Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

My Experience with D3 at Gamescom

I was lucky enough to get to go to Gamescom on Sunday, so I figured I'd share my experience and impressions with you all. I played the PS3 console demo and the Reaper of Souls demo, once in English and once in German (my German is virtually nonexistent, so I apologize I can't speak more in depth on any text/dialogue I came across). I'll try to mention things that I haven't read in other recaps (yet).

I played the monk in the console demo. It had its ups and downs. A lot of that was related to the playing environment rather than the game itself; my headphones didn't work and I was on a team with three other guys who all kept running in opposite directions. This made keeping Sweeping Wind up difficult since the screen constricts your movement to keep all players in view. By far, the my favorite part of the demo was being able to roll. It allowed me to attack quickly and then change angles and link attacks together. It also made taking down elite savage beasts more fun since I could roll out of the way of their incoming charges. I was getting a hang of the rhythm of the game on PS3 when suddenly my monk and my teammate's barbarian merged into a super character that wouldn't respond to either of our controllers. The demo ended before anyone from Blizzard managed to untangle them. I'm sure the bug will be fixed by release.

Reaper of Souls

My first RoS play-through was in English. I explored as much as I could and didn't make it through the final boss fight before my time expired. Nearly at the beginning of the demo were two golden chests. There were many more golden chests in general than in D3 currently. That may have just been a feature of the demo though. Monster density was lower on the whole than what we're used to. However there were certain areas where I ended up completely surrounded. There was a good variety of monsters. I fought at least 5-6 different types.

The templar was very fun to play. Fist of the Heavens was great for casting at single enemies or groups and destroying barrels, etc. After a hit or two with Punish, I would cast Fist of the Heavens and move on and the lingering bolts from the rune would mop up whatever monsters were left. Falling Sword feels really powerful and reminds me of moves from arcade fighting games. It also would stun enemies on impact, so in combination with Shield Glare, I could keep bosses incapacitated for most of the fight and I managed to kill an champion pack without taking any damage. The character was understandably overpowered for the demo. I never came close to having any health issues.

The first part of the demo is pretty linear. After a fight in a cathedral with the first boss, I reached a city which I never managed to explore completely. I came across two events in buildings in the city. The first involved helping a reformed cultist clear some rooms of enemies and then finding a hidden room behind a bookcase that contained two golden chests. I found the second one in the German play-through so I don't know what the context was. There was a woman who transformed into a large elite monster that dropped a bunch of items upon death. The town exited into a narrow passage filled with more bodies than the Butcher's lair in D1. That corridor led to the final boss. Forgive me if I forgot an area or two.

During my two play-throughs I found three unique items. Had I made it to the end in the first game, I would have found a fourth. Both bosses always seemed to drop a legendary, and the first boss always dropped the same unique flail. The second one had different drops. The guy playing next to me found a helm. I found a polearm. The name and stats were in German. I also found a pair of legendary pants in my German game from a non-boss encounter (sorry, I don't remember if it was a chest, elite pack or event). I found nearly enough rare items each game to completely change out my original gear. All rare items that I noticed said 'Account Bound' except for one which said something like 'Bind to account on equip' and offered a warning box to the same effect before it let me wear it. I'm guessing this was one of those class-specific targeted rares mentioned in RoS presentation. I also found a new type of gem, a diamond (I think). I can't recall its properties.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. I'll post again if I happen to think of anything else. Overall I really enjoyed it and wish I had more time. It was fun and refreshing compared to D3 currently which, for me, has grown rather stale.

BattleTag Flexy-2748

Re: My Experience with D3 at Gamescom

Ohhhhh Diamonds are back in the game? Shame you didn't remember what it does!
    Also, I really like the (apparently rampant) usage of account-bound items. It sounds like a good way to keep most of the best items out of the AH.

I'm very hyped. Can't wait for more info during Blizzcon.
    But it's a shame that playing vanilla D3 has now become obsolete. If they'd at least patch in Paragon 2.0 ASAP, we could farm levels until RoS hits.

BattleTag Ignatius-1870

I've read that Diamonds...

increase resistances in armor
    decrease CD in helm
    increase damage against elites in weapon

@OP

Even though the uniques were in German, is there anything you can tell us about them? :/ New models, updated old uniques...

Thanks for the writeup

Quote Originally Posted by fmulder View Post
    Thanks for the writeup
    Agreed...

Thanks buddy

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by pryidev View Post
    Agreed...

Thanks buddy
    No problem. Glad to share what little I remembered.

@TheDestructor

It's possible the pants were Hammer Jammers, provided that they can now roll at a lower level. The pole arm and the helm from the game next to mine both looked like new models.

As you said, I think the drop rates and quality were turned up for the demo. That said, they're clearly going to spew out more oranges and greens in D3X than in the current game, and those guaranteed legendary drops for story bosses while leveling up new characters are going to be fun.

That said, I'm waiting to see how the "low legs scaled up and high legs scaled down" thing is going to work. As we covered in the big and ongoing legendary item drop survey, some of the legendaries that are the best and least seen (Mempo and Witching Hour especially) are that rare precisely because there are multiple set/legendary items of that same type. You never find a Mempo since there's Andy's hat, WD class hats, Monk class hats, Wiz class hats, set helms, etc, all diluting the odds of a mempo when a legendary helm drops. And it seems like that's only going to get much worse in D3X if they're allowing the lower level helms to scale up and maybe drop in Inferno as well?
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

It is quite unbelievable that it is so difficult to swap lines "ItemType type=rng.randomItemType();" and "if (rng.randomBool()) { // cool got a leg"

Question for ZZ: Did you notice Nephalem Valor stacks on the PC demo?

On a ninja video it seemed to show 2 stacks on a character, and demo chars were obviously not level 60. So speculation is that NV will work all throughout the game now, with possibly different bonuses provided.
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    As you said, I think the drop rates and quality were turned up for the demo. That said, they're clearly going to spew out more oranges and greens in D3X than in the current game, and those guaranteed legendary drops for story bosses while leveling up new characters are going to be fun.

That said, I'm waiting to see how the "low legs scaled up and high legs scaled down" thing is going to work. As we covered in the big and ongoing legendary item drop survey, some of the legendaries that are the best and least seen (Mempo and Witching Hour especially) are that rare precisely because there are multiple set/legendary items of that same type. You never find a Mempo since there's Andy's hat, WD class hats, Monk class hats, Wiz class hats, set helms, etc, all diluting the odds of a mempo when a legendary helm drops. And it seems like that's only going to get much worse in D3X if they're allowing the lower level helms to scale up and maybe drop in Inferno as well?
    How can you be sure it works that way? maybe mempos simply have lesser chance to drop? Josh specifically said some legendaries will be harder to find than others.

Anyways assuming you are correct, currently there are 10 legendary helms that drop in inferno. and 27 total droppable helms ( not including crafted ones ) So even if they double the legendary helms in the expansion there will be 54 helms.
    so now you have a 1:10 chance for mempo and in the expansion youll have 6:54 ( assuming 6 times as much legendaries like sort of advertised ) which means you will still have a better chance finding a mempo in RoS.

Of course I dont think they will actually double the number of legendaries probably less which further increases the chance of finding the helm you want.
    Last edited by Rpgguy; 28-08-2013 at 11:56.