Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Crusader first reactions?

The Crusader class looks good from what we saw. I missed having a real paladin type class in Diablo. The Monk is fine but he isn't a pally!
    Last edited by ThomasJ; 23-08-2013 at 02:31.

Quote Originally Posted by capnlarge View Post
    Have you played a public game as a ranged attacker with barbs in your party? They are usually horrible tanks. They always whirlwind right past the packs.
    I realized why there's some dispute on the need for a tank, and mentioned it in a main page post but I'll repeat it here. It depends on whether you play HC or SC.

The Crusader and all dev comments about him are from a softcore PoV, where there are no tanks. All Barbs and Monks in SC are dual wielding or using a skorn and generlaly racing through things, moving quickly, dealing huge DPS and tanking nothing but bosses, and that only occasionally. From that experience, there is no tank or shield using class in D3 and the Crusader is something very new and tanky.

If you play HC, you're used to most monks and Barbs using shields, playing as tanks, running with huge hps and block % and resistances, so when you see the Crusader he seems redundant. That was my initial reaction, and probably shared by many other HC players.

No big conclusion here; just that it explains a lot to me about how diff players reacted differently to the novelty and design of the class.
    --Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    I realized why there's some dispute on the need for a tank, and mentioned it in a main page post but I'll repeat it here. It depends on whether you play HC or SC.

The Crusader and all dev comments about him are from a softcore PoV, where there are no tanks. All Barbs and Monks in SC are dual wielding or using a skorn and generlaly racing through things, moving quickly, dealing huge DPS and tanking nothing but bosses, and that only occasionally. From that experience, there is no tank or shield using class in D3 and the Crusader is something very new and tanky.

If you play HC, you're used to most monks and Barbs using shields, playing as tanks, running with huge hps and block % and resistances, so when you see the Crusader he seems redundant. That was my initial reaction, and probably shared by many other HC players.

No big conclusion here; just that it explains a lot to me about how diff players reacted differently to the novelty and design of the class.
    Well at the very least, it seems that the crusader will be more effective in this role because it sounds like he gains damage from his defense?

BattleTag Gus-2965

I kind of like the fact that we are having a class with a shield (I like sword and board style).

Now, as everyone, I think the character looks too similar to the monk. Especially because of the visual effects that are quite similar (light based attacks, holy magic...).

When the Monk came out, it was already a twist around the Paladin class (actually it was the holy magic of the Paladin mixed with the martial arts of the Assassin). So using once again the same class is a bit disapointing.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post

I use shields primarily in hardcore however my latest barb has never picked one up (and isn't using defensive passively either). I am excited for the Crusader though, I love characters dedicated to being huge tanks warriors and in most RPGs I always go straight to the Daedric armour so to speak.

However, will the Crusader really beat a barb with three defensive passives and a shield? And secondly, does this mean we can expect some type of shield redesign to make them good, and still ensure that this character will receive more benefits than another shield user? Maybe passives that support sword and board? Maybe one that doubles stats or armour on shields or increases them? Or what I hope, a combination of with shield off hands that add damage as.well.

Also, for the record for some reason the shots on the website make me think of 40k Black Templar space marines. Am not sure why, they just do.

Sev

Will they add crusader only shields with guaranteed +resist all?

Quote Originally Posted by RazeBarb View Post
    No need.

Gonna play through act 5 with normal pace and then race to lvl70 with my Wizard.
    After that it's lootruns all day, errday.
    Totally agreed with you...

Quote Originally Posted by Severoth View Post

Also, for the record for some reason the shots on the website make me think of 40k Black Templar space marines. Am not sure why, they just do.

Sev
    A bit like this guy? I think its due to the banner on his back
    http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery...r,%20Uriel.JPG

I don't like it, but not as much as I dislike the monk. The real question is, are they able to actually support a party? The Templar is supposed to be some sort of tank for you, but they simply ignore him unless his wastes his taunt. I want to see how they can handle several plagued pools or arcane sentry orbs.

BattleTag Halfsoul-2361

Quote Originally Posted by Severoth View Post
    I use shields primarily in hardcore however my latest barb has never picked one up (and isn't using defensive passively either). I am excited for the Crusader though, I love characters dedicated to being huge tanks warriors and in most RPGs I always go straight to the Daedric armour so to speak.

However, will the Crusader really beat a barb with three defensive passives and a shield? And secondly, does this mean we can expect some type of shield redesign to make them good, and still ensure that this character will receive more benefits than another shield user? Maybe passives that support sword and board? Maybe one that doubles stats or armour on shields or increases them? Or what I hope, a combination of with shield off hands that add damage as.well.

Sev
    yeah, interestingly both Jay Wilson and Josh Mosqueira worked on warhammer 40000 so itīs pretty obvious where the inspiration comes from, but that doesnīt mean that the crusader is any less interesting. In fact, I Think itīs a very cool class(having seen his skills, even looks stronger than the other classes) and I am really looking forward to it, so well done Josh.