hamburger that we'll see firewall in one form or another.

IncGamers Member

The Wizard was originally billed as a homage to the classic Dungeons and Dragons-styled Wizard. That's partly why Arcane Missile, Ray of Frost, Diamon Skin, and Mirror Image exist or are named as they are. The class is part controlling the battlefield, part dealing tons of damage to tons of targets. The weaknesses were to be few in number but significant: the need to manage resources appropriately, the inability to withstand damage, and key knowledge of enemy traits and abilities.

What we got was a class that lived up to almost none of that. I'm with Flux: I want my shooting, my burst damage, and my mobility.

The class overall needs a lot of work to devise a system where CM doesn't rule the day. The biggest thing Blizzard can do is lower or remove the cooldown on most spells, then provide appropriate non-cooldown costs or drawbacks.

The problem with cooldowns is that the abilities aren't fully player-manageable. The intricacies of how and when to use a skill are diminished to a binary it's up or you're screwed. The choice of whether to use one skill or another within a situation is diminished (when one is on cooldown, you have to hit the other). The game then would require the player to choose multiple defense skills to adequately protect himself or herself, which limits build options given the six ability slots. Without CM, most skills with cooldowns are virtually unusable for an Inferno Wizard, because they aren't effective enough as is, and the player would often need to immediately reuse the ability to win an encounter (e.g. Frost Nova), or the cooldown itself is so long, one can't use it in two subsequent battles - even before the boost in monster density (e.g. Teleport). The overuse of cooldowns somewhat reduce the need to manage resource. Using resource or other drawbacks instead of cooldowns is a way to soft-nerf CM without changing any proc coefficients or nerfing CM directly.

In addition, the base abilities of the skills often aren't good enough past nightmare. It many of runes commonly chosen "fix" the skill rather than reinforce or institute a playstyle or build. As an example, before CM was popular, most players still used Diamond Skin. The trip was, that in Inferno, Diamond Skin wasn't strong enough to last its duration even against trash mobs. So players would simply take the rune that increased the amount of damage Diamond Skin could absorb. That's fantastic, but the other runes weren't used because the increased absorption rune was mandatory to even have that skill on the bar. This kind of one-rune-wonder will kill any build diversity anyone attempts.

So let me give concrete examples of what I'm talking about to see if you guys agree:
    Frost Nova. Doesn't freeze long enough to get the job done on anything but trash mobs, and if you have low DPS, not even then on modest MPs. Without CM, if you didn't catch everyone you needed to catch with FN, you need to deploy a secondary defense or you're in a world of hurt for the 12(!) seconds it'll take to recover. Instead, let Frost Nova cost 35 AP, with a 4 second cooldown and 3 second duration. Players could use it often, but it would cost them a large portion of their offense. They couldn't use it repeatedly, except with CM, but the cost would make perma-lockdown difficult.

Another example:
    Archon. No cooldown, cost 50 AP, infinite duration. Archon has a "warm up" period in which its damage is lowered, then a period in which its damage is normal, followed by a period where its damage constantly decreases. Once a player cancels out of Archon, the Archon's power returns to normal over time, but the player is free to enter Archon mode again at any time. To explain it better, consider the player getting a stacking debuff after a certain amount of time in Archon mode, that stacks every so often, and only can be removed, one at a time, by not being in Archon mode for a while. The players figure out how much Archon works in general, and for each situation. Runes can adjust any of these properties.

Concepts like these are what they need, especially for passives. Tricky to new players? Possibly, but they have three difficulties to figure it out and a whole host of simpler skills. I won't bore everyone by going through each skill and each rune, but this is what I want to see fixed with all of the classes, especially the Wizard.
    Last edited by MindGeyser; 31-08-2013 at 02:13. Reason: Grammar, slight clarification.

IncGamers Member

I think that what MindGeyser said is partially correct, and partially not. I agree with Blizzard that core skills should be simple to understand, but I agree with MindGeyser that is many (most?) situations, the base skill itself doesn't do enough, and the skill runes exist as a way to 'fix' the skill by adding a new element, rather than completely changing the gameplay of the skill (which was what the 2008 videos explaining skill runes said they would be).

Given that, I think that the best thing for Blizzard to do would be to change/improve base skills, and then create new skill runes that dramatically change what the skills do, so that you can play a skill in multiple different styles. For example, a new rune idea I had for the wizard is "Disintegrate-Finger of Death," which would change Disintegrate from a projected beam of damage into a high-damage, single target spell (for numbers, let's say 500-600% weapon damage for the same AP cost per second as regular Disintegrate). This would completely change the style of the skill: rather than using it to clear out large groups, it would instead be good for killing tough monsters quickly. Another possible rune idea, using Baal's signature spell against the forces of Hell, would be "Blizzard-Hoarfrost,", changing the Blizzard into a > - shaped frozen plow, damaging, slowing, and knocking back enemies it hits (imagine Baal's Hoarfrost skill from D2, and input with updated graphics here). I think that these kind of dramatic, gameplay-changing runes would do a better job of providing different styles of builds for the endgame.

As for new skills, I would really like to see more 'reality-warping' style wizard skills. That description of the wizard, a 'child playing fast-and-loose with the primordial rules of the universe,' was what really made me interested in the wizard when I first saw the class. However, even with the many arcane spells we have, we really only have two reality-warping styled spells: Time Warp (screwing with the rules of time/space to create a bubble of slowed time) and Archon Form (transforming from a human into an elemental of pure magical energy). I would like to see more spells that emphasize that kind of reality-warping wizard, preferably emphasizing the powerful, destructive style of the wizard (that of the self-trained, rogue sorcerer playing fast-and-loose with the rules of reality). Some ideas:

Erase: Consume all AP, dealing high weapon damage per point spent (maybe 25% per point, so a full globe would do 2500%). This would be obscene damage, but you would be completely without AP, so to use this well, you would need to play a build that focused mainly on spells that costed no AP, so that losing all of your AP would not be instant death. The flavor of the spell is that the wizard is internally ret-conning the universe (rewriting history, with the targeted monster never even existing in the first place.)

Kaleidoscope (unashamedly ripped off of Fate/Stay Night): Summon a copy of yourself with 100% of your max life and 50% of your damage, with a random assortment of 6 wizard skills (at least one offensive skill). While the summoned wizard fights alongside you, if you would die, the summoned wizard instead disappears and you gain life equal to its current life. 120 second cooldown. The flavor of this skill is that you're ripping a hole in the time/space continuum and summoning a random version of yourself from an alternate universe.

To answer tougeznut's comment about the fire wizard, I'd actually prefer not to have a large focus on elemental magic. The main separation, flavor-wise, between D1/2's Sorcerer/Sorceress and the D3 Wizard is that the Sorcerer/Sorceress were good, dutiful students and learned magic by-the-book (which was mainly elemental magic), while the Wizard didn't want to learn the standard spells and stole the big book of dangerous, experimental, reality-warping magic. Because of this, I feel that the Wizard shouldn't havizze that much elemental magic, because he/she deliberately turned away from that kind of safe, normal magic and instead turned to dangerous, powerful, experimental spells. I think that Blizzard should drastically increase the power of the Passive Skills boosting Wizard elemental skills, but that they should leave the number of elemental skills fairly low. The flavor of the Wizard, at least to me, is someone who knows some of the standard elemental spells from his/her years of study, but doesn't know much more of the elemental arts, preferring to use her knowledge of magical theory to craft new, powerful, dangerous spells, disregarding the potential ramifications of creating and casting these spells.

IncGamers Member

As much as I love my CM permafrezie Wiz I have never felt like a wizard playing it. That is really sad. AND any other build that I have tried simple does not have the survivability needed to play the game. Either we need some skill (as described above ) that will GREATLY increase our Boom Boom to allow for massive damage spikes(that will let us stay at range) or teleport heaven or become defensive wizards like battlemages. This is the big picture as I see it.

IncGamers Member

Ahh the Wizard. I love the class in concept but unfortunately fails on many levels, unless you are doing an Archon or CM build. I too was a fan of the flashiness of the sorceress in Diablo 2 and would love to see that kind of thing in Diablo 3. I'm kind of blank on "new" skills, but I do have ideas on how to fix current ones. So, without further ado...

1) Magic Missile = Launches a single missile dealing 125% Weapon Damage as Arcane. Not affected by spells or abilities that slow down projectiles (ie Missile Dampening).
    -> Charged Blast = Missile explodes into a mini arcane explosion when it hits the target dealing 50% Weapon Damage as Arcane to all targets within 10 yds and causes knockback
    -> Split = Splits the Magic Missile into 3 missiles each dealing 75% Weapon Damage as Arcane
    -> Attunement = Each hit generates 5 Arcane Power
    -> Seeker = Missiles will seek out targets. Missiles will remain in existence until it finds a target to hit.

NOTE: A decent spell, but very limited in its usefulness. The changes should make it better as a last resort ability.

2) Ray of Frost = Deals 300% Weapon Damage to a single target as Cold damage. Costs 10 Arcane Power and 5 Arcane Power to Channel.
    -> Numb = Instead of reducing movement speed, it instead freezes the target in place for 2 seconds after you stop using the spell.
    -> Snow Blast = Deals up to 500% Weapon Damage to a single target if you continously attack that same target over 1.5 seconds
    -> Cold Blood = Costs 20 Arcane Power but removes the channeling cost.

NOTE: A decent spell, but only hits a single target at a time. If the channelling cost is reduced it could be used tactically to take down a pack of elites, a boss, or an uber.

3) Arcane Orb = Release an orb of Arcane Energy. Right before it is about to detonate, it pulls all targets towards it within 30 yds and then explodes dealing 350% Weapon Damage as Arcane to all targets within 10 yds, and then knockbacks all affected targets hit by the explosion. Costs 30 Arcane Power
    -> Obliteration = Deals 425% Weapon Damage as Arcane and completely destroys bodies killed (to prevent monster resurrection)
    -> Arcane Nova = Pulls targets within 45 yds and deals the damage to all targets within 20 yds.
    -> Tap the Source = Enemies killed in the explosion restore 2 Arcane Power per enemy killed.
    -> Celestial Orb = In addition to dealing damage and knockback, targets are also blinded for 5 seconds

NOTE: Arcane Orb is a terrible spell without any modifications. The Arcane Power cost is too high and the damage is too low.

4) Disintergrate = Deals 225% Weapon Damage per Second to all targets hit by the Ray. Costs 15 Arcane Power and 5 Arcane Power to Channel it.
    -> Convergence = Thins the ray making it hit less targets, but the ray deals 350% Weapon Damage per Second
    -> Chaos Nexus = Spits out stray energy that deals 75% Weapon Damage to targets hit by it
    -> Volatility = 50% chance to explode dealing 350% Weapon Damage to all targets within 10 yds
    -> Entropy = Turns it into a short range cone dealing 425% Weapon Damage
    -> Intensify = Continously channelling Disintergrate increases its damage to up to 300% Weapon Damage per Second

NOTE: Disintergrate can be useful for dealing with packs, but you can't stand still for a long time to get the best effects from disintergrate.

5) Diamond Skin = Transform your skin to diamond absorbing up to 33% of your maximum life that lasts for 5 seconds; 10 Second Cooldown
    -> Crystal Shell = Increases damage absorption to 67% of your maximum life
    -> Prism = Reduces all Arcane Power costs by 25% while Diamond Skin is Active
    -> Enduring Skin = Absorb up to 20% of your maximum life that lasts for 10 seconds
    -> Diamond Shards = When Diamond Skin wears off, it stuns all targets within 10 yds for 1 second

NOTE: I think that having it set to absorb damage equal to a percentage of your total life rather than a fixed number makes the ability useful for wizards of low HP and high HP.

6) Slow Time = Costs 25 Arcane Power; No cooldown; Creates a bubble of slowed time that lasts for 15 seconds, slowing enemy attack speed by 20% and movement speed by 60% while in the bubble.
    -> Perpetuity = Reduces enemy attack speed further to 40% penalty
    -> Stretch Time = Allies gain 20% increased attack speed while in the bubble.

NOTE: A cool ability that is highly limited in usefulness with the long cooldown. Having a high arcane power cost will reduce spamming and allow a player to be more defensive and stay in one spot

7) Teleport = Costs 25 Arcane Power; No cooldown
    -> Wormhole = Allows you to teleport a second time at no additonal Arcane Power cost within 3 seconds

NOTE: Another cool ability that is highly limited in usefulness with the long cooldown. Having a higher arcane power cost will reduce spamming but will allow players you need to flee the ability to flee if they have the arcane power.

8) Hydra = You can have up to 3 Hydras active at one time that each deals 50% Weapon Damage as Fire
    -> Arcane Hydra = 75% WepDam with explosions hitting targets within 10 yds
    -> Lightning Hydra = 100% WepDam to a single target that leaps up to 3 times each leap dealing 75% WepDam
    -> Venom Hydra = Spits venom pools that deal 40% WepDam per Second and last for 5 seconds
    -> Frost Hydra = 85% WepDam and slows targets by 50% for 3 seconds
    -> Mammoth Hydra = 100% WepDam in a line

NOTE: Having only 1 active that deals very little damage makes this a gimmicky skill. Increasing the number of active Hydras is advisable if you don't want to touch the damage.

9) Meteor = Creates a meteor that deals 400% WepDam as fire within 30 yds and knockbacks targets hit. 50 Arcane Cost
    -> Molten Impact = Deals 750% WepDam as fire within 30 yds
    -> Star Pact = Reduces Arcane Cost to 25 Arcane and Changes Damage type to Arcane
    -> Meteor Shower = Unleash a volley of 7 smaller meteors that each deals 125% Weapon Damage as Fire and arrives twice as fast
    -> Comet = Deals 500% WepDam as cold with 30 yds and freezes targets in place for 2 seconds instead of knockback
    -> Liquefy = The ground at the impact site deals 125% WepDam as Fire for 5 seconds

NOTE: A weak spell that has a high arcane power cost that doesn't arrive immediately, but actually about 2 seconds later, sometimes missing the intended target(s). Increasing the damage to compensate for this will make it a better spell.

10) Blizzard = Deals 125% Weapon Damage per second for 6 seconds to all targets caught within 20 yds. 40 Arcane Cost
    -> Grasping Chill = Reduces movement speed by 50% for 5 seconds
    -> Frozen Solid = 33% chance to be frozen for 3 seconds
    -> Snowbound = Reduces casting cost to 10 Arcane
    -> Stark Winter = Affects an area of 40 yds
    -> Unrelenting Storm = Deals 150% Weapon Damage per Second for 10 seconds

NOTE: Blizzard can be a potent spell, but it affects a very small area, doesn't deal a lot of damage quickly, doesn't inherently slow targets without the rune, and has a very high arcane cost. In some ways this spell is worse than meteor without any modifications.

11) Magic Weapon = Increases weapon damage by 15% for you and your allies within 50 yds for 120 seconds.
    -> Electrify = Attacks cause lightning to arc to up to 3 targets dealing 20% weapon damage.
    -> Force Weapon = Increases weapon damage to +25%; no knockback
    -> Conduit = All attacks restore 1% of your resources (1 Arcane Power w/ 100 Max Arcane)
    -> Venom = Attacks poison enemies dealing 10% Weapon Damage per second for 3 seconds

NOTE: Making this spell affect your allies would encourage players to use it in multiplayer to buff up their party members.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Erebos View Post
    Erase: Consume all AP, dealing high weapon damage per point spent (maybe 25% per point, so a full globe would do 2500%). This would be obscene damage, but you would be completely without AP, so to use this well, you would need to play a build that focused mainly on spells that costed no AP, so that losing all of your AP would not be instant death. The flavor of the spell is that the wizard is internally ret-conning the universe (rewriting history, with the targeted monster never even existing in the first place.)
    I like the idea of that. Not sure about the particulars, but I like the idea of skills that actually change the build and play style. Not just another color of damage, as so many of them are now.
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

IncGamers Member

As for new Wizard skills, how about we take some of our favorites from Diablo 2 Sorceress? ie:

Inferno = Cast forth a line of fire burning all foes caught by it.
    Frozen Orb = Release an orb of energy that spits out frost bolts as it travels to its destination.
    Chain Lightning = Fire a bolt of lightning that jumps to nearby enemies.
    Static Field = Enemy loses 25% of its health.

Or, alternatively, take some ideas from Dungeons and Dragons for the Wizard class:

Fireball = Throw a ball of fire at an area and when it reaches its target it explodes violently.
    Dominate Monster = Force a monster to fight by your side
    Summon Monster = Summon an outsider (ie Demon) to fight by your side for a limited amount of time.
    Feeblemind = Make a monster dumber than a dodo bird.
    Polymorph = Transform a creature into another creature that is usually harmless. Like sheep.
    Polymorph (Self) = Transform yourself into some other kind of creature. Usually something bigger and nastier, like a Winged Molok.
    Cone of Cold = Project a magical cone of ice in front of you
    Displacement = Make your form extremely hard to pinpoint making it very hard to be hit.
    Invisibility = Make yourself invisible. Attacking or casting another spell breaks invisibility. Quafing a potion does not.
    Expeditious Retreat = Run very very fast.
    Flight = Make for the skies and fly around the battlefield. Even fly over ditches and rivers!
    Dispel Magic = Remove a magical effect from your opponent
    Antimagic Field = Prevent spells and effects from occuring in this field. Includes your spells, most monster effects, and elite affixes (ie frozen). Great place for your melee-oriented friends to camp out in relative safety!

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Tougeznut-1970

II'm really liking DoE's suggestions about the experimental mage. We've had the elements, and mastered them in D2. The resource isn't called Mana anymore, it's Arcane power! Let's see more focus on using arcane skills. Most of the available ones aren't even close to competitive (disintegrate, arcane torrent, arcane orb...bleh). When a wizard channels the arcane energy around them to harness elemental magic, they should be dampening that natural power. Keeping it in it's Arcane form should allow the magic to flow more freely... less inhibited...MOAR POWER!

Skills like arcane dynamo could boost (specifically) arcane skills beyond what it boosts elemental magic. Those that don't dampen arcane magic should be more powerful and more direct. I'd love to even see new animations for arcane skills where the area around the summoner is warping showing how they're pulling energy from their surroundings.

Edit: right after posting this I had another idea. How about a passive that allows the wizard to exchange blood for more power. Similar to glass canon where the wizard sacrifices their defenses for more power, but instead this passive will render the wizard unlimited arcane power in exchange for blood. It's kind of treading on witch territory rather than wizards though... I'm thinking something like replenishing your AP pool in exchange for 25% of your health pool. This is something that only the most powerful wizards can harness as it would bring weaker wizards closer to death. The numbers would need tweaking and without significant eHP or sustain the wizard would eventually be extinguished.

This could be a very risky thing for HC players, or if properly managed through APoC and tons of LS/LoH, it could allow for excessive use of stronger skills for well rounded characters. It would also allow for a much more boom and give the wizard the glass canon feel it's been missing.

sent from my GalaxySIII
    Last edited by tougeznut; 03-09-2013 at 17:52.